Ranking of D.O. schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesBond15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a ranking for DO schools? I know that Michigan State is the elite, but where do the other ones fall? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a ranking for DO schools? I know that Michigan State is the elite, but where do the other ones fall? Thanks!

I don't know what type of ranking you are looking for?? What quality of the schools is being ranked here?? My opinion (which is worth nothing as a pre-med):

few of the best (in no particular order):

-PCOM
-KCUMB
-DMU
-CCOM
-MSUCOM
-NSUCOM
-OSUCOM
-KCOM
-UMNJD
-TCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say that I've ever seen this anywhere, not like with allopathic schools anyway. The only thing you'll get on SDN is personal opinion. BTW, how exactly do you "know" that MSU is the elite DO school?

I can say that U.S. News and World Report ranks my school (WVSOM) as one of the best in the country...... in rural primary care => depends on what criteria you're looking for dude!

PCOM......every doctor I speak to raves about it....literally. Doctors range from adcoms on 3 MD schools to program directors. They said its one of the tops programs in Philly....I will admit though, that statement seems a little far fetched due to the big shots in the area.

One of the things that I like about DO schools is that less people choose a school because of some arbitrary ranking. Most people that get into multiple osteopathic schools weight the pros and cons of each school significantly. Every school has good and bad things about it. You'll find that the older schools are more highly regarded, but they've had a couple of decades to a 100 years to build their name.

LECOM-Bradenton's class of 2009 was #2 on their Step 1 Board pass rate with a 97.4% (give or take 0.2%), and tied for first in the country on their Step 2-PE with a 100% pass rate. According to our Dean, the numbers are looking very similar for the next group of students. I don't know how you can get more elite than that.

............ BUT! Don't listen to me at all. MSUCOM is a fantastic school for some. As for others, not so much. Good luck.

PCOM is the best DO school.

period.

all the others are variations on the number 2.

One of the things that I like about DO schools is that less people choose a school because of some arbitrary ranking. Most people that get into multiple osteopathic schools weight the pros and cons of each school significantly. Every school has good and bad things about it. You'll find that the older schools are more highly regarded, but they've had a couple of decades to a 100 years to build their name.

well said. :thumbup:

LECOM-Bradenton's class of 2009 was #2 on their Step 1 Board pass rate with a 97.4% (give or take 0.2%), and tied for first in the country on their Step 2-PE with a 100% pass rate. According to our Dean, the numbers are looking very similar for the next group of students. I don't know how you can get more elite than that.

............ BUT! Don't listen to me at all. MSUCOM is a fantastic school for some. As for others, not so much. Good luck.

Elite or elitist? :rolleyes:

How about the % of graduates who match at their #1 program? I think that is much more relevant and important when deciding on a school.

I'm equally as elitist as everyone who says their school is the best. Basically, don't listen to anything anyone says about their school (or if you do, take it as an opinion and not fact). If you do not know what kind of medical setting is right for YOU, then apply early, apply broadly, and hope you can interview broadly. Therefore, when you are out visiting each site, you can make the best decision for YOU as to which school you want to attend.

When I applied to school, TCOM was my favorite. After I visited and interviewed at LECOM-B, it changed. I love my choice and I love going to school each and every day because of it. I cannot imagine being at some medical program every day where I am miserable and upset to go to class. Hell, just one week ago I accidently perforated my eardrum with a Q-tip, and yesterday got an inflamed uvula from some allergic reaction with something I ate the night before, and I cannot wait for school tomorrow.

In case you are feeling "TLDR," I can sum it up for you: go where it makes you happy. Otherwise, life is going to suck.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd say that Michigan State and Oklahoma State, as well as PCOM and CCOM are clearly the ones to beat. KCOM is also very good.

Ranking is subjective and unique to each particular individual. As you're throwing out opinions, remember every school is represented on SDN by a student so be nice with your rankings and don't trash other schools.

That said, for me, the older the school is the higher I have seen it "ranked."

From what I sort of remember, Michigan was actually part of the US News ranking (the DO as well as MD school).

I was sort of looking for a US News type of ranking.

Here is it: http://www.com.msu.edu/pub-rel/ranking_apr2005.html

if you pick your school based solely on rankings by US news, you will likely be very dissapointed. picking a medical school should be MUCH deeper than that.

Also..... "The rankings are based on a variety of factors including peer assessments, student achievement, selectivity and — in this particular category — the number of graduates who enter primary care."

Great. MSU has more graduates go into primary care than most other schools in the nation. That doesnt mean anything. I'm not trying to say that MSU is a bad school, nor am I saying you shouldn't apply there, I'm just suggesting you broaden your criteria for applying/attending a medical school. Your reference CERTAINLY does not justify the conclusion that MSU is the best DO school.

Oh, no don't get me wrong. I am not picking based on ranking, but I was just curious to see if there was one and where the schools fall.

Remember these golden words for the rest of your life:

1) What is the best medical school?
A: The one you got accepted to.

2) Which is the best speciality?
A: The one you are applying to.

3) What is the best residency program?
A: The one you are going to.

In other words, it really depends on what you make of it. I have worked with students/doctors from the 'best' schools/programs who might know the facts but don't have a clue how to approach patients. Saying all that, it is true that there are some schools that are better than others in terms of research and such.

This board is a phenomenal resource BUT it is certainly a SUPER SMALL sample size. There's good insight both pro and con for schools but everything should be taken with a grain of salt IMO.

Ultimately it should be where you feel best after interviewing. I believe you'll know or atleast have an idea. Go where YOU are most confident regardless of the talk on this board.

These are lessons that I am trying to carry with me as I decide. And I believe it's the right way to go. Goodluck!

Oh and like that above poster stated, the best medical school is the one you get into!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=440793

here you go....this should give you all your heart desires. A thread on the same topic full of conflicting opinions which can only lead one to conclude that trying to rank the DO schools on a pre med forum is absolutely worthless.

I've been a member on here for a while and watched threads on this pop up and the flame wars that start in turn.

ryserr21 hit the nail on the head. Its all opinion and the best is likely the one that fits your particular needs (location, boards pass rate, specialty emphasis, etc).

I don't know about other DO schools, but I interviewed at DMU and really liked it. They have some excellent simulation labs and great training for surgical techniques (surgical lab) used in years 3 and 4. Great student body as well.

MSU-COM's program is outstanding only because it has state support of its residency programs and affiliated hospitals. Other than that, it is actually a less impressive school on several measures... one of which is that it graduates predominantly primary care students and I'm told their curriculum really stresses primary care...

I think you'll find that the oldest schools have the greatest amount of inroads into their particular region. Some schools that come to mind are:

PCOM
DMU
CCOM
(maybe) KCOM

And others that are state-subsidized:

UMDNJ-SOM
MSU-COM
TCOM

You can't really rank them or med schools in general. Everyone is going to take their individual experience away from med school.

Some important factors to consider are:

1. Location
2. Attached or affiliated hospitals
3. Residency programs
4. Reputation amongst physicians
5. Alumni networks
6. Cost
7. Ability to do research

etc etc etc.

Once you're 3 weeks into school, you smell like a ****ing cadaver all the time, and you've got a 3" binder, and it is 2/3 filled up with power points, and that's just from one class, you're not going to give a **** what the ranking is.

The only thing I can think of is if there is something specific you're looking for, like a specific research opportunity, then you will want to look for places that offer it.

Once you're 3 weeks into school, you smell like a ****ing cadaver all the time, and you've got a 3" binder, and it is 2/3 filled up with power points, and that's just from one class, you're not going to give a **** what the ranking is.

The only thing I can think of is if there is something specific you're looking for, like a specific research opportunity, then you will want to look for places that offer it.

Spoken by a true OMS-I. How'd your first exam go, TT?

I wish I knew how many times I've used these same words before. Forget about my post count, though, because I'm sure I've said it about 8 gazillion times. THERE IS NO BEST DO SCHOOL. What is best for you is certainly not best for me. Thus, my top ten rank of schools is likely to be far different from yours. This is the number on truth of life: SOMEONE ELSE'S RANK DOESN'T MATTER.

I wish I could find the post but it's been several years ago. Someone once made a ranking list based on geographic locations. Highest school (as in how far above sea level), Warmest school (as in the highest average temperature), Northernmost school (well...I guess you can figure that one out too), and several other obscure categories. The thing is that those rankings are just as equally valid as any other "best" ranking you'll find.

The bottom line is what is "best" for me is not necessarily "best" for you. Most people think PCOM is a great school, and it is, but it would suck the big one for me. It's too cold there and it costs too much, IMHO. It's a great school and is probably near the top of most lists, but what difference does it make to me? It snows; therefore, it blows-- to me at least (apologies to PCOMers :))

Please, please, please try to concentrate on finding a place where ou fit in and feel comfortable. There is not a single DO school out there where you can't get a good education. Look at the match lists....they ALL have great matches for people who work hard. Most students pass the boards at every school. zthe good students certainly do.

My thought has always been that you will do the best at the place where you are most comfortable. Go visit a variety of places. I persnally limited myself geographically because I wanted a warm place. I ended up finding a place I fell in love with. Hopefully, you'll do the same.

Forget what other people's opinions are and make your own personal ranking list. Sure, you can listen to what other people say when forming your opinion, but you have to know what criteria they are using to form their opinion. Have you ever been on a jury and listened to the witnesses of an accident? They all see it differently because they are looking at it from a different point of view. Look at these schools from your point of view-- not someone else's. Listen to their comments, but take their lists and throw them right out of the window. They don't mean jack to you.

I'd be interested in finding out which DO schools have an affiliated 'home' hospital where most people do their rotations?

I will proudly add on that VCOM is one of the best schools too!!! Believe me :D

scpod, hate to break it to you, but Philadelphia has some of the mildest winters in Pennsylvania. Go west towards Pittsburg or north towards Erie and its like entering another world. Go into NEPA and the same is true. I have never experienced a "big winter" in Philadelphia sans my freshman year when it snowed 16" on campus but only 2" at home in the Pocono region. My point: you'da survived at PCOM :D.

....Philadelphia has some of the mildest winters in Pennsylvania.... you'da survived at PCOM...

Nope, I'd have packed up and gone south for the winter:). Mild for PA is not the same as mild for FL....LOL!

"Philadelphia average annual snowfall is 21 inches per year.
The average winter temperature is 33 degrees F.....

....The weather in Bradenton Beach is comfortable. By October of each year, the first northern cold fronts come in, blocking the trade winds. At this time the temperatures drop into the 70's overnight with the humidity dropping as well. By the time spring rolls around the trade winds are back with daytime temperatures in the 90's...."

The past three winters really have been mild... we get rain moreso than snow. You should get out in the cold every once in a while, the cold adds color to your cheeks.

I've lived in both PA and Florida. I can say that a "mild" winter to anyone north of virginia is vastly different than a mild winter to someone down here. When it hits about 55 degrees people break out heavy coats here. No...I'm not joking. I was still wearing a tshirt and flipflops when it was 50 out and people thought I was nuts.

A lot of factors go into ranking a medical school. People complain that US News mostly base their ranking on research funding but that's not true. They use several factors but the one that stands out , at least to me, is the residency director's grade. The report polls residency directors across the country about their experiences with different medical school graduates. It answers questions like do they possess strong academic knowledge? Did they have superb clinical skills? Good work ethics?
So basically, you are not getting anecdotes(as is common on DO threads) but rather an up-close view of how R.Ds view your school which could impact your residency placement and selection.

Also research is very important since it shows that the school is not only interested in putting out competent clinicians but also intellectual powerhouses. Finding the cure for cancer can do wonders for one's school ranking.

Therefore, since most DO schools have minimial research funding compare to MD schools and there is no hard data on how R.Ds across the country regard each school's graduate, it's really hard to rank them. I wish we had some form of DO ranking if for just the fact that it will force some schools to step up their game. Instead of having us select a school based on weather patterns.

USNEWS,

Primary Care
#7 MSUCOM

but couldn't find any other schools.

....They use several factors but the one that stands out , at least to me, is the residency director's grade. The report polls residency directors across the country about their experiences with different medical school graduates. It answers questions like do they possess strong academic knowledge? Did they have superb clinical skills? Good work ethics?
So basically, you are not getting anecdotes(as is common on DO threads) but rather an up-close view of how R.Ds view your school which could impact your residency placement and selection.....

Sounds good the way you put it, but that's a huge oversimplification, as well as a little misleading. Here's how it really works:

US News has two separate rankings, one for the research model and one for primary care. The residency director's opinion counts as 20% of the score in the research model and 15% in the primary care model. RD's were asked to answer "i don't know" if they had little info about a program. Also, only 25% responded to the survey in the research model and 18% in primary care in 2007.

There's also a "peer assesment score" (20% research model; 25% primary care model) where school deans, deans of academic affairs, and heads of internal medicine or the directors of admissions were asked to rate other programs, but only ones they were familiar with. 48% responded.

Thirty percent of the ranking goes for NIH funding in the research model and percentage of grads entering family practice, pediatrics, and internal medicine over 3 years in the primary care model.

The rest of the ranking is "student selectivity", including mean mcat score (13% research; 9.75% primary care), mean undergrad gpa (6% research; 4.5% primary care), acceptance rate (1% research; 0.75% primary care), and ratio of full-time faculty to students (10% research; 15% primary care).

So, it's a lot more than just residency director's opinions going into it.

The London Times has probably the most accurate and objective criteria for ranking universities, so let's see if we can draw any conclusions from that...

The last ranking I saw of theirs had my alma mater, The University of Texas at Austin, ranked as something like the #15 university IN THE WORLD.

What that means is that I am ****ing hard core smart as ****. And by the distributive property of school rankings, since I attend GA-PCOM, GA-PCOM is among the very best osteopathic schools in the world, and this extends to medical schools in general, throughout the galaxy.

The London Times has probably the most accurate and objective criteria for ranking universities, so let's see if we can draw any conclusions from that...

The last ranking I saw of theirs had my alma mater, The University of Texas at Austin, ranked as something like the #15 university IN THE WORLD.

What that means is that I am ****ing hard core smart as ****. And by the distributive property of school rankings, since I attend GA-PCOM, GA-PCOM is among the very best osteopathic schools in the world, and this extends to medical schools in general, throughout the galaxy.

HAHA. I'm sold. GA-PCOM is definitely the best osteopathic school.

You want a good school? Stewart Univesity International School of Something or Other. #1 Med school in the WORLD according to their website AND its only been around for like 3 months...think how good it'll be in 4 yrs when you finish. That being said...school rankings wont make you a good doctor, only you will

Ummm, there might be a little misunderstanding because I previously stated that a lot of factors go into ranking a medical school. Residency Director's grading is the one factor that carries more weight to me when I'm assessing potential schools.

Ummm, there might be a little misunderstanding because I previously stated that a lot of factors go into ranking a medical school. Residency Director's grading is the one factor that carries more weight to me when I'm assessing potential schools.

No misunderstanding. You pointed out two specific ones and left out all of the other factors that US News uses. You pointed out why you think someone else's opinion about a school's students is the most important factor to you. I simply gave everyone the rest of the facts, telling them how much weight US News gives to each category, so that they might understand where the ranking truly comes from.

Sounds good the way you put it, but that's a huge oversimplification, as well as a little misleading. Here's how it really works:

US News has two separate rankings, one for the research model and one for primary care. The residency director's opinion counts as 20% of the score in the research model and 15% in the primary care model. RD's were asked to answer "i don't know" if they had little info about a program. Also, only 25% responded to the survey in the research model and 18% in primary care in 2007.

There's also a "peer assesment score" (20% research model; 25% primary care model) where school deans, deans of academic affairs, and heads of internal medicine or the directors of admissions were asked to rate other programs, but only ones they were familiar with. 48% responded.

Thirty percent of the ranking goes for NIH funding in the research model and percentage of grads entering family practice, pediatrics, and internal medicine over 3 years in the primary care model.

The rest of the ranking is "student selectivity", including mean mcat score (13% research; 9.75% primary care), mean undergrad gpa (6% research; 4.5% primary care), acceptance rate (1% research; 0.75% primary care), and ratio of full-time faculty to students (10% research; 15% primary care).

Thanks for this breakdown. I was curious about this but never looked it up. Interesting to say the least.

Thanks for the links?

The Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) Class of 2008 scored the best in the nation on the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX) Level 2, marking the second consecutive year the medical school has been the top performer on this exam. The class, which performed best in the nation for all osteopathic medical schools, also had a 100 percent pass rate on this challenging examination.

Wow. Congrats to TCOM. Hopefully our dean learned a thing or two while he was at TCOM so he can work some of that magic here at Touro NV. He's doing an outstanding job so far :thumbup:

The Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) Class of 2008 scored the best in the nation on the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX) Level 2, marking the second consecutive year the medical school has been the top performer on this exam. The class, which performed best in the nation for all osteopathic medical schools, also had a 100 percent pass rate on this challenging examination.

I've also heard that TCOM students have a very high USMLE pass rate.

I've also heard that TCOM students have a very high USMLE pass rate.

The National Pass rate for all MD schools on USMLE I is 94%. 80% of my class (2009) took USMLE I and we had a 95% pass rate.

I also saw an email from our Dean today that our pass rate on COMLEX I this year, for the entire class of 2010 is 99% ( I guess they had one failure).

TCOM 2009

Hopefully I am able to word this correctly and do not get burned:

Putting aside considerations such as location, cost, age of school, if I wanted to increase my chances of getting an MD residency in a competitive field such as ortho or derm, which osteopathic school(s) would be best for this?

Again guys my goal is not to start a war or make a point but I am sure there are some students out there who would like to go to the school which best prepares them for getting into competitive allopathic residencies, I know this can be done at any and every school if the desire is there, but I am sure some schools gear their education and rotations towards family practice whereas other schools have many more opportunities for students to compete with allopathic students in getting highly competitive residencies. I hope I have not stepped on any toes by asking this questions. Thanks guys.

Putting aside considerations such as location, cost, age of school, if I wanted to increase my chances of getting an MD residency in a competitive field such as ortho or derm, which osteopathic school(s) would be best for this?

Again guys my goal is not to start a war or make a point but I am sure there are some students out there who would like to go to the school which best prepares them for getting into competitive allopathic residencies, I know this can be done at any and every school if the desire is there, but I am sure some schools gear their education and rotations towards family practice whereas other schools have many more opportunities for students to compete with allopathic students in getting highly competitive residencies. I hope I have not stepped on any toes by asking this questions. Thanks guys.

Don't sweat ... that's not too bad. You already know the motivational SDN mantra that ' where you match is up to you, it has nothing to do with the school, only the student' ... etc. However, I think it's important to attend a DO school that is well known in the area and has a history of matching into MD residencies. For example, PCOM is extremely well known in it's respective area, and this means that residency directors in surrounding MD programs know the students are great and will probably be more inclined to grant interviews opposed to schools that don't have a history of DO students. Another thing that people say frequently is that established, older schools have good reputations, so this could increase your chances. Good luck, I also believe there were 3-4 MD derms this year (one was from CCOM, one was from PCOM - I think - and I know I saw a few more on the match list thread).

You shouldn't get burned for this. I have no idea what the answer to your question is but at least you gave the criteria for what you consider a good school. Really that's all that matters - which school will get you what you want.