Ranking help please, IM, med peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Any help Ranking these 6 programs please would be greatly appreciated.

Preference is IM Fellowship after Residency:

Internal Medicine
- NYMC Montefiore North Div
- Abington
- Seton Hall

Internal Medicine Pediatrics
- Saint Louis University
- Maine Medical Center
- Case Western Reserve Univ - Metrohealth

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Any help Ranking these 6 programs please would be greatly appreciated.

Preference is IM Fellowship after Residency:

Internal Medicine
- NYMC Montefiore North Div
- Abington
- Seton Hall

Internal Medicine Pediatrics
- Saint Louis University
- Maine Medical Center
- Case Western Reserve Univ - Metrohealth

Thanks in advance for your help.

For Med/Peds I'd say

MMC >>> Metrohealth >>> St. Louis.

Don't know much about the IM programs

Do you want to spend the next 2 years (out of 4) doing pediatrics if your goal is IM fellowship? (you might have a specific goal in mind that will take advantage of the pediatrics training but since I don't know what fellowship you're interested in, it's hard to advised).

Members don't see this ad :)
internews,
thanks very much for your input. It means a lot. Good luck to you.

group_theory,
thanks for your comments. you're right - IM fellowship (cards or gi) is my top preference. However, if I have a better chance of getting an IM fellowship after doing med peds from a better program than from a so-so im program, I would go for med peds.

internews,
thanks very much for your input. It means a lot. Good luck to you.

group_theory,
thanks for your comments. you're right - IM fellowship (cards or gi) is my top preference. However, if I have a better chance of getting an IM fellowship after doing med peds from a better program than from a so-so im program, I would go for med peds.

I don't know you're situation either, but that does not seem worth it to me. Learning all the peds stuff, peds conferences, peds education, sitting for the peds boards if you KNOW you're never going to use it? Also you'd be taking away a spot from someone who as of now, really wants med/peds and there are more candidates than spots. If you know you want IM fellowship, just do IM.

thanks bdc.
Though IM fellowship is my first priority, not everyone who applies to an IM fellowship gets one. So, I need to have a back-up in case I don't get an IM fellowship. If I do med peds, my backup would be a good combined med-peds fellowship.

thanks bdc.
Though IM fellowship is my first priority, not everyone who applies to an IM fellowship gets one. So, I need to have a back-up in case I don't get an IM fellowship. If I do med peds, my backup would be a good combined med-peds fellowship.

That's true, although I imagine the combined fellowships would be harder to get b/c there are less of them. Not sure if thats true but its my guess.

thanks again bdc.
i will take all this into account before finally deciding.