Ranking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustBiopsyThat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, I am a MS4 who is really struggling to make my rank order list. I have a lot of great options but an paralyzed by indecision. Most of my programs I enjoy pretty equally, except for a few minor blips. To be honest, almost every program I interviewed at was pretty similar IMO. Anyone with advice on how you would rank these programs? Geography isn't a factor.

Duke, UNC, Northwestern, U Chicago, U Colorado, U Minnesota, Iowa, U Wisconsin, UCSD, OHSU, U Washington, Michigan

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to figure it out for yourself. Were you paying any attention when you interviewed at those programs? How can 12 programs all be so equal in your mind that you'd rely on what random people on an Internet forum say?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, think about where you want to end up geographically. Typically, it is easier to find jobs near where you do residency and fellowships (attendings have better networks, etc...). Also, keep in mind whether you are more of a country person or city person and where you are happier. The cost and style of living in Durham or Chapel Hill is significantly different than living in Hyde Park or Lincoln Park in Chicago.

Hey SDN, I am a MS4 who is really struggling to make my rank order list. I have a lot of great options but an paralyzed by indecision. Most of my programs I enjoy pretty equally, except for a few minor blips. To be honest, almost every program I interviewed at was pretty similar IMO. Anyone with advice on how you would rank these programs? Geography isn't a factor.

Duke, UNC, Northwestern, U Chicago, U Colorado, U Minnesota, Iowa, U Wisconsin, UCSD, OHSU, U Washington, Michigan

Location, benefits, and salary. wherever you will be most happy and possibly already know some people.

UCSD is the only one on your list with decent weather.

Reactions: 1 users
If you insist on doing pathology, go with either Duke, UNC, Northwestern or U Chicago, for geographic reasons. You can do your fellowships at the nearby reputable institution without having to move. This could be advantageous personally, professionally and financially. At the end of residency, you may have reasons to want to stay in the area. So pick one location, do the residency there, and get your fellowships lined up nearby.

Is OHSU - Oregon or Ohio?

When I went through the match, geography also wasn't a factor for me so I had a hard time making my rank list. These are all nice programs that would put you on track to go anywhere for fellowship. I'd put a lot of stock about where you'd like to live for the next 4+ years.

When I went through the match, geography also wasn't a factor for me so I had a hard time making my rank list. These are all nice programs that would put you on track to go anywhere for fellowship. I'd put a lot of stock about where you'd like to live for the next 4+ years.

Thank you for your helpful input, I appreciate it.