This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nh278

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just curious, but how would you rank the Midwest public schools? Also, what tiers would you divide them into (high, mid, low)?

Midwest states are: North/South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, just curious, but how would you rank the Midwest public schools? Also, what tiers would you divide them into (high, mid, low)?

Midwest states are: North/South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio

Thanks!

Michigan, OHSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin are at the top of that list

Depends what you're looking for, though. If you really want to go into rural medicine, then the programs at Missouri, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are your top choices. Find your interests and rank them accordingly. I think that may be more beneficial to you than USN&WR rankings

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks!
If you want them ranked to help you choose which to apply to, be aware that most public's take very few OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On the face of it, some of the Midwest public SOMs do not look horrible for OOS students. For example from last years MSAR, about half the class at OHSU is OOS, about a third of the class at Iowa is OOS and just over a quarter of Indiana is OOS. However, each of these schools receives 3000-5000 applications from OOS students. They interview from 9-12% of the applicants but only 1.5-2% matriculate. However, what is not in the MSAR is that these stats can be inflated by "special programs" as well as a tendency to primarily select OOS candidates who attended undergrad in that state. However, it can be done - I'll be a Hawkeye in a few weeks.

I concur with @DrDwayneJohnson as far as the top tier. I would put Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana in the next tier.

Last edited:
Can we just do "OSU" for OH State? Oregon Health & Science University is also a thang.