Rank lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmiles

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to how the rank lists work, and yes, I need to do a search on how it works exactly. However, I have a question. When you list the places you are interested in, who sees this list? Is it confidential? If I apply to say an OB/GYN program and a Gen Surg program at the same institution, will they know this? And is it considered okay to apply to different types of programs or does this come off as looking wishy washy?
I am only starting my 3rd year, so I realize I have much to learn about this whole process, but I am interested in one geographical area of the country and want to be flexible in choosing a specialty.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It is likely you will be asked in interviews if you are applying in any other specialties. The ranklist itself is confidential.

The rank lists are very confidential. No one except you can see it. Always aim high (if this is for the NRMP Match), and you will get the best results.

good luck
lf

I definitely would not apply to different specialties at the same institution. They don't need to see your rank list to find out what you are up to. It could be as simple as seeing you there at the hospital wearing your interview suit again for them to realize you're two-timing them. From what I understand, it's too dangerous to do this and could blow your chances at getting either of the residencies.

I guess I just don't understand why that is such a big deal. What if you truly have an interest in 2 different specialties and you really like a particular institution. Why should they care that you want to interview with 2 different departments? You might find you prefer one over the other. If you are upfront about it and tell them you are interested in both, is this a turn off?
Maybe I am just being totally naive and need to see more of what goes behind the scenes as I start my 3rd year.

DrSmiles said:
I guess I just don't understand why that is such a big deal. What if you truly have an interest in 2 different specialties and you really like a particular institution. Why should they care that you want to interview with 2 different departments? You might find you prefer one over the other. If you are upfront about it and tell them you are interested in both, is this a turn off?
Maybe I am just being totally naive and need to see more of what goes behind the scenes as I start my 3rd year.

Because, fair or not (and it's not), everyone wants to know that you only care for their specialty. In other words, they don't want a less-than-completely-dedicated person.

I heard that the rank lists are not confidential because some programs will send you a letter asking them why you did not rank them high. So, the programs will know where you ranked them AFTER the match.

kas23 said:
I heard that the rank lists are not confidential because some programs will send you a letter asking them why you did not rank them high. So, the programs will know where you ranked them AFTER the match.
I doubt very much that there's any truth to that. Programs can easily tell if a candidate ranked them #1 or not by ranking the candidate among the top number of spots they have available. If they rank you #1 and they don't match you, then you obviously didn't rank them #1 as well. It's not lack of confidentiality, it's simple logic.

Rank lists are confidential. but if you are applying to two such different specialties at the same institution, your gonna get busted. And if you havent' figured it out by the time you are ranking, this could be a serious problme.

Youa re early. wait until you get through your third year to start figuring it all out. a lot can happen in one year.

kas23 said:

Along the lines of what Sessamoid said, I've heard that programs are told where the people they ranked ended up after the Match. (The PD at UCSD congratulated me on matching at Stanford) It's a not a matter of seeing your rank list, but if they ranked you high and you didn't match with them, they know that you must've ranked somebody else higher. (just like what Sessamoid said)