This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C-swirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need help ranking 3 programs. I had some red flags so I’m grateful I even have 3 to rank lol. That said, it’s hard.
The programs are:

1. SUNY upstate
2. Rutgers
3. UT Houston

I enjoyed all 3 interviews some more than others. Does anyone have any info on Rutgers? It’s hard to find anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Which specialty?

These are in very different areas... is any one of these more ideal for location? That can make it easier.

Reactions: 1 user
The only input I can offer is I spent a few days in Houston and absolutely loved it. Lots of great food, a couple cool areas with lots of breweries, close to Galveston, warm year-round (except this past week or so what the heck R.I.P. hope everyone is doing okay) but ya. That’s all I got.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
knowing speciality would be helpful. If going off location alone I'd say: Houston, SUNY, Rutgers. But the speciality and program matters obvi

Hi guys,

Need help ranking 3 programs. I had some red flags so I’m grateful I even have 3 to rank lol. That said, it’s hard.
The programs are:

1. SUNY upstate
2. Rutgers
3. UT Houston

I enjoyed all 3 interviews some more than others. Does anyone have any info on Rutgers? It’s hard to find anything.
Pathology is the specialty

Pathology is the specialty

I honestly don't know. Trying to think what I would look at for Pathology and it's completely unclear to me. It's not like it's surgery where you can ask residents about how much OR time they get or IM where you can ask residents about their autonomy and fellowships people are gunning for. Are there pathology fellowships you desire? If so, which programs do the best job with placement? I would go by that if you're interested in that, otherwise I would go based off location frankly and anything solid you heard on interview day. There's also a whole pathology forum linked below that may know more.

I don't know anything about the residency programs, but Houston is the best city on the list in my opinion. Great diversity, great food, and better weather than the other 2 on the list.

Update: right now I have Rutgers, SUNY upstate, and then Houston.

I went to med school in Arizona and really just want to try something different so I prefer east coast over Houston so far. Houston and SUNY had great ppl but I feel like Houston is very similar to phx and Newark is close to NYC so that beats Syracuse. Thoughts? I’m a single man so I can’t afford to waste my prime in Syracuse lol.

Rutgers is in Newark but lots of residents live outside of Newark, either in the burbs or in Hoboken/Jersey City (which would be a great location for a single guy, right next to NYC).

Otherwise just pick Houston. You don't want the smoke that is Syracuse winters bro.

Reactions: 1 user
Rutgers is in Newark but lots of residents live outside of Newark, either in the burbs or in Hoboken/Jersey City (which would be a great location for a single guy, right next to NYC).

Otherwise just pick Houston. You don't want the smoke that is Syracuse winters bro.
Hahaha I agree! yeah Newark is close enough for me I’ll probably just see where I can get a good deal and still be close to the hospital. I don’t mind a little commute. Here in AZ you can drive a hour and still be in the valley.

Do y’all think The location is worth the couple extra hours of work on AP services? I just talked to a resident and she said she was there till 9. Also you don’t take call 1st year so I’m assuming I’d have weekends off. In Syracuse you’re hardly ever there past 5.