Random non-pathology and only peripherally related to pathology thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And why doesn't anyone ever rave about the American national anthem? Well, I just don't like it very much. I heard a wonderful version performed before a basketball game, of all places, by Bruce Hornsby on the piano and Winton Marsalis on the trumpet. It was fantastic, lots of variation. But that's about it. Normally, it's just someone screaming and doing vocal histrionics.

The Russian anthem, on the other hand, needs a choir to be fully effective.

I do have a CD with about 35 world anthems, I will have to go through it again and remind myself which countries have hidden gems.

Members don't see this ad.

yaah said:
I do have a CD with about 35 world anthems, I will have to go through it again and remind myself which countries have hidden gems.
Wow these kids in Texas seem to have missed home enough to put this up:
NegaraKu - the Malaysian national anthem.

I wonder where they found it.

~
I have the weekend evening show on an easy listening station playing in the background. It?s hosted by a lady who calls herself Delilah, a sort of Agony Aunt On Air.

People call her up and pour out their heart.

"The trust has been violated" has got to be her classic response.

• He called his girlfriend 5 minutes after the appointed time = The trust has been violated.
  • "*sobs* I promised I wouldn't and I did...!!" = The trust has been violated.
  • He didn?t tell her that the in-laws were coming till the night before = The trust has been violated.
  • She confessed her past and he was mad = The trust has been violated.

Something inside me cringes.
And yet, a significant number of people obviously do have a need to hear it from her ? in her own way, she must be providing some sort of service to the community.

I don?t get it.
Makes me wonder what it's like to be normal :rolleyes:

Yes it's off now!

She sounds a bit like Dr Laura. Dr Laura is on 760 WJR every night at 10pm or so. For a large major radio station (WJR can be heard after dark over most of the midwest, and I have picked it up in massachusetts easily) their programming is weird. They run Shawn Hannity on tape delay from 7-10, and Dr Laura on after that (Note: exact times may be incorrect since I don't pay that much attention). But these are call in shows, I believe normally airing in the early afternoon. So anyone in the WJR catchment area cannot call in. And both of these radio hosts are self serving ego maniacs with **** for brains and tunnel vision and honestly do not have ears. No one will ever make an argument against theirs that they EVER will concede. And for Mr Hannity, everything the Bush white house does is a remarkable achievement and the democrats are corrupt two-faced liars. He's like every other liberal talk show host, only obviously he disagrees. I dislike talk show hosts. Dr Laura provides "advice" to people who call in. Basically her advice is, "what the **** are you asking me this for? You know the answer!" It consists of variations on "You need to respect your husband" vs "You need to respect yourself." Only she don't use the word respect. "What did you expect your husband to do when you told him you had been unfaithful? Do you expect him to come crying back to you and apologize for working 80 hours a week to support his family and your gambling habit, even though YOU are the one who has wronged him?" Actually, I can't argue with that advice. But it's just the WAY she says it.

Good luck studying. I could never study at the library. Every time I would sit down this hot girl who worked in nuclear medicine would meander down and somehow plant herself right in my line of vision to review for the MCAT. Damn. I was alternatively furious at her and completely smitten. I never saw her there EXCEPT when I wanted to study. If I was a conspiracy theorist I would imagine she was hired by some rival who wanted to see me fail classes. So I studied at home. My trust was violated. Did ya see what I did there?

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
Dr Laura provides "advice" to people who call in. Basically her advice is, "what the **** are you asking me this for? You know the answer!"
Why does a person like this have a talk show? That's what puzzles me. I hadn't realized that such a large portion of the general public were driven to mental masochism. Or emotional flashing.

yaah said:
Good luck studying. I could never study at the library.
I could never study at home. There are a lot of better things to do at home than study.
Even in the library there are a lot of better things to do than study.

If I am going at it hardcore, I pick a large table and sit facing the wall and drown out background chatter with the Goo Goo Dolls.

deschutes said:
If I am going at it (studying) hardcore, I pick a large table and sit facing the wall and drown out background chatter with the Goo Goo Dolls.

(I quoted you but then I read what I quoted and had to add in the parenthesis with "studying" in it because it was genuinely obscene after I deleted the original part of the quote!)

I can't study with music. I listen to the music too much. If I put something like Vaughn Williams in my headphones and then try to study...forget it. No chance.

yaah said:
(I quoted you but then I read what I quoted and had to add in the parenthesis with "studying" in it because it was genuinely obscene after I deleted the original part of the quote!)
This appears to be an ongoing issue. (Please see Bone thread.)

yaah said:
I can't study with music. I listen to the music too much. If I put something like Vaughn Williams in my headphones and then try to study...forget it. No chance.
It doesn't work with classical music, in my experience. I've tried Beethoven, Listz.. as well as a whole host of Baroque composers who were supposed to stimulate the appropriate waves on one's EEG.... no luck. But rock music works like a charm, especially if it's interpersed with Sarah Brightman and Loreena McKennitt. Keeps me awake.

There. That is perfectly un-obscene. Although I may not be able to say the same about Sarah's latest album covers...

deschutes said:
in my experience. I've tried Beethoven, Listz.. as well as a whole host of Baroque composers who were supposed to stimulate the appropriate

You're terrible!! What a dirty mind! You need to change your user title to "Edited for content." ;)

Of course, if all else fails I can just, with the magic of text editing, make you say controversial things.

deschutes said:
Yaah is a tool of the first magnitude. He has sex on the brain and has no clue what it takes to carry on a polite conversation. And he's decidedly unfunny.

Gee thanks a lot. :( What did I do to deserve that? Screw you guys, I'm going home.

AndyMilonakis said:
I like poo!

Yes Andy, we know. Have a seat and wait your turn.

yaah said:
You're terrible!! What a dirty mind! You need to change your user title to "Edited for content." ;)
Begging your pardon, 'tis in the eye of the beholder. I was merely talking about EEGs.

yaah said:
Of course, if all else fails I can just, with the magic of text editing, make you say controversial things.

"Originally Posted by deschutes
Yaah is a tool of the first magnitude. He has sex on the brain and has no clue what it takes to carry on a polite conversation. And he's decidedly unfunny."
Now, how exactly is that controversial?
*scrambles away from hordes of angry yaah fans*

yaah said:
"Originally Posted by AndyMilonakis
I like poo!"

Well, we were talking about dirty things.

yaah said:

Gee thanks a lot. :( What did I do to deserve that? Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Hey that was an old post. Don't take your anger out on me!

Anyway, keep up the dirty talk. I like it when you two talk dirty to each other. ;)

Andy, a 6am post? What are you, me? I assume that was because you were on call again? Fear not, it will all soon be over.

I @#$!ing hate the coverage of the Olympics. They save all the good stuff until like 11pm when NORMAL people have gone to bed. But I guess that slacker demographic who stays up late and doesn't have to work normal hours is the one who purchases all the products they advertise. Particularly all those erectile dysfunction drugs. Dammit I hate those ads. When the moment is right...my man takes... GO AWAY.

So last night they kept showing @#$!ing beach volleyball again. Apparently it is very popular. I hate it, as I have said before. I think it was their ultimate last night because it was 2 american teams (women) playing each other. GO AWAY. I would think this would be the perfect late night slacker fare so why don't they show beach volleyball at 11pm? I wanted to watch the 400m race but I have no idea when they finally showed it. Damn pretentious Bob Costas. And damn the advertising gurus who cater to the lowest common denominator!

yaah said:
Andy, a 6am post? What are you, me? I assume that was because you were on call again? Fear not, it will all soon be over.

I @#$!ing hate the coverage of the Olympics. They save all the good stuff until like 11pm when NORMAL people have gone to bed. But I guess that slacker demographic who stays up late and doesn't have to work normal hours is the one who purchases all the products they advertise. Particularly all those erectile dysfunction drugs. Dammit I hate those ads. When the moment is right...my man takes... GO AWAY.

So last night they kept showing @#$!ing beach volleyball again. Apparently it is very popular. I hate it, as I have said before. I think it was their ultimate last night because it was 2 american teams (women) playing each other. GO AWAY. I would think this would be the perfect late night slacker fare so why don't they show beach volleyball at 11pm? I wanted to watch the 400m race but I have no idea when they finally showed it. Damn pretentious Bob Costas. And damn the advertising gurus who cater to the lowest common denominator!

Yes a 6 am post :) I'd rather post in SDN rather than spending the extra 10 minutes doing a better job prerounding.

Call is over man! I got 3 admits...and discharged all 3 today. Go figure...they were all bullsh1t admits. THREE MORE DAYS!!! Riding into the sunset with zero patients :)

Hey yaah (like the song), sounds like you're having Jennie Finch withdrawal symptoms...when was the last time you saw US women's softball on NBC?

AndyMilonakis said:
Hey yaah (like the song), sounds like you're having Jennie Finch withdrawal symptoms...when was the last time you saw US women's softball on NBC?

I hate the song and I hate the so-called "artist" that sings it. I dislike strongly every professional musician who purposely spells their name incorrectly. They can all go **** themselves. They are teaching a generation of young people that spelling and attention to detail is useless and unimportant.

Congratulations on your last call!!!! A big step in a young one's life. You will always remember the last patient you admitted. Mine was a "Does he have syncope? Or did he have a TIA? Or is he anxious? Better admit him and get the workup. YOU! Write the admit note."

Jennie Finch is gone. US softball won gold medal yesterday or the day before. No more Jennie! She is very media savvy though so we will see more of her.

Deschutes you dirty rascal. Poo is not really a turn on though. At least to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
I hate the song and I hate the so-called "artist" that sings it. I dislike strongly every professional musician who purposely spells their name incorrectly. They can all go **** themselves. They are teaching a generation of young people that spelling and attention to detail is useless and unimportant.
Horrors! What a negative influence. I had merely thought that they were Russian.

The song (like most dance songs) is tolerable in moderate doses. I get the urge to play it loud on occasion. Heck, I get the urge to play FatBoy Slim on occasion.

yaah said:
Deschutes you dirty rascal. Poo is not really a turn on though. At least to me.
"Ma, he's calling me dirty names!!"
cry_smile.gif

Dirty rascal. The dog in your picture looks like he's just very cheerfully been called a dirty rascal.

Poo deserves respect, not necessarily attraction. I would find poophilia more than vaguely disturbing. Especially in a pathologist. Pathologists ought to know better.

Andy is a known poophiliac, but he's a different sort of poophiliac.

deschutes said:
Poo! Poo poo poo poo poo poo poo!
And poo to yaah too.

umm...not that kind of dirty talk...that's sh1t talk. But if that's what floats your boat...so be it.

yaah said:
Congratulations on your last call!!!! A big step in a young one's life. You will always remember the last patient you admitted. Mine was a "Does he have syncope? Or did he have a TIA? Or is he anxious? Better admit him and get the workup. YOU! Write the admit note."

My last patient didn't have syncope....she was admitted for...NEAR SYNCOPE. You know what near syncope means? Absolutely nothing! A bullsh1t admit thank you :) Discharged her roughly 12 hours after admission.

deschutes said:
Poo deserves respect
That was beautiful...this brought a tear to my eye.

deschutes said:
Andy is a known poophiliac, but he's a different sort of poophiliac.
I was gonna deny this saying that my attitude towards poo is more of reverence and respect than actual attraction. But I'm sure you all can find about 137 posts to contradict me on that one.

Anyways, exactly what kind of poophiliac am I? Where are you going with this? What the hell am I doing up at 4:30 am?

AndyMilonakis said:
exactly what kind of poophiliac am I? Where are you going with this? What the hell am I doing up at 4:30 am?
It's Poophilia NYD but v-coded reverence and respect more so than full-blown attraction. In other words, good for us.

I am going nowhere with this. My intention was to distract you from the dirty talk.

What the hell are you doing up at 4:30am? Blissfully contemplating the prospect of a future unmarred by the stain of floor medicine, no doubt.

Floor medicine sucks the big one.

Yes, the poor dog in my picture. He is now deceased, but was a good egg. A very stupid egg, but a cute one and a friendly one. That was one of our two sibling Afghan Hounds we had when I was growing up. He was probably 11 or 12 in that picture. It was nigh on impossible to take his picture because if he noticed you paying attention to him he would immediately run over and lick your face. I learned that trick from him, although unfortunately people don't like it when other people do that to them.

I had two little pomeranians when I was growing up. The older one was very smart, fat, lazy and passed when it was 15.

Angie.32.jpg

The younger one was very stupid, hyper, and mischievous (I once caught it climbing out of his cage...and all the while before that, my mom was getting pissed at me for "not putting the dog in the cage."). Unfortunately, he passed at the age of 12.

chuckie1.jpg

These aren't actually pics of my dogs but they look almost identical to the ones I had. Pomeranians pretty much all look the same most of the time.

I miss having dogs. Kind of tough to take care of when you're by yourself and don't have a giant yard though. I wouldn't do that to a dog here. I would probably start to resent it if I had to start walking it twice a day every day. When I retire I will have lots of dogs.

I absolutely adore dogs.....i had a black pomeranian when i was a kid. It died when it was 5 years old. I can t somehow seem to be able to get to raising another one again. It was too traumatic. But yep i agree on that dogs are the most adorable things in the world.

Cats can be ok. We had two cats growing up. #1 contracted diabetes and died at about age 10, #2 is still going and is probably about 12 now. The diabetic used to sit by the door and wait for his insulin shot twice a day. He loved that insulin. Would start purring and everything. Once he got diabetes though he kind of let himself go and started being a little slack on his grooming.

Cats shed too much. And I am slightly allergic to them so when they jump on my face like they always do I get watery eyes. Plus, over 75% of all cats have attitude adjustment problems. They sulk, whine, scratch you, destroy the furniture, and when you talk to them they look at you like, "hey **** you butthole, I'm on vacation."

Dogs are friendly.

Did anyone hear that Elizabeth Kubler-Ross died yesterday?

At first, I couldn't believe it. No! I said, she is still with us!
Then I got upset, because we wouldn't be hearing any new theories. Curse the Gods who took her from us too early.
So I prayed, and begged the Gods to give us just another couple of years so that my questions could be answered. If necessary, I offered, I will donate a sizable sum of money to hospice foundations in their or her honor.
Then the Gods didn't answer me, so I began to cry. I wallowed in pity for a few hours, lost my appetite, just laid on the couch and ruminated.
But after awhile of that, I realized she had give so much to the world and contributed a great deal to the understanding of the dying process. So I let her go. RIP EKR.

I bet a joke like that is being posted all over the world today...

IMHO she missed my most common stages of grief: Skepticism and cynicism. The Elvis fans know all about those stages.

That s a real good one yaah... :laugh:

yaah said:
Did anyone hear that Elizabeth Kubler-Ross died yesterday?

At first, I couldn't believe it. No! I said, she is still with us!
Then I got upset, because we wouldn't be hearing any new theories. Curse the Gods who took her from us too early.
So I prayed, and begged the Gods to give us just another couple of years so that my questions could be answered. If necessary, I offered, I will donate a sizable sum of money to hospice foundations in their or her honor.
Then the Gods didn't answer me, so I began to cry. I wallowed in pity for a few hours, lost my appetite, just laid on the couch and ruminated.
But after awhile of that, I realized she had give so much to the world and contributed a great deal to the understanding of the dying process. So I let her go. RIP EKR.

I bet a joke like that is being posted all over the world today...

IMHO she missed my most common stages of grief: Skepticism and cynicism. The Elvis fans know all about those stages.

yeah funny stuff. denial, anger, pity, whatever whatever...who cares? like it matters anyway.

yaah said:
The electronic girlfriend?
Oh dear. Oh god. Things like this and William Hung.

I have nothing against cats. It's just that if ever I start down the slippery slope towards spinsterhood surrounded by multiple cats, I'm putting someone in place to yank me out.

We were talking about pets a couple of weeks ago IRL and someone made the remark that people who have dogs want to be loved and people who have cats want to give love.

I like other people's pets. I usually don't have to walk those, feed those or pick up their poop.

Are you ready to bang???

Are YOU ready to bang???

WilliamHung-thumb.jpg

She bangs! She bangs! Oh baby...and she moves! She moves! ...

Aren't you done with clinical medicine yet?

William Hung was funny for about 5 minutes. Good thing he signed that contract quick before everyone realized he was a one trick pony. Although, one trick ponies do well in showbizness. Celine Dionne. Britney Spears. Kevin Costner.

yaah said:
Aren't you done with clinical medicine yet?

William Hung was funny for about 5 minutes. Good thing he signed that contract quick before everyone realized he was a one trick pony. Although, one trick ponies do well in showbizness. Celine Dionne. Britney Spears. Kevin Costner.

Yup. Done! Left the hospital an hour ago actually.

Time for alcohol.

yaah said:
William Hung was funny for about 5 minutes.
Growing up, I can think of some William Hungs I knew. The only difference is that they didn't make it to Barnum's and were therefore slightly more tolerable.

Celine Dion has become all.... voice.

I recently acquired a Playstation and Grand Theft Auto. Of course, I went right to the internet to find the cheat codes because I am not interested in working my way up. I just want to acquire the high powered weapons and dominate everyone. I think it makes it more fun. I don't need these challenging games - I want a diversion.

I also love reading about parents criticisms of Grand Theft Auto. I too don't think young children should play it - probably shouldn't be played by anyone who hasn't learned to drive yet because it might _just might... give the wrong impression about acceptable driving behavior.

I did the same thing with a borrowed copy of GTA3 and all the cheat codes. I started the game, ran over a few people, used the cheats to get all the guns, holed myself up in front of a hospital, and just started shooting and blowing up any car, helicopter, or person that came within sight. Pretty soon it became a freakin' war between me and the entire fictional city of WhoCares. It was quite enjoyable, but after doing it for 30 minutes, I think I got that entire game out of my system, and I've yet to play it since.

It was guilty fun, though.. :D

Stinger86 said:
I did the same thing with a borrowed copy of GTA3 and all the cheat codes. I started the game, ran over a few people, used the cheats to get all the guns, holed myself up in front of a hospital, and just started shooting and blowing up any car, helicopter, or person that came within sight. Pretty soon it became a freakin' war between me and the entire fictional city of WhoCares. It was quite enjoyable, but after doing it for 30 minutes, I think I got that entire game out of my system, and I've yet to play it since.

It was guilty fun, though.. :D

I've been playing some PS2 games off and on. I figured a lot of my friends have PS2's and I'd give it a try. So I played a few such as GTA3 (without cheats though), final fantasy, medal of honor (this game sucks). Before playing PS2 games, I've been mainly a computer gaming person. And after playing PS2 for a bit, it just doesn't do it for me. Oh well, I guess it's back to Warcraft for me. It's been a month since I played so these little 15 year old kids with nothing to do but play Warcraft all day are gonna kick my ass.

AndyMilonakis said:
I've been playing some PS2 games off and on. I figured a lot of my friends have PS2's and I'd give it a try. So I played a few such as GTA3 (without cheats though), final fantasy, medal of honor (this game sucks). Before playing PS2 games, I've been mainly a computer gaming person. And after playing PS2 for a bit, it just doesn't do it for me. Oh well, I guess it's back to Warcraft for me. It's been a month since I played so these little 15 year old kids with nothing to do but play Warcraft all day are gonna kick my ass.

Ahh, medal of honor.... the most non-gory war game in the history of videogames. The biggest thing that ticked me off was how I would take 10 seconds to line-up a perfect head shot, only to end up shooting off the guy's helmet. I would even aim for the neck, and I would STILL just hit his helmet. 7/10 times this would happen! So the intended victim would fall to the ground, sit up, shake his head, stand up, and proceed to do what I called the Nazi Two-Step, taking two steps to the left, then to the right, rinse/repeat, shooting with unimaginable accuracy. This reminds me of one of my favorite video-game mantras.... "STUPID COMPUTER!!". I think I must've yelled this about 2 million times since I first picked up a controller as a small child. It's always the computer's fault!!

And as for online games, I quit all that a few years ago. Playing online simply gives one the chance to be an annoying, obscene little prick without having to worry about the real-world threat of getting your ass kicked. Very few rules, almost no repercussions. Not too much fun, if you ask me. Plus, these kids have absolutely nothing to do but play these damn games all day, so it almost makes it unfair for those of us with real obligations

Stinger86 said:
Playing online simply gives one the chance to be an annoying, obscene little prick without having to worry about the real-world threat of getting your ass kicked. Very few rules, almost no repercussions. Not too much fun, if you ask me. Plus, these kids have absolutely nothing to do but play these damn games all day, so it almost makes it unfair for those of us with real obligations

Totally dude. All these little kids acting all macho just because of the anonymity that comes with sitting behind a computer monitor! :laugh:

These kids can say all they want though....I just laugh. If they get too obnoxious, I just say "GG" as I destroy their army, raze their town, and subsequently squelch them as they're trying to mouth off on me.

there are plenty of kids who play these games all day but still suck at it. victories against these douchebags are the most satisfying.

Apparently I am now a 1000+ poster. That is sad. It makes me want to go back and delete old posts but alas, then I would inevitably return to 1000 posts again in the future...

Took you long enough, uber-poster

Yeah I guess I should have thrown myself a party "in honor" of so many posts. WTF is up with that? Who cares?!?!? It's just a number, and philosophically, it's a simple multiple of 10. 1000 is no more of a significant number than 873. Just more round number bias in today's society, just like the olympics. I think the olympics should have a 96 metre dash or a 4x213m relay. I'd like that.

Besides, people celebrate over having 1000 (or some other clearly significant round number) posts despite the fact that, of the ones who celebrate, 80% of their posts are one of three things

1) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
2) :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
3) vague sexual innuendo

Here on the path forum, 1000 posts means nothing.

yaah said:
Yeah I guess I should have thrown myself a party "in honor" of so many posts. WTF is up with that? Who cares?!?!? It's just a number, and philosophically, it's a simple multiple of 10. 1000 is no more of a significant number than 873. Just more round number bias in today's society, just like the olympics. I think the olympics should have a 96 metre dash or a 4x213m relay. I'd like that.

Besides, people celebrate over having 1000 (or some other clearly significant round number) posts despite the fact that, of the ones who celebrate, 80% of their posts are one of three things

3) vague sexual innuendo

Hey! 1000 is my goal. Don't belittle that accomplishment please.

C'mon...you with a 1000 posts...more proof that you wear the daddy pants!

yaah said:

3) vague sexual innuendo

I protest! On all counts!! There are fewer of (1) and (2), and waaay more side-splittingly interesting posts in this forum than I have seen on others.

The "vague sexual innuendo" though, is a close call.

But you are just being contrary and I will not be drawn in.

It is Sunday morning, after zero admissions and a full night's sleep. I am actually not tired.
This deserves some unnecessary spending of money.
This calls for.... sushi.
And to mark your accomplishments and since you don't like seafood, I will eat a lot of sushi on your behalf, my friend.

If I ever wanted Sushi, the first place I would head would be Calgary. ;)

You are right, this forum is different. I was mostly referring to other forums on this website and others I have seen in the past where people create something silly like

For my 1000th post, here is a celebration of my life and accomplishments and then this post is then replied to by a bunch of other people who also have lots of inane posts who reply with :clap: or :hardy: or "congratulations you rule!" or some such garbage. As if it takes anything to get to 1,000 posts other than simply persisting for awhile and responding to everyone else's "I have 1000 posts" threads with one of the above.

Apart from being something to be proud of, perhaps it is more likely something to be embarrassed about.

Besides, I think Rirriri has more posts than me anyway :p

yaah said:
Apart from being something to be proud of, perhaps it is more likely something to be embarrassed about.

Sad but true. From denial...comes acceptance.

Anyways, sushi is awesome. What's your favorite roll? Or do you tend to go for the nigiri?

Anything with eel is :thumbup: for me.

AndyMilonakis said:
What's your favorite roll? Or do you tend to go for the nigiri?

Anything with eel is :thumbup: for me.
I don't think I have a favourite! There are some items I always eat like the nigiri unagi, tuna salad and salmon sashimi, but anything on the belt or menu is game - except for the sweet egg omelette slices and the fried tofu cases. (I'm told they're good, but they just don't fit into my idea of the sushi experience.)

I normally end with a cone au California (the maki rolls don't satisfy in the same way). And in Calgary they replace the cucumber slice with avocado! which is a real twist in texture.

If I'm indecisive that evening or feeling like my mother, I go for the box and have a little of everything.

deschutes said:
I don't think I have a favourite! There are some items I always eat like the nigiri unagi, tuna salad and salmon sashimi, but anything on the belt or menu is game - except for the sweet egg omelette slices and the fried tofu cases. (I'm told they're good, but they just don't fit into my idea of the sushi experience.)

I normally end with a cone au California (the maki rolls don't satisfy in the same way). And in Calgary they replace the cucumber slice with avocado! which is a real twist in texture.

If I'm indecisive that evening or feeling like my mother, I go for the box and have a little of everything.

The egg and tofu is a waste of space when it comes down to sushi rolls. You order these fancy rolls where they put all sorts of fish or eel on top of the roll. What goes into the middle? A slab of egg. That's ridiculous. Better places will put tempura shrimp or more raw fish in the middle. But this one place nearby me insists on using egg. Also at this place, nigiri egg costs $2. Since when was a piece of egg and a smidge of rice ever worth more than a buck tops? :confused:

AndyMilonakis said:
Hey! 1000 is my goal. Don't belittle that accomplishment please.

C'mon...you with a 1000 posts...more proof that you wear the daddy pants!

Dude, you're gonna lap me in # of posts in about 2 weeks the way you're going.

Yuck. All this sushi talk is making me nauseated. Note that I did not say it is making me nauseous. Because I believe they have debates about this subject yearly at a national conference of grammar wonks. Nauseous is an adjective meaning "causing nausea" and not an adjective meaning "affected by nausea." I would use it in the form, "the nauseous sushi makes me nauseated." A nauseous individual, thus, is not one who is about to upchuck but a person that induces others around them to upchuck.

Many people disagree and just say the heck with it, everyone knows what you're talking about. And thus most dictionaries have now defined nauseous as a synonym of nauseated, kowtowing to the masses and their vulgarity.

I say nay. We should use words as they were properly intended. Thus, the next time someone tells you they are nauseous, you can tell them "Yes you are, excuse me while I adjourn to the toilet to vomit. By being nauseous you have thus made me nauseated." They may act confused, but by merely checking an adequate dictionary they will realize that they have described themselves as "Nausea-Inducing." We much teach future generations the proper term for conveying their sensation of rumbling and prone-to-rejection stomachs. If any of you doing clinical rotations encounter a patient who says they are "nauseous," take the time to correct them. They will likely thank you for it.

yaah said:
Dude, you're gonna lap me in # of posts in about 2 weeks the way you're going.

Clearly that's not my goal...but when I'm sitting in the lab doing experiments will hour long incubation and 10 minute long wash steps, SDN is a great way to pass the time.

I doubt I'll lap you in 2 weeks. Maybe when interviews start going I may get up to 800 posts :)

yaah said:
Yuck. All this sushi talk is making me nauseated.
That really is too bad. It was making me hungry.
And a little :( (purple) now that my sushi date has fallen through! (My sushi partner was feeling nauseated.)

What exactly about sushi is nauseous to you?
Glistening slices of fish atop elongated portions of rice oh-so-subtly vinegared... mmmmm. And they aren't even always raw.

Oh wait! A bright idea strikes me! Delectable mussels in lemon butter - somewhere in my freezer is a pack for a rainy day.