Random non-pathology and only peripherally related to pathology thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heh. Actually I shift further left every election cycle. Strange, I know. I feel like the republicans currently are squandering our future for the benefit of their close friends and corrupt allies. But I have more respect for McCain than I do for Hillary, so maybe I am shifting back rightward again. I dunno, I am the kind of person who thinks GWB is not a real conservative because he spends (or tacitly approves) more money than the democrats ever did, and without any real effort to counterbalance it.

I'm from AZ so I was initially for McCain, but Michelle Obama just called me at home a few hours ago and asked me to support her husband. I guess I'll have to go with Obama now.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from AZ so I was initially for McCain, but Michelle Obama just called me at home a few hours ago and asked me to support her husband. I guess I'll have to go with Obama now.

I originally liked Edwards, although I have to admit I actually liked 2004 more-moderate Edwards than more-to-the-left 2008 Edwards... bad year to be a caucasian male running for the democratic nomination. After he dropped out, I was semi-undecided although I knew didn't want to sit through 4-8 more years of Clinton bashing, and kind of felt like she might not be electable overall... then Obama picked up steam and started looking electable. I think he'd be a good president to restore some bipartisanship to our legislative process...

Too much politics, tho... somebody change the subject. :)

BH

I hate Hilary Clinton.

I'm so bored right now. I wish I could leave my house, but unfortunately we are in the middle of an ice storm, so I'm stuck for now. Anyone else as bored as I am?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so bored right now. I wish I could leave my house, but unfortunately we are in the middle of an ice storm, so I'm stuck for now. Anyone else as bored as I am?

I am very bored as well. I am doing research right now, and I am working on making a phage library. It's been being a royal pain, and I finally traced my last problem down to bad ATP in my insert phosphorylation. So now, I have to wait on new, fresh ATP to show up... so other than mundane daily cell culture chores, there's not a lot going on... Yet, if I disappear from the lab, it'll anger my PI... hence, I read SDN.

No ice storm though, just some rain... Making a mental list of all the chores I wanted to do around the house before it gets unbearably hot...

BH

I hate Hilary Clinton.

This snow sucks...took me 35 minutes to drive 2 miles to come home.

This snow sucks...took me 35 minutes to drive 2 miles to come home.

Ahhh, that sucks. That is precisely why I want out of the northeast for residency. I hate snow. I hate driving in snow. I hate being cold. Plus, I'm a bad enough driver in good weather, in bad weather I'm downright dangerous.

I've watched 8 straight hours of tv (and eaten a whole lot of chinese food). If the weather doesn't get better soon, I might have a television induced seizure.

for the record: I LOVE SNOW!!!! miss it terribly, and to be honest with you - its a requirement for anywhere i'm considering doing residency. how bored do you think you'd get with the same ol' same ol' weather . . .?

for the record: I LOVE SNOW!!!! miss it terribly, and to be honest with you - its a requirement for anywhere i'm considering doing residency. how bored do you think you'd get with the same ol' same ol' weather . . .?

Not bored at all. I've lived in the Northeast for thirty years, I'm ready for a change.

My first snow was couple of years ago on New years' eve... I loved it!
It was so beautiful!!! Looked like cotton falling from the sky!

But... [sight] it should always melt in the next day...

There's nothing more annoying then wake up on Monday morning with 10 inches of snow and ice in front of the house.

And snow storms definetely suck!

I have to say, the weather in Houston was beautiful this weekend. :D Sunny, hovering in the 60's and 70's, just dead solid perfect spring weather... I mowed the yard on Saturday and grilled some kebabs (see recipe above) while sipping on a Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale... got my early voting for the primary done as well... good times...

BH

I have to say, the weather in Houston was beautiful this weekend. :D Sunny, hovering in the 60's and 70's, just dead solid perfect spring weather... I mowed the yard on Saturday and grilled some kebabs (see recipe above) while sipping on a Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale... got my early voting for the primary done as well... good times...

BH

wow. indeed mate, good times indeed. i always liked the celebration ale from SN. right up there with the jubile-ale from deschuttes (not sure if that makes it down that far south) . . . anyhow, hope the lawn looks good . . . cheers!

wow. indeed mate, good times indeed. i always liked the celebration ale from SN. right up there with the jubile-ale from deschuttes (not sure if that makes it down that far south) . . . anyhow, hope the lawn looks good . . . cheers!

We get the Celebration, not the Deschuttes... the Texas alcoholic beverage code is unbelievably arcane, and limits to some extent the quality / variety of imports we get from out of state. The overall selection of beers available at large liqour stores and nicer grocery stores has greatly improved in the past 10 years, however...

Mmm I need to brew again before it gets hot...

BH

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who has lived in New Jersey their entire life, it is still strange to me that you can buy liquor from a grocery store. Not to mention pumping gas and no jughandles. :)

As someone who has lived in New Jersey their entire life, it is still strange to me that you can buy liquor from a grocery store. Not to mention pumping gas and no jughandles. :)

i think my favorite variation on alcohol rules by state is the drive-in booze shops in texas . . . eureka! what a brilliant idea!

BH - what kind of brew do you make? any good recipes? i can whip up some pretty good IPA (if you like hops), and my mate in oregon makes some great porter. if you want i can share some recipes . . .

i think my favorite variation on alcohol rules by state is the drive-in booze shops in texas . . . eureka! what a brilliant idea!

BH - what kind of brew do you make? any good recipes? i can whip up some pretty good IPA (if you like hops), and my mate in oregon makes some great porter. if you want i can share some recipes . . .

Yeah, you would think with drive-thru liqour stores, the TABC (state alcohol reg board) would be groovy. They're not. We have a lame three-tiered distribution system, and laws that are unfavorable towards beer and breweries vs. very favorable to wineries (thanks to recent changes pushed through by wine enthusiasts)... we also have wierd rules that define ales and lagers based on alcohol %, require label changes, and a little old woman who sits in Austin and carefully measures sample bottles from incoming shipments... the tiniest amount of over-fill or under-fill can result in the impounding (and spoilage) of an entire shipment of imported beer :(

Mmmmm IPAs and Porters... I started out brewing Porters and Fat Tire clones... :) Now I've moved on to all-grain, and I have a house american pale ale that I really like, plus an imperial stout that I brewed but has been camping in a secondary for months - need to bottle it... and I'm out of my pale ale! We could definitely share some recipes... maybe on PM tho, unless there are enough peeps around to start a Pathology Homebrew Thread. :)

BH

Yeah, you would think with drive-thru liqour stores, the TABC (state alcohol reg board) would be groovy. They're not. We have a lame three-tiered distribution system, and laws that are unfavorable towards beer and breweries vs. very favorable to wineries (thanks to recent changes pushed through by wine enthusiasts)... we also have wierd rules that define ales and lagers based on alcohol %, require label changes, and a little old woman who sits in Austin and carefully measures sample bottles from incoming shipments... the tiniest amount of over-fill or under-fill can result in the impounding (and spoilage) of an entire shipment of imported beer :(

Mmmmm IPAs and Porters... I started out brewing Porters and Fat Tire clones... :) Now I've moved on to all-grain, and I have a house american pale ale that I really like, plus an imperial stout that I brewed but has been camping in a secondary for months - need to bottle it... and I'm out of my pale ale! We could definitely share some recipes... maybe on PM tho, unless there are enough peeps around to start a Pathology Homebrew Thread. :)

BH
right on. i'll post my porter recipe when i can find it on my cpu. since this is the "random" thread, i don't think PM is necessary (unless anyone objects . . . ?). but if i end up interviewing this fall wherever it is you match - i only ask that we throw back some of that american pale if you have some . . .

cheers

I know we should change subjects and don't talk about politics anymore but....

it seems the raise in McCain's popularity is a world concern now... Gosh, I heard he is as crazy as Bush!

I mean, everybody who defends killing many 20 year-old american boys (and many others) with the famous :bullcrap: "war against terrorism" :bullcrap: seems crazy to me....

Or maybe I'm wrong.

it seems the raise in McCain's popularity is a world concern now... Gosh, I heard he is as crazy as Bush!

I mean, everybody who defends killing many 20 year-old american boys (and many others) with the famous :bullcrap: "war against terrorism" :bullcrap: seems crazy to me....

Or maybe I'm wrong.

well, personally, i think you are indeed wrong. i'm voting for McCain and its definitely NOT for that reason . . .

Or maybe I'm wrong.

I think the less said in response to this post the better. I could post a very long diatribe on how many ways those statements are ignorant and short sighted (and I disagree with the war too). But I won't because it won't matter.

Hey, did somebody say homebrew... :)

This is a recipe I based my award-winning porter on, with just some minor modifications (bumped the chocolate to 8oz, adjust the water salts depending on your local H20, also I never remove the hops from the primary)... you can find this on the web at:

http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/05_141.html

Black Butte Porter Clone
Classification: porter, Deschutes clone

Source: Guy Purdy ([email protected]), HBD Issue #2025, 5/1/96 After months of research and development, here is the oft requested and seldom (if ever) seen clone recipe for Deschutes Brewing's Black Butte Porter! The first attempt was VERY close, but lacked the roasty flavor overtone and sweetness of the Real Thing. I've adjusted the recipe accordingly, and here it is!
Ingredients:
  • 6 oz. chocolate malt
  • 6 oz. black patent malt
  • 8 oz. honey malt
  • 8 oz. 10L crystal malt
  • 4 oz. toasted barley (buy it pre-toasted, or DIY @ 350 deg./10minutes)
  • 8 oz. malto-dextrin
  • 6 lbs. Light malt extract syrup
  • 1 lb. Light dry malt extract
  • 1 1/2 oz. Galena hops (60 min. bittering)
  • 1 oz. Cascade hops (1/2 hour bittering/finishing)
  • 1 oz. Tettnanger hops (5 min. aroma)
  • Wyeast #1338 European Ale yeast
  • 2 tsp. each Gypsum and Burton Water Salts (We have very soft H2O)
Procedure:

Add salts, gypsum to 1 1/2 gal. H2O. Steep grains for 1/2 hour @ 158 deg. Sparge with 1/2 gal. 170 deg. H2O, and strain out any loose grain. Mix in extract and malto-dextrin, and top off with H2O to desired optimum level for your brew pot. Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes before adding Galena hops. After 30 more min., add Cascade hops. Last 5 min. add Tettnanger hops. Cool wort with hops in it. Remove hops at pitching temp., and pitch yeast. Ferment to completion according to your desired method.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew... :D

BH

Hey, did somebody say homebrew... :)

This is a recipe I based my award-winning porter on, with just some minor modifications (bumped the chocolate to 8oz, adjust the water salts depending on your local H20, also I never remove the hops from the primary)... you can find this on the web at:

http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/05_141.html

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew... :D

BH

holy balls bro! what i'd give for a black butte . . . the middle east - despite the fact that this is the place where beer was invented - is only very very slowly picking up on the splendor of the homebrew . . . hmmm back butte . . . i'm also a big fan of their obsidian stout. almost as good a the Alaskan Oatmeal Stout. if you ever come across it, pick one up. i think you'll like it

thanks for the recipe

holy balls bro! what i'd give for a black butte . . . the middle east - despite the fact that this is the place where beer was invented - is only very very slowly picking up on the splendor of the homebrew . . . hmmm back butte . . . i'm also a big fan of their obsidian stout. almost as good a the Alaskan Oatmeal Stout. if you ever come across it, pick one up. i think you'll like it

thanks for the recipe

My pleasure... it is an absolutely great recipe... I brewed it initially to impress my girlfriend at the time, who was a big fan of it when she lived in the pacific northwest but couldn't obtain it in Texas... must have worked because we're married now. ;)

Can you brew in Israel? Is there a homebrew supply store? I wonder if any of the stores here could ship stuff over there... Mmmm interesting...

One of my favorite commercial Imperial Stouts - Great Divide's Yeti! The oak-aged Yeti is particularly nice... I'm also a fan of Victory's Storm King, which thankfully is now available in Texas...

Anyone else have a beer *during* one of their interviews? ;)

BH

My pleasure... it is an absolutely great recipe... I brewed it initially to impress my girlfriend at the time, who was a big fan of it when she lived in the pacific northwest but couldn't obtain it in Texas... must have worked because we're married now. ;)

Can you brew in Israel? Is there a homebrew supply store? I wonder if any of the stores here could ship stuff over there... Mmmm interesting...

One of my favorite commercial Imperial Stouts - Great Divide's Yeti! The oak-aged Yeti is particularly nice... I'm also a fan of Victory's Storm King, which thankfully is now available in Texas...

Anyone else have a beer *during* one of their interviews? ;)

BH

no, can't say i've had a beer *during* an interview . . . unless you count me drinking a beer while i interviewed potential grad students while being a grad student myself. that was fun. :D

yeah, i can get homebrew equipment here, up in tel aviv. it isn't easy as all the ingredients have to come from the states or europe, and the main problem is that these things only became available a short time ago and i'm out of here and back to new york in 3 months. and frankly it isn't worth the time or effort at this point. god, i'm in OB/Gyn right now and busy as hell - my god - this hospital delivers nearly 20,000 babies a year!!!!!!! that is not a typo. 20,000. over here is the best OB/Gyn training one could receive

anyway, the prof i'm teaching with did his training at the cleveland clinic and he really wants me to go there. so he's helping me arrange an elective there for september. i guess that has nothing to do with beer, but since i'm on the path forum i guess its relevant . . . at least its on my mind . . .

no, can't say i've had a beer *during* an interview . . . unless you count me drinking a beer while i interviewed potential grad students while being a grad student myself. that was fun. :D

yeah, i can get homebrew equipment here, up in tel aviv. it isn't easy as all the ingredients have to come from the states or europe, and the main problem is that these things only became available a short time ago and i'm out of here and back to new york in 3 months.

[...]

anyway, the prof i'm teaching with did his training at the cleveland clinic and he really wants me to go there. so he's helping me arrange an elective there for september. i guess that has nothing to do with beer, but since i'm on the path forum i guess its relevant . . . at least its on my mind . . .

But this is the thread for irrelevance! :)

I'll tell the beer story sometime, but it was at a top tier institution with a well known pathologist, and definitely was one of the highlights of my entire interview season...

And you should definitely wait until you get back to try brewing... Third year played hell on my brewing schedule and it's never been the same since. Need to brew the APA and then move on to a kolsch (one style I've had trouble with in the past) or maybe an oktoberfest...

BH

Haha, that's a good story.

I have never brewed my own beer. Someday, perhaps. I think I might prefer to concoct my own vodka/whiskey though.

I have never brewed my own beer. Someday, perhaps. I think I might prefer to concoct my own vodka/whiskey though.

Hehe... well, there are some big differences... one is legal, the other is not... one has very little chance of seriously injurying you, the other has a much greater potential for self-injury... :)

BH

I think the less said in response to this post the better. I could post a very long diatribe on how many ways those statements are ignorant and short sighted (and I disagree with the war too). But I won't because it won't matter.

No need to get offended.. I apologize for not making myself clear :cry:

I intended to sound " hey, I know nothing about this issue but hear a lot in the media"
rather than
"hey, this is my judgement, you'd better accept it"

Anyway, thanks those who PM with intelligent comments! In fact, I joined this forum expecting to learn different points of view...

I'd love to get more proofs of how ignorant and short-sighted those statements about McCain were... but let's stick to the cooking debate then

Well, if you want to read about McCain, read about his past and how he got to where he is today. He has had difficulties (Keating 5 for one) but there have been far more instances where he has proven himself to be one of the most thoughtful and honest people in public service. Not one without faults, of course. But read about his experiences in POW camp (and compare it to GWB's experience during the same time) and see what you think. I don't completely know what to think about him, to be honest, but when he speaks I tend to listen and respect what he says, whereas when I hear GWB and when I hear someone like Hilary Clinton speak I have far different reactions, most of which can be summarized with two smilies: :rolleyes: and :barf: . But I wasn't trying to offend, sorry.

As far as brewing illegal liquor - I will not do that. Maybe I will establish a legal business!

Well, if you want to read about McCain, read about his past and how he got to where he is today. He has had difficulties (Keating 5 for one) but there have been far more instances where he has proven himself to be one of the most thoughtful and honest people in public service. Not one without faults, of course. But read about his experiences in POW camp (and compare it to GWB's experience during the same time) and see what you think. I don't completely know what to think about him, to be honest, but when he speaks I tend to listen and respect what he says, whereas when I hear GWB and when I hear someone like Hilary Clinton speak I have far different reactions, most of which can be summarized with two smilies: :rolleyes: and :barf: . But I wasn't trying to offend, sorry.

As far as brewing illegal liquor - I will not do that. Maybe I will establish a legal business!

ok, now this is a good answer, thank you :)
I will read about this POW thing... better than listening to uninformed people (and reading sensationalists papers) saying "oh no, with McCain there will be war everywhere!"

Well, if you want to read about McCain, read about his past and how he got to where he is today. He has had difficulties (Keating 5 for one) but there have been far more instances where he has proven himself to be one of the most thoughtful and honest people in public service. Not one without faults, of course. But read about his experiences in POW camp (and compare it to GWB's experience during the same time) and see what you think.

Well the big meme about McCain these days, at least in liberal circles, is how most of his campaign leadership is composed of lobbyists, some of whom are still active with their firms (most vividly "lobbying congress by phone from the Straight Talk Express"). I suspect this arrangement mainly came about from necessity, after most of Mac's original campaign team deserted him last fall, but it doesn't look great, even if he does have a solid anti-lobbyist voting record in the Senate.

In any case, McCain vs. Obama should be a pretty solid contest. Either one will be leaps and bound better than the jackass we have to put up with for the rest of 2008.

Yeah, what bothers me about McCain is the lobbyist-advisor thing, as well as his cozying up to the fanatical wing of the party. If he keeps doing it he will lose my vote, probably. I suspect though that it is hard to run any sort of national campaign (where you have to appeal to everyone) without getting input from lobbyists. Which is better, input from lobbyists or input from tired cliched political hacks like Karl Rove or James Carville? I think I'd take the lobbyists - less spin. I doubt he is beholden to the lobbyists though - if he wins the presidency he doesn't have to really listen to anybody, and I suspect he would revert to previous McCain, who gets along better with and works better with Russ Feingold than he does with Tom Delay.

By the way, why is a resident posting at 1am? :p

So, today is the big primary day... can't wait to go caucus tonight. Wondering if the bad weather is going to affect Ohio turnout. There's snow on the ground in Dallas too but its my understanding its going to melt off...

On a totally random and unrelated topic, any fans of Jim Cramer / Mad Money out there?

BH

So, today is the big primary day... can't wait to go caucus tonight. Wondering if the bad weather is going to affect Ohio turnout. There's snow on the ground in Dallas too but its my understanding its going to melt off...

On a totally random and unrelated topic, any fans of Jim Cramer / Mad Money out there?

BH

Boo Yahhhhhhh!!!!

Thanks for helping me lose all of my investment earnings for the past three years Jim!!!!

Boo Yahhhhhhh!!!!

Thanks for helping me lose all of my investment earnings for the past three years Jim!!!!

Hehe... how'd that happen? I just started listening to him on CNBC sat radio a few weeks ago. I found his show too frenetic but after listening to him on the radio I find I can watch it. Kind of interesting, but I wouldn't just take his suggestions at face value...

Any interest in technical trading? :)

BH

Baseball's back

manny.jpg

Excellent excuse for a...

bump_signs.jpg

Anyone have any good vacation plans, what with the high gas prices and terrible exchange rates?

BH

Excellent excuse for a...

bump_signs.jpg

Anyone have any good vacation plans, what with the high gas prices and terrible exchange rates?

BH

i'm flying into vegas on the 18th, from where me and two friends will directly leave the city lights and explore arizona and utah's great canyons for 9 days. can't wait!!

i'm flying into vegas on the 18th, from where me and two friends will directly leave the city lights and explore arizona and utah's great canyons for 9 days. can't wait!!

So you're not going to count cards? :cool:

18th of... when?

BH

So you're not going to count cards? :cool:

18th of... when?

BH

april, in just 3.5 weeks. nah, never been into the card gambling. i'll throw down some money in the sports book here and there, but otherwise i can't stand casinos . . .

and since celine dion is no longer a regular at caesars palace, i just have no other reason to stay in the city :laugh:

I really want to go to the Greek Islands, but I'll have to use loan money to do so, so I'm still debating whether or not I should go.

I have never been on a vacation before, so I'm trying to justify the expense by saying I deserve it. But I have a decent amount of credit card debt, and no furniture for my new place, so I should probably spend the money more responsibly.

Regarding baseball...

I think that this year's Giants team will be the most wretchedly terrible team I've ever had the misfortune of following in my lifetime.

Giants tickets in The City have been a hot commodity since the G-men moved to Pac Bell, but I'm thinking it won't be too difficult to get tickets to watch Bengie Molina lead the team with a .285; 80; 20 year.

Hey does anyone know if we are eligible for full medical licenses going into residencies OR if it is possible to moonlight or do other quasi-medicine related jobs (botox:p) on the initial limited license.

Hey does anyone know if we are eligible for full medical licenses going into residencies OR if it is possible to moonlight or do other quasi-medicine related jobs (botox:p) on the initial limited license.

Probably depends on your state medical board regs... I also don't know what moonlighters do for malpractice since I think most training programs only cover work you do within the program.

BH

Probably depends on your state medical board regs... I also don't know what moonlighters do for malpractice since I think most training programs only cover work you do within the program.

BH

In cases where you are moonlighting, you have to take out your own malpractice. Your program's insurance usually doesn't cover you.

Does one even need a full medical license for cosmetic botox injecting?
Could you take a course, get a certificate, use cert to get malpractice insurance and voila! open up $hop.:cool:

Does one even need a full medical license for cosmetic botox injecting?
Could you take a course, get a certificate, use cert to get malpractice insurance and voila! open up $hop.:cool:

:laugh:

So botox is purified neurotoxin that, although not scheduled, still carries potential lethal harm. According to the FDA, it is possible for the toxin to travel beyond it's intended location. So say this muscle paralyzer reaches the posterior cricoarytenoids (only abductors of the vocal cords), you potentially can kill the patient if you aren't properly trained to put in an airway. Of course that is worse case scenario, but others exist too (anaphylaxis). That being said, giving botox injections is still the "practice of medicine" and you would need a medical license for this procedure. But I wouldn't put it past anyone to set up some kind of certificate thing for non MDs. However if you are an MD there really is no stopping you. Your medical license does not have limitations, but you put yourself at risk when you practice outside your expertise. Still a good money maker and people will pay you cold hard cash for it.= (2-3 thousand bucks a pop) and will refuse to pay their 80 dollar copay. Ah our society and its obsession with beauty.

I don't care how crazy clinton and McCain are. I just have two issues about obama that I couldn't even think about he is the next president.
first, his name, we killed osama (terrist) and hussein (former president of iraq). Now our new president is going to be xxx hussein Ob(s)ama?:eek:

Secondly, man, I just keep thinking about the movie"Omen" when I image obama will be the next president.:laugh: Sounds crazy, isn't it?

I don't care how crazy clinton and McCain are. I just have two issues about obama that I couldn't even think about he is the next president.
first, his name, we killed osama (terrist) and hussein (former president of iraq). Now our new president is going to be xxx hussein Ob(s)ama?:eek:

Secondly, man, I just keep thinking about the movie"Omen" when I image obama will be the next president.:laugh: Sounds crazy, isn't it?

Edited. Please see this link and reference the quote below by SeenTheLight if you are curious as to how I responded.

On a completely different note, and one I didn't address previously before I was criticized for saying something "inappropriate," I would like to call into question the logic (or lack therof) of the above post. This is the kind of thinking that reminds me why our current president still enjoys an "approval rating" hovering somewhere in the 20-40% range, instead of 0%, where it belongs.