Random non-pathology and only peripherally related to pathology thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not going to post on this thread! It is no longer random if it has the same name as the last one!

bwahahaha, page 1! :D

hey guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Arsenic! Welcome to the ORIGINAL random thread! (Well part 2 of it anyway).

I have begun to pity the poor lurkers and new visitors to this forum, as they are looking for interesting discussion and advice, and find Michelle Pfieffer in a thread about trends in pathology. Then the Stay Puft marshmallow man shows up in another. And then on another Turd and I are discussing how best to get drunk in Ann Arbor.

So perhaps we should have a thread to discuss random topics so that we can be even sillier.

I'm sure it won't work. I can't help myself, I know. It's not like I could have started a new thread about twinkies, after all.

OW! Darnit I just stubbed my toe! I managed to do that despite being seated at a computer. Consarnit! (this is the stream-of-consciousness, Ode to Tristam Shandy section of the post) I hate when I stub my toe. For it is in the stubbing of the toe (My ode to Hemingway) that I am reminded of a terrible accident with a treadmill when I was 16, back in a dusty, backwater Maine woods town where the people are friendly, yet are all hiding from terrible fears, the fears of the new sinister man with the long nose that moved into the old Fletcher place and is only seen at night when he is seen tempting the local children with offers of twinkies and Nilla wafers (my ode to Steven King).

So my random question tonight has to do with Cheese Curls. Why are they so good? There is this company in Grand Rapids (MI) called Cheese Kurls or something like that and they make FANTASTIC cheese curls. Kind of like Cheetos but even tastier, in a bigger bag, and without the symbol of modern fascism that is that cheetah. Your hands still get all corroded with orange stuff though. That's my only problem with cheese curls.

Other good snack foods: Peanuts (preferably honey roasted), Kudos granola bars, and Pepperidge Farm (Pepperidge Faahm remembahs... ((I think I'm the only person reading this who has any clue what that italicized little bit refers to))) - wow - look at all the parentheses! - cookies, preferably double chocolate milanos.

Bad snack foods: Melba Toast, triscuits, Celery sticks, and coffee-flavored ice cream.

On another interesting note - I had a contest with another chem major in college over who could fit the most Nilla Wafers in their mouth. I won. I think I got 16, but my mouth was dry for about a week.

In case you're wondering, no, I'm not drunk. And I don't do any drugs. I do, however, obviously need a girlfriend. Anyone know if Michelle Pfeiffer is available?

I don't like the E network - it perpetuates the rampant impression in society that celebrities are our superiors, and that they are smarter, more attractice, and more successful. And that they are all of these things because they work harder. My foot they work harder. They are idiots. There is the occasional smart celebrity, but basically I believe they get where they are because of a combination of luck, looks, and who they know. Then they suffer one or more of the common celebrity misfortunes which include 1) drug addiction; 2) divorce; 3) Injury through dangerous behavior i.e. speeding or playing with fire; 4) Someone in their family dies; 5) Their dog dies; 6) They get a basal cell cancer on the cheek; or 7) Some tabloid says something totally true about them but that they don't like. When they do suffer this way, the "comeback" is presented as something awe-inspiring, akin to Nelson Mandela leaving prison or Neil Armstrong on the moon. OMG! Matthew Perry defeated his addiction to smack! (for the 8th time...) He is my hero! I wish I had his strength! It makes me appreciate his "art" all the more!

And when I think that most actors become well known simply for playing characters that are a lot like them it makes me irritated. Like Sharon Stone "stretching" herself to play the role of an evil icepick wielding witch. Yeah, I bet that was tough. Probably had to prepare for that one...

People magazine is worse though. One of the funniest things to do is to read the "Letters to the editor" section in People. They take things so personal! People will write in to criticize ANOTHER LETTER WRITER for writing in to suggest that Oprah might have an advantage over the normal population in losing weight because she has her own chef, personal trainer, can make her own schedule, has unlimited money, etc. "How dare you criticize Oprah! She has struggled all of her life with her weight and she is an inspiration to all of us out there who deal with the stigma of being overweight day in and day out! She is a hero and role model for all of us because she is a real person with problems like the rest of us!" Yeah right. Real problems. Hmmmm....let's see, where do I put that 5th grand piano? Should I go to Tahiti or Bali this weekend?

OK, I have to say it...yaah rules! Is this what formalin does to your brain? I can't wait!

So my random question tonight has to do with Cheese Curls. Why are they so good? There is this company in Grand Rapids (MI) called Cheese Kurls or something like that and they make FANTASTIC cheese curls. Kind of like Cheetos but even tastier, in a bigger bag, and without the symbol of modern fascism that is that cheetah. Your hands still get all corroded with orange stuff though. That's my only problem with cheese curls.

Cheesy poofs! Cheesy poofs! mmmmm...:)

Midnight cravings...must resist. Damn you, yaah!

Oreos!...I love Oreos!

I'm da original oreo cookie monster!

Random enough?

OK, I have to say it...yaah rules! Is this what formalin does to your brain? I can't wait!

Didn't yaah originally post this as an MS4, i.e. before too much formalin exposure? Does that make it better or worse?

Girl Scout cookies came in recently and I just ate my first Samoa--almost chipped a tooth! With all the caramel, coconut, and chocolate they still taste the same, but it is definitely harder than previous incarnations. I had two to make sure. Anyone else disappointed in this year's batch since they removed the trans fat? Is it just the Samoas, or are other cookies affected as well? Has anyone tried the new Little Brownies? Does anyone else find it disconcerting that this is named after their youngest members?

These are the types of questions we 4th years should be asking this time of year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got this computer on Saturday...I thought I told you this.

apple.jpg

I have heard that it is and am not going to upgrade to it.
Yeah, that's the sucky thing about buying a new computer now. They all come with Vista. It wasn't that long ago when Vista was a trial thing and was simply an option to install on the computer that would still come with XP originally installed.

Don't upgrade. Vista is dumb. Vista also forces you to buy new software since older software can only be installed in the background of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

There's the Home Basic, which I understand is underwhelming.
There's Home Premium, which I've heard some good things about.
And there's Business, which I don't know much about.

There's the Home Basic, which I understand is underwhelming.
There's Home Premium, which I've heard some good things about.
And there's Business, which I don't know much about.

Oh ok...home premium. Still ******ed.

Wow, not only can you import images into posts but youtube videos as well!

[YOUTUBE]c6SHsF1n9Qw[/YOUTUBE]

yaah, did you say flute was one of your instruments? ever play that song in band camp?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2006031,00.html

Unless you have been walking around with your eyes closed, and your head encased in a block of concrete, with a blindfold tied round it, in the dark - unless you have been doing that, you surely can't have failed to notice the current Apple Macintosh campaign starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb, which has taken over magazines, newspapers and the internet in a series of brutal coordinated attacks aimed at causing massive loss of resistance. While I don't have anything against shameless promotion per se (after all, within these very brackets I'm promoting my own BBC4 show, which starts tonight at 10pm), there is something infuriating about this particular blitz. In the ads, Webb plays a Mac while Mitchell adopts the mantle of a PC. We know this because they say so right at the start of the ad.

"Hello, I'm a Mac," says Webb.

"And I'm a PC," adds Mitchell.

They then perform a small comic vignette aimed at highlighting the differences between the two computers. So in one, the PC has a "nasty virus" that makes him sneeze like a plague victim; in another, he keeps freezing up and having to reboot. This is a subtle way of saying PCs are unreliable. Mitchell, incidentally, is wearing a nerdy, conservative suit throughout, while Webb is dressed in laid-back contemporary casual wear. This is a subtle way of saying Macs are cool.

The ads are adapted from a near-identical American campaign - the only difference is the use of Mitchell and Webb. They are a logical choice in one sense (everyone likes them), but a curious choice in another, since they are best known for the television series Peep Show - probably the best sitcom of the past five years - in which Mitchell plays a repressed, neurotic underdog, and Webb plays a selfish, self-regarding poseur. So when you see the ads, you think, "PCs are a bit rubbish yet ultimately lovable, whereas Macs are just smug, preening tossers." In other words, it is a devastatingly accurate campaign.

I hate Macs. I have always hated Macs. I hate people who use Macs. I even hate people who don't use Macs but sometimes wish they did. Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centres for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui.

PCs are the ramshackle computers of the people. You can build your own from scratch, then customise it into oblivion. Sometimes you have to slap it to make it work properly, just like the Tardis (Doctor Who, incidentally, would definitely use a PC). PCs have charm; Macs ooze pretension. When I sit down to use a Mac, the first thing I think is, "I hate Macs", and then I think, "Why has this rubbish aspirational ornament only got one mouse button?" Losing that second mouse button feels like losing a limb. If the ads were really honest, Webb would be standing there with one arm, struggling to open a packet of peanuts while Mitchell effortlessly tore his apart with both hands. But then, if the ads were really honest, Webb would be dressed in unbelievably po-faced avant-garde clothing with a gigantic glowing apple on his back. And instead of conducting a proper conversation, he would be repeatedly congratulating himself for looking so cool, and banging on about how he was going to use his new laptop to write a novel, without ever getting round to doing it, like a mediocre idiot.

Cue 10 years of nasal bleating from Mac-likers who profess to like Macs not because they are fashionable, but because "they are just better". Mac owners often sneer that kind of defence back at you when you mock their silly, posturing contraptions, because in doing so, you have inadvertently put your finger on the dark fear haunting their feeble, quivering soul - that in some sense, they are a superficial semi-person assembled from packaging; an infinitely sad, second-rate replicant who doesn't really know what they are doing here, but feels vaguely significant and creative each time they gaze at their sleek designer machine. And the more deftly constructed and wittily argued their defence, the more terrified and wounded they secretly are.

Aside from crowing about sartorial differences, the adverts also make a big deal about PCs being associated with "work stuff" (Boo! Offices! Boo!), as opposed to Macs, which are apparently better at "fun stuff". How insecure is that? And how inaccurate? Better at "fun stuff", my arse. The only way to have fun with a Mac is to poke its insufferable owner in the eye. For proof, stroll into any decent games shop and cast your eye over the exhaustive range of cutting-edge computer games available exclusively for the PC, then compare that with the sort of rubbish you get on the Mac. Myst, the most pompous and boring videogame of all time, a plodding, dismal "adventure" in which you wandered around solving tedious puzzles in a rubbish magic kingdom apparently modelled on pretentious album covers, originated on the Mac in 1993. That same year, the first shoot-'em-up game, Doom, was released on the PC. This tells you all you will ever need to know about the Mac's relationship with "fun".

Ultimately the campaign's biggest flaw is that it perpetuates the notion that consumers somehow "define themselves" with the technology they choose. If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that "says something" about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality. Of course, that hasn't stopped me slagging off Mac owners, with a series of sweeping generalisations, for the past 900 words, but that is what the ads do to PCs. Besides, that's what we PC owners are like - unreliable, idiosyncratic and gleefully unfair. And if you'll excuse me now, I feel an unexpected crash coming.

LMAO

and agree with it too!

I personally don't care what people choose, nor do I care about "what's in". My experience with MACs has been much better than the two PCs that I have owned (I am currently using a Dell Inspiron). I'm not a gamer. I have an XBox 360 which I use for that--so its a non-issue. I appreciate it when my computer starts up, runs multiple programs simultaneously, and shuts down without a problem--my Dell does not do this and hasn't the entire time I've owned it. I've tried everything short of throwing it off a rooftop (which I will be doing come July) and this thing will not run "smoothly". I've maxed out my RAM, I have a huge harddrive and an external to boot. I've formatted and re-installed windows numerous times. Nothing makes this thing work any better. I'm not even using large/complex programs. It has a helluva time just running winamp and internet explorer simultaneously. Its frustrating when you pay $2K for something that runs like I bought it off a used Chevy lot. I will not buy another PC for the foreseeable future.

In my increasingly tech-crowded crib I now sport 2 PC's, 1 PC laptop and 1 Mac Powerbook. Don't even consider myself a tech geek in any sense of the word (truthfully, tho', the laptops were from kindly employers). I've actually hated Mac for years, for a number of reasons. Not least, that their browsers were really weird. However, OS X is far more stable than bloated XP, not to mention Win98. Today, I guess 80% of my home screen-tyme is PC, but I'm fancifully eyeing that new Mac w/ the 24" screen. Neato, and actually matches my worktable perfectly. However, I just don't really need another computer.

However, my Video Ipod must be wrestled from my cold, dead hands.

OK, as soon as the new south park episode appears on youtube, that's gotta go up on this board.

WHEEL OF FORTUNE - Bonus round

Category: People that annoy you.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __

We automatically give you the following letters: R T S L E

__ __ __ __ E R S

Randy Marsh picks the additional letters: N F G and U

N __ G G E R S

Answer: Naggers!

That show is genius! And the whole time, I thought the word was gonna be the F-word!

i had my wife pinch me when i saw an ice cream parlor sell it's new flavor. GUINNESS! i love st. patrick's day...even tho it may not show on the outside, i'm truly irish. :luck:

so many new posts...can't read them all right now.

me so tired.

me several hundred dollars poorer.

me going to bed.

Saw a black guy standing at the corner of Van Ness and Mission in San Fran last night with a sign that said "Starvin' Like Marvin" (reference to a famous South Park Episode)..I started laughing so hard I swerved off the road and onto the sidewalk in heavy traffic and spit espresso all over my steering wheel.

On a side note, I had dinner with a VP banker, newly single, brunette, around 5'9" and 125lbs, in her early 30s if anyone wants to a match.com type setup in SF. Very nice, totally unpretenious for how brilliant she is. She has an absolutely killer pad too.

Who says he hasn't? After all, he has seen her pad.

At some point I'm looking to get the "Path info websites" Sticky split up into
(1) "boards/sign-out resources" and
(2) "Interested in a career in pathology"-type resources.

There's a lot of good stuff in that thread, but the way it is now it's difficult to find the thing you want!

Also, if anyone is interested in writing up topics for the FAQ, here are some ideas:
- A Day In The Life Of a Path Resident/Attending
- "How Can I Do Well On My Path Elective?"

I have been thinking about updating it too. I might have more time next week, but we'll see. Projects are starting to get going again after the USCAP hangover.

At some point I'm looking to get the "Path info websites" Sticky split up into
(1) "boards/sign-out resources" and
(2) "Interested in a career in pathology"-type resources.

There's a lot of good stuff in that thread, but the way it is now it's difficult to find the thing you want!

Also, if anyone is interested in writing up topics for the FAQ, here are some ideas:
- A Day In The Life Of a Path Resident/Attending
- "How Can I Do Well On My Path Elective?"

Descutes I really want to read your avatar, but its too small. Would you mind a posting it for the blind among us?

I can't believe this thread still lives. I saw the title and it was a complete blast from the past (and it's good to be back). It's an undead thread! Muhahahahahaaa

Speaking of which, if you're cryogenically frozen down - and I mean close to 0 K - and then later revived, are you then undead, or just really really really old? And if you're not undead, then were you alive when you were frozen? Even if there was no discernable cellular activity?

I think that these kinds of questions are what will utlimately doom cryopreservation. Certainly not any technical hurdles.

That is all.

P out.

PS - Page 2. Wow - I feel almost great about getting in at the almost beginning of the almost original random thread...
:p

I can't believe this thread still lives. I saw the title and it was a complete blast from the past (and it's good to be back). It's an undead thread! Muhahahahahaaa

Speaking of which, if you're cryogenically frozen down - and I mean close to 0 K - and then later revived, are you then undead, or just really really really old? And if you're not undead, then were you alive when you were frozen? Even if there was no discernable cellular activity?

I think that these kinds of questions are what will utlimately doom cryopreservation. Certainly not any technical hurdles.

That is all.

P out.

PS - Page 2. Wow - I feel almost great about getting in at the almost beginning of the almost original random thread...

Yeah, the thread lives but it's not as active as back in the day when yaah created. All that goes on now is that deschutes talks to herself regarding stupid lightsabers.

Yeah, the thread lives but it's not as active as back in the day when yaah created. All that goes on now is that deschutes talks to herself regarding stupid lightsabers.

Posted on the Psych forum, this would perhaps generate quite a response.

Of course, sometimes a lightsaber is just a lightsaber.

P

That is all.

P out.

I think part of this answer can be gotten at by considering our friends in nature. As my first pathology mentor told me, one of the fascinating organisms in nature is the tardigrade (slow walker) which were named by Spallanzani (? spelling) in the 1700s. These creatures are microscopic, and often inhabit extreme environments (usually cold, I think). They are capable of "cryptobiosis" which means they can stop (or dramatically cease) their own metabolism, only to be revived later when environmental conditions improve. Since tardigrades can be recovered many many years after their entering a state of cryptobiosis, it stands to reason they do not age.

Now, if a human is frozen into virtual cryptobiosis, I don't know if they would age either. If you are frozen, would your heart stop? Blood flow cease? We are a little more complicated organisms than tardigrades.

Amazing that I remember all of this about tardigrades but all the stuff I learned yesterday about T cell lymphomas is already gone.