Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XXVI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Good morning!

Another rainy Monday here in the midwest. High today: 73

Morning! Slight chance of afternoon thunderstorms, otherwise hot.. High today: 101.

Headed to school in a few hours... :)

Can't believe it's almost time for another birthday... the years pass so fast sometimes.

Two little girls next door are playing the "screaming" game. I think the objective is to go outside as early as possible and start screaming. Whoever can piss off the most neighbors wins. I think the 4-year-old is the champ.

C'mon people!!!! Parenting!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Back to school.. fun times. 3 out of 5 classes are begun. So far, nothing bad at all except a broken A/C unit in the physics building (which is great during a mississippi summer), but physics itself is great. Prof seems nice and he's new (which means he might actually not be too busy to write my LOR :D) He also doing a variable grading... something like this:
4 Categories - Tests, Quizzes, Labs, and Homework
4 Percentages - 15%, 15%, 20%, 50%
and we (each, individually) get to decide which category gets which percentage.. AND we dont have to decide until the last week of class... AND the "A" scale is 85-100. So I'm definitely happy with physics! :)

Back to school.. fun times. 3 out of 5 classes are begun. So far, nothing bad at all except a broken A/C unit in the physics building (which is great during a mississippi summer), but physics itself is great. Prof seems nice and he's new (which means he might actually not be too busy to write my LOR :D) He also doing a variable grading... something like this:
4 Categories - Tests, Quizzes, Labs, and Homework
4 Percentages - 15%, 15%, 20%, 50%
and we (each, individually) get to decide which category gets which percentage.. AND we dont have to decide until the last week of class... AND the "A" scale is 85-100. So I'm definitely happy with physics! :)

Wow, that sounds awesome!

First day of class done here too. This will be my only post today because I need to get off SDN and start getting some work done. :scared: I've already done an hour of studying outside class today and feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Remind me that I chose to do this .....

First day of class done here too. This will be my only post today because I need to get off SDN and start getting some work done. :scared: I've already done an hour of studying outside class today and feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

You're going to make a great doc, oxeye :)

good day: made a killer homemade lasagna (substitute ground turkey for ground beef :thumbup: )

bad day: burned the hell out of the back of my hand getting it out of the oven. :(

ow. it was a really really really good lasagna, though! (ok, still "is" good- it's just in the freezer now..)

I worked out for 1.5 hours today. Felt awesome.

I'm off tomorrow technically, but going to an afternoon meeting for this kid.

And I have a hair appt. tomorrow - I need to get this mop trimmed up! It's been about 4 months now :eek:

Happy Birthday, Meg!

retainers hurt when u haven't worn them in a long time... its been forever since I put them in and decided my teeth needed straightening so I started wearing them a couple nights ago. tonigt was the first actual wake me up pain though. grr. and since I have an early morning I said screw that took some motrin and took them out. lol.
thanks for the early bday wishes meg!

good day: made a killer homemade lasagna (substitute ground turkey for ground beef :thumbup: )

bad day: burned the hell out of the back of my hand getting it out of the oven. :(

ow. it was a really really really good lasagna, though! (ok, still "is" good- it's just in the freezer now..)
Ohhhh, I think I know what my next cooking assignment will be! It's been at least a year since I've last had lasagna!

I just got back from camping....EXHAUSTED. We drove 400 *** in 24 hours (like 250 miles), hiked 2 hours, slept in a freezing tent on the rock-hard ground, and then fished in this horrible piercing wind - I kept getting nibbles literally every minute, but only caught one fish (which was too small to eat, so I threw it back in the lake), and lost the other one literally a foot away from the dock - talk about frustrating! We had originally planned to go for 2 nights, but it was just too darn cold yesterday, and we both had a whole bunch of stuff to do (physics final for me on Friday), so we called it a day. It's been steadily getting cooler over the last week or two, so we decided that we probably won't be going on any more overnight trips this year. Oh well! Luckily, all the good stuff is within 1.5-2 hours' drive from me, at the most, so it's not too big of a deal if we have to limit it to just day trips.

I've only read this last page but wow this thread definitely lives up to its name. Anyways, nowhere else to post this but here... Any of you guys notice the google ad on the SDN home page? It's entitled Medical H.E.L.P. and the caption reads "Program for failing MCAT, USMLE, specialty boards, or med school" Really?? I don't think anyone needs a program to help them fail any of those :D well thats it, keep up the randomness fellow SDNers.

I've only read this last page but wow this thread definitely lives up to its name. Anyways, nowhere else to post this but here... Any of you guys notice the google ad on the SDN home page? It's entitled Medical H.E.L.P. and the caption reads "Program for failing MCAT, USMLE, specialty boards, or med school" Really?? I don't think anyone needs a program to help them fail any of those :D well thats it, keep up the randomness fellow SDNers.
Yes, I must say, I've seen quite a few weirdly worded ads around this website. Just last week, I think, there was something about Ross University (or some other Caribbean school, don't remember 100%) "graduating students since" and then no year - or something very much along those lines.:hardy:

Dang. We didn't even do much today. Didn't even go over much material.

I'm going to have to curtail my SDN time till Friday given that my final is then, and I haven't even STARTED prepping yet (and I need to pull about a 75% on it to be confident about getting an A- for the final grade). I'll be around, but not as much as I usually am....:scared: :laugh:

Gooood morning guys! This leaving the house at 7:15 business hasn't quite become routine yet... and my eyes are still sleepy. How unfair on my birthday. However, I'm quite sure I'll be spending the next... oh, 40 or so birthdays up by this time of the morning... :laugh:

Dang. We didn't even do much today. Didn't even go over much material.
ooh, let's see...yesterday we had 2 hours of biochem (enzymes), lunch with the dean, two hours of anatomy lecture (one on embryology and the other on the circulatory system), and then two hours in the anatomy lab (thorax part 1). wow it was a long day.

you can do it!! :love:
just keep the faith. first day (actually first whole week) was rough for me. but i'm just trying to keep things in perspective and really manage my time well, and it seems to be much better this week. :)

we all know you rock and you will rock it through med school as well!

ooh, let's see...yesterday we had 2 hours of biochem (enzymes), lunch with the dean, two hours of anatomy lecture (one on embryology and the other on the circulatory system), and then two hours in the anatomy lab (thorax part 1). wow it was a long day.

That's about what my first day was like - biochem (no lecture - we watch video lectures and are expected to know the first two hours of stuff, though), two hours of anatomy lecture (nervous system overview), and a few hours in anatomy lab (didn't do anything here - just turned the cadaver over and learned all the rules and stuff).

Today is more of the same - substitute human behavior for biochem, and add a couple hours to anatomy lab (doing dissection today, though).

DMU interview invite!!!!!

Awesome!

I would end the year so happy with interviews also from UIC and SIU and an acceptance from one if not all ;)

Funny how I applied to like 5012 schools to get into just one LOL. But it's all worth it, right? :thumbup:

Was it Nikki or Lili who reported to us about Pan's Labrynth?

It was on Cinemax tonite and dayum!!!! It was pretty graphic like one of you said!

Yeah, it is quite gory. It took a while for the movie to grow on me because of how graphic it was. But definitely not your run-of-the-mill typical Hollywood movie...which is a good thing!

Yeah, it is quite gory. It took a while for the movie to grow on me because of how graphic it was. But definitely not your run-of-the-mill typical Hollywood movie...which is a good thing!

I liked the fact that I understood a lot of it when I wasn't looking at the TV! Thank goodness the lead was a little girl though - not too much complex Spanish!

I liked the fact that I understood a lot of it when I wasn't looking at the TV! Thank goodness the lead was a little girl though - not too much complex Spanish!

Yeah, me too! I haven't taken Spanish since high school, so it's more than a tad rusty. I was able to understand or at least anticipate what they were talking about, although I don't think I'd want to see it w/o the subtitles :p

Got more secondaries today, now I have to hear from 10 more schools...except for I'm short on $$$ and can't send any secondaries away. Talk about frustrating! Oh well, I should be spending my time on physics, anyway....gonna head out to campus in half an hour or so and trap myself in the library. I got my grade for the second assignment, and I managed to pull a 90.5%, which is a weak A+, so that made me feel a little better. Hopefully I can do well enough on the final to keep my A- average.:D

Just found my SWEET new interview suit!!!!!!

052507.jpg

NWT-Cache-Brown-Leopard-Cotton-Pant-Suit-Sz-18-1X-399_W0QQitemZ250156824089QQihZ015QQcategoryZ63884QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it easier for Canadians to get accepted to US schools over other non-citizens from other countries? I just realized I have no idea how that works!
Well, I think it is - first off, Canadian universities are treated the same as American ones in terms of your undergrad coursework (at least officially), so you already have an advantage over non-Canadian applicants who've done some of their coursework overseas - most schools whose websites I've seen won't even consider your app unless you've either done 2 years of undergrad in North America OR done all your pre-reqs here.
Secondly, I think it's easier for Canadians to obtain educational loans to study in the US, and I think med schools in the US probably view us as being more likely to actually be able to enroll and pay the bills. Plus getting a residency is less of an uphill battle for us, because we either just head straight back to Canada if that's where we want to be; or if we do apply for a US residency and do not get accepted, we can still go to Canada - US med graduates are not considered to be IMGs in Canada, and the only obstacle there would be lacking recommendations from physicians that Canadian hospitals are familiar with. So I think these 3 factors make us a slightly better investment for US med schools than non-Canadians. Plus, being located nearby means we are more familiar with the American way of life, and the healthcare system here - after all, half the TV channels here are from the US.

That's about what my first day was like - biochem (no lecture - we watch video lectures and are expected to know the first two hours of stuff, though), two hours of anatomy lecture (nervous system overview), and a few hours in anatomy lab (didn't do anything here - just turned the cadaver over and learned all the rules and stuff).

Today is more of the same - substitute human behavior for biochem, and add a couple hours to anatomy lab (doing dissection today, though).

I thought most med schools do Nervous system related stuff in a separate neuroscience class instead of with gross anatomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.