Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XXV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSouthernGo

Bleeding Saluki Maroon...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time to get it started!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
die thread die!:eek:

neways.. so bored, but in a good way. MCAT took so much of my time, no what to do ?
Secondaries, baby, secondaries.:smuggrin:

I wrote 4.5 essays yesterday....that last essay asked 1) how to improve the medical school admissions process 2) how to improve the medical profession.

Yeah, spreading that one over 2 days....:sleep:I assaulted the admissions question yesterday and hoping to finish up with the medical profession stuff today.

Some of these questions have me scratching my head. I'm pretty glad I'm not applying to Northern Ontario School of Medicine. "Describe a time in the last 2 years when you used a computer for learning."

Um, Wikipedia?:confused:

whoa whoa whoa.. a job, thats askin way to much, so lazy:sleep:
im supposed to start workin in the lab this week so thatll keep me occupied part of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondaries, baby, secondaries.:smuggrin:

I wrote 4.5 essays yesterday....that last essay asked 1) how to improve the medical school admissions process 2) how to improve the medical profession.

Yeah, spreading that one over 2 days....:sleep:I assaulted the admissions question yesterday and hoping to finish up with the medical profession stuff today.

Some of these questions have me scratching my head. I'm pretty glad I'm not applying to Northern Ontario School of Medicine. "Describe a time in the last 2 years when you used a computer for learning."

Um, Wikipedia?:confused:

Oooooh, Northern Ont is very pretty!

But what a strange essay topic...might have been relevant 10 years ago, but if you're a student, you pretty much use computers everyday for school stuff

Oooooh, Northern Ont is very pretty!

But what a strange essay topic...might have been relevant 10 years ago, but if you're a student, you pretty much use computers everyday for school stuff

HOW TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I think a better question would be when was the last time you didn't use a computer to facilitate your learning and actually used journal articles that were not electronic but in binded books of the library???

I don't think I'd get half of my projects or through half of my class without a computer. We have a lot of our lecture notes put on blackboard online, we have our syllabi up there, we use the computer for word processing to write up assignments for things like lab reports and essays, we have discussions through black board and in online classes pretty much everything is computer based.

A lot of lab reports require journal articles that are accessed through the internet. You get the gist.

I'm trying!:(

I drew blood from my boxing coach today.:smuggrin:

For the how to improve med school question, was that a canadian school or american school's secondary??

If it is a Canadian school, I'd answer with telling them to get rid of strict cutoffs when it comes to MCAT scores and especially as it pertains to the writing section since that section is useless. Not sure what else I'd change about their system as I don't know much else about it.

hey peeps. I thought this thread would be kaput by now. You know it's secondary season when.......!

Got back from our trip to Ottawa, CA yesterday. It's a pretty city and the Fairmont Chateau Laurier was killer. We saw Rachel Hunter and the King of Jordan while we were there. Rachel Hunter is a White Sox fan. Who knew.

Cab drivers suck though. They steal from the tourists by giving themselves a tip. For instance, we had a $23 cab ride (per meter), gave the guy $40 and got back a $10. When I asked for the rest back, he was like "what?" My husband almost got in a fight with him. Happened 3 more times with 3 different cabbies, so it wasn't an isolated incident. That was the only "bad" thing on our trip though so all in all it was a good trip.

Glad to be back in the US though.

For the how to improve med school question, was that a canadian school or american school's secondary??

If it is a Canadian school, I'd answer with telling them to get rid of strict cutoffs when it comes to MCAT scores and especially as it pertains to the writing section since that section is useless. Not sure what else I'd change about their system as I don't know much else about it.
Canadian, U of Calgary. They don't have strict cut-offs....they have an algorithm for OOPs, though, but it balances GPA, VR, and BS scores, so it's not as rigid as UWO or Queens' cut-offs that are set in stone. But for IPs, there is no such thing.

IMO, the cut-offs and such aren't that bad. The Canadian process is generally more transparent. Say, U of C gives you a breakdown of everything they do to evaluate your app. For example, I don't have to apply and think, "man, I hope my 32 T is an ok MCAT score for them!" because their website clearly states how many "points" I will get for my score (either 13 or 14 out of 17 possible, if I recall correctly), or how many "points" I get for the application essay, etc. I find that it makes it easier to gauge your chances that way.

Got my Penn State sec today....my 1st! Unfortunately, I have to hear back about a science LOR first before I can submit it - hopefully she responds today, because I have to put her name on the app.

this is the thread that never dies

zombie_1-9316.jpg

Canadian, U of Calgary. They don't have strict cut-offs....they have an algorithm for OOPs, though, but it balances GPA, VR, and BS scores, so it's not as rigid as UWO or Queens' cut-offs that are set in stone. But for IPs, there is no such thing.

IMO, the cut-offs and such aren't that bad. The Canadian process is generally more transparent. Say, U of C gives you a breakdown of everything they do to evaluate your app. For example, I don't have to apply and think, "man, I hope my 32 T is an ok MCAT score for them!" because their website clearly states how many "points" I will get for my score (either 13 or 14 out of 17 possible, if I recall correctly), or how many "points" I get for the application essay, etc. I find that it makes it easier to gauge your chances that way.

Got my Penn State sec today....my 1st! Unfortunately, I have to hear back about a science LOR first before I can submit it - hopefully she responds today, because I have to put her name on the app.

Good luck with that. Thanks for clarifying.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG, KITTEN!!!!!:biglove::biglove::biglove:

He's going to be mine in a couple weeks. :love: :love: :love: We're naming him "Mu" (registered name "Statistical Mean").

I'm thinking of buying one of his sisters too if the breeder will sell two at once (not sure if it is good to get two kittens at once or if you should wait). We'd name her "Sigma" (registered name "Standard Deviation").

My husband and I are such dorks.

He's going to be mine in a couple weeks. :love: :love: :love: We're naming him "Mu" (registered name "Statistical Mean").

I'm thinking of buying one of his sisters too if the breeder will sell two at once (not sure if it is good to get two kittens at once or if you should wait). We'd name her "Sigma" (registered name "Standard Deviation").

If you are going to get two kittens, it is better to do it at once then wait because as I'm sure you know, a lot of cats get scared of other cats if they aren't already used to them.

If they are not used to the presence of another cat from a young age, it becomes harder to adjust when they get older. I've seen this with my bro's cat, and with my mom's cat.

My mom's cat was adjusted to being around other cats whe she was young so she's not as frightened, but my brother's cat is not used to this so he gets real scared.

This is totally a zombie thread. Remember the good ole days when we could kill a 10k limit thread in a month? :eek:

hahahaha yeah I think all the randomites are busy. I mean Aman disappeared off the face of earth after M3 ended. I don't know if he's on vacation or if his SUB I has started, so that's one less poster. Then Ana disappeared because she was moving and what not for med school. Let us not forget that Molly stopped posting on here after she started med school because she became busy. Now the only time we can get in touch with her is when we go on facebook. Same with ana.

I don't post as much even though I do still post because I'm busy with other things and if I'm on SDN usually its answering AMCAS questions or reviewing personal statements which I've been doing a lot of this summer.

Everyone else on here is either getting ready to start med school like you and Durden or they are preparing for the MCAT or they are in the midst of applications to med school or they are straight out on vacation.

If you are going to get two kittens, it is better to do it at once then wait because as I'm sure you know, a lot of cats get scared of other cats if they aren't already used to them.

That's what I was wondering about. We have two dogs too, though so I wonder if just having other animals in the house with the cat would help with that?

I know some dog breeders say not to get littermates. They end up bonding really strongly with each other and not the people in the house. I just wonder if the same could happen if I got two kittens at once?

I'm probably overthinking this. I really think it would be fun to get Mu and Sigma at the same time, though. :)

Haha, this reminds me of how my mother and I had a Persian from a breeder when I was a kid....I remember that the main name had to start with a D and contain some other letter, according to CFA rules, and there were 2 more names that somehow related her to her parents' catteries...It was ridiculous.

My current cats are just named after food items.:hardy:

Started Weight Watchers today. Feeling pretty good about it, and loving the idea of the "whole body" approach at this MCAT thing.

Halfway through another FL and about 4 chapters of the micro book (trudging through some cell phys and micro/genetics stuff for mcat prep). PS is looking :thumbup: and VR about 2 pts up from April (simply from the hard-a$$ reading of The Economist, Atlantic, NewYorker, Harpers, etc).. have to focus on pulling up the BS now, running about as it was.

Three weeks to go. I'm pumped!

Status
Not open for further replies.