Raising low GPA options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtterMayhem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few threads on low GPAs, but I'm curious of different ideas to raise it. I was originally going to apply for a masters degree as I found it interesting and I could raise my GPA as well. But my GPA has fallen to a 2.9, I was recently diagnosed with depression and anxiety and got prescribed medication. They weren't kidding when they told me adjusting to medication is difficult, as I had never been on any anti-depressants. But since starting medication, I feel much better and more well adjusted and I'm ready to keep pursing my dream of being a vet and want to start the up-hill battle of raising my GPA. Now that my GPA has fallen below a 3.0 and most masters require at least a 3.0, I'm not sure what to really do. I thought about doing a post bacc and taking upper level classes and focusing on schools that look at last 45 heavily or maybe doing a certificate. Do you guys know of any pre-professional programs to raise GPA? or have other ideas for me to research?
Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Quoting what I wrote in another post:

I think what you do going forward will be super important in determining if you are accepted to vet school in the future. Do whatever you can to make As to bring up your science GPA and apply with a strong last 45 GPA. If both of those are strong, you can focus on applying to schools that weigh those more heavily and apply to schools that honor grade forgiveness for repeated courses. Additionally, Mizzou and Illinois allow you to petition to ignore your prior academic record after some period of time. I didn’t personally pursue this avenue but it may be worth looking into. One of the schools requires a second bachelors (iirc) and I didn’t want to take that many credits.

Have you taken your vet school prereqs yet or will you’ve taking them for the first time?
Also, I think whether you do an organized post-bacc program vs taking classes as a non-degree seeking student vs getting a masters depends a lot on what’s available to you. Personally, when I was living in California I took basic bio and gen chem at a community college because it was cheap and the universities near me didn’t take post-bacc students. When I moved to Georgia I was able to apply to the university nearest me for a 2nd bachelors. I enrolled in the degree program and took the classes needed for vet school admissions but didn’t finish the degree. I couldn’t justify the cost of a 2nd bachelors.

Ultimately I would only go the masters route if you think it will be useful to you or you could see yourself going into that field if vet school doesn’t work out. Otherwise not worth the cost imo.

Have you taken your vet school prereqs yet or will you’ve taking them for the first time?
Also, I think whether you do an organized post-bacc program vs taking classes as a non-degree seeking student vs getting a masters depends a lot on what’s available to you. Personally, when I was living in California I took basic bio and gen chem at a community college because it was cheap and the universities near me didn’t take post-bacc students. When I moved to Georgia I was able to apply to the university nearest me for a 2nd bachelors. I enrolled in the degree program and took the classes needed for vet school admissions but didn’t finish the degree. I couldn’t justify the cost of a 2nd bachelors.

Ultimately I would only go the masters route if you think it will be useful to you or you could see yourself going into that field if vet school doesn’t work out. Otherwise not worth the cost imo.

What if you have too many hours in your science GPA? Would it just be better for someone to just retake the courses they did poorly in or to take more science related courses to boost? Or would it then be better to try to boost the science while focusing on getting the last 45 hours to a 4.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you have too many hours in your science GPA? Would it just be better for someone to just retake the courses they did poorly in or to take more science related courses to boost? Or would it then be better to try to boost the science while focusing on getting the last 45 hours to a 4.0?

This is all very dependent on the school. For example, Michigan State calculates their last 36 GPA including all courses taken (including retakes), but their science GPA is calculated only with retakes if a course is retaken. So, for them, retaking a course with a previous poor grade would be smart. But schools that emphasize an overall science GPA may not show a huge difference. Same with last-45-heavy schools - depends on how long ago a course was taken the first time. GENERALLY, most schools seem to prefer taking courses at a higher level rather than retaking previous courses (assuming they meet minimum grade requirements). But some strategy could be beneficial.

I’ve already finished all pre-reqs and I’m finishing my bachelors now with some upper level electives like endocrinology and histology.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I think you should start by looking into where you want to apply. I know LSU calculates their own prereq GPA and adds in any bio courses you’ve taken in which you’ve earned an A. I made sure to meet the requirements for schools that place heavy emphasis on science and last 45 GPAs (KSU, LSU, ISU, UMN, Michigan State, and some others I’m sure I’m forgetting). I also didn’t apply to places like Cornell, where they weight cumulative GPA 25%, or Wisconsin, where they use your cumulative up to your first bachelors degree. Apply smart and kick a$$ in your classes from here on out.

This is my first application cycle and I have a 3.1 cumulative, 3.6 science (3.0 with engineering courses, thanks VMCAS ), and 4.0 last 45 (which is all science courses). It’s early on in the application cycle but I’ve interviewed and been accepted to SGU and I’ve interviewed at LMU. I have quite a few schools to hear back from still but haven’t automatically been rejected from anywhere yet! Coming back from a poor GPA is definitely do-able but you have to work hard and make yourself stand out in other ways. I also used the explanation statement to very factually explain medical issues I had as an undergraduate student, what I did about it, and provided a few examples to show that it’s no longer an issue. You may not have as many options as someone with stellar grades and you need to be ok with that. And try to minimize your student loan debt just in case you end up having to go out of state or internationally for vet school.

Reactions: 1 user