Medical RAFFLE ITEMS: 9 Admissions Ebooks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We are really excited to raffle off three copies of our three popular admissions ebooks, to nine lucky winners!

Here are the ebooks we are raffling off:

1) Write Your Way to Medical School
2) Write Your Way to a Residency Match
3) Write Your Way to a Fellowship Match

To enter the raffle, post questions about the ebook you are interested in winning or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion thread linked to above. SDN will select winners at the end of Test Prep Week and you will be notified via email if you won.

Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As someone who has read and helped to edit other peoples' personal statements, this seems to be an invaluable tool for many pre-meds. How does your book help people who consider themselves successful writers (definitely not saying I am one!)?

Thanks for your question. Accepted.com's medical admissions ebooks are very helpful resources-- they focus on strategy (how to approach the writing process, how to brainstorm, etc) as well as concrete tips for success. We also provide specific advice for how to approach different parts of the application (such as your CV, the activities portion of the AMCAS, etc). Additionally, we give concrete advice, based on years of experience, to help you avoid common application pitfalls.

What much weight does presenting oneself hold in the admissions process? I realize even a good applicant needs to differentiate themselves from the many qualified applicants, but does it basically boil down to how one writes essays and activity descriptions on the AMCAS application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told by several department chairmen that the residency essay should explain why I want that specialty but more importantly help them get to know me. They also say not to be trite and not to talk about the usual reasons someone might want a particular specialty. I am wondering what your take on all this is.

What much weight does presenting oneself hold in the admissions process? I realize even a good applicant needs to differentiate themselves from the many qualified applicants, but does it basically boil down to how one writes essays and activity descriptions on the AMCAS application?
Thanks for your question!
The admissions process weighs many factors-- your academic performance, your MCAT, your activities (such as research, volunteer work, work experience, etc etc). How you present yourself in your application is a part of that, too-- the committee wants to know who you are, why you're pursuing medical school, why your experiences are important to you, what you've learned, etc.
Obviously, if you don't have the stats in the first place, writing a beautiful essay about nothing won't produce miracles. But your application is a chance to show who you are-- beyond a GPA and test score-- and how your experiences have shaped your goals.

I've been told by several department chairmen that the residency essay should explain why I want that specialty but more importantly help them get to know me. They also say not to be trite and not to talk about the usual reasons someone might want a particular specialty. I am wondering what your take on all this is.

I certainly agree with the advice that you shouldn't give trite reasons for pursuing your specialty, or rely on cliche. The goal of the residency essay is to show why you've chosen your specialty-- specifically. This means why the specialty is the right one for you-- so if you do some careful thinking about what specific, unique experiences motivated your interest in this specialty, you can work on a statement that accomplishes both goals you mentioned in your post (helping the reader to get to know you as well as explaining your residency goals). Hope that helps answer your question!

Sabio,

The numbers and objective elements of the application count. If you have a below average MCAT and dismal grades, the most beautiful presentation in the world is unlikely to be enough to overcome that kind of hurdle.

However, when your numbers are in the ball park and your overall profile is competitive, the essays and experiences help the readers to get to know you as a human being and potential physician. An effective presentation of you at your best can make an enormous difference. It's your one chance to make a first impression.

Best,
Linda

Can you tell us anything about what specific strategies your medical school admissions books offer?

I'm interested in the Write Your Way to Medical School ebook. I wonder if there are many sample essays included. Besides the personal statement, do you have sample of "letter of interest" to the admission offices in the book?

Do your books have any helpful advise on mini interview process?

I'm interested in the Write Your Way to Medical School ebook. I wonder if there are many sample essays included. Besides the personal statement, do you have sample of "letter of interest" to the admission offices in the book?

Hi Coldtse888-
Write Your Way to Medical School includes excerpts from sample essays to illustrate its points.
We also provide sample essays on our site at http://www.accepted.com/medical/sampleessays.aspx

I hope this is helpful!

Can you tell us anything about what specific strategies your medical school admissions books offer?

Hi Hemorrage:
Write Your Way to Medical School deals with all aspects of your med school application-- while the book focuses most of all on your personal essay, it also provides advice on how to approach your activities section, your secondary essays, recommendations, etc.

The core of the book is a guide to how to write your personal statement-- from brainstorming/strategy, to getting words on paper, to revising. It provides a lot of great practical advice on how to focus your ideas, develop a coherent theme for your essay, and write an essay that people will want to read.

Do you believe that someone who has had very meaningful life experience in the clinical field and articulates it well in a PS can gain an edge on people with similar stats?

How much does your company charge to edit AMCAS and secondary essays? Does it included the activity list editing?

Do you believe that someone who has had very meaningful life experience in the clinical field and articulates it well in a PS can gain an edge on people with similar stats?
neuronephrons,

Yes, definitely. Valuable experience well presented will give you an edge over someone with similar stats who either doesn't have that meaningful clinical exposure or doesn't present it well. Obvious, others may have different valuable experiences.

But if the medical school personal statement introduces you as someone with valuable experience and perspective, it as adding value to your application and making you a more attractive applicant. That's what it's supposed to do.

Best,
Linda

How much does your company charge to edit AMCAS and secondary essays? Does it included the activity list editing?
Kingking,

We do edit AMCAS and secondary essays as well as the experience section of the AMCAS. We have comprehensive flat rate services that provide what you're seeing. We also offer hourly fee-based services with different rates depending on how much you purchase. Our hourly services can be used for editing any of the above as well as interview prep.

Regards,
Linda