Rads rotation as a 3rd year. Would it be somewhat useless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kr#36

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to covid the pickings for my 3rd elective are slim to say the least. Would it be worth anything to do a rotation with a pp rads guy as a 3rd year? I assume that there is very little I could do or offer. It isn't affiliated with any residency program either. Any benefits to this or should I find something where I might have the chance to see patients and develop some basic skills?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think so. It may even be discouraging. I didn't really like mine, but I was into radiology quite a bit already. If anything, it gives you a chance to meet radiologists, which for the most part are people that I like to be around. Not always, but almost always personally.
There is really nothing exciting seating behind a desk watching a radiologist dictate. It is much more fun to do it yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Ask how the pp rads guy is going to engage you. If you can get set up with remote access to PACS to preview cases like a resident, that would be amazing, even if you didn't dictate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Due to covid the pickings for my 3rd elective are slim to say the least. Would it be worth anything to do a rotation with a pp rads guy as a 3rd year? I assume that there is very little I could do or offer. It isn't affiliated with any residency program either. Any benefits to this or should I find something where I might have the chance to see patients and develop some basic skills?

It would be worth it because it will show that you have a strong interest in radiology and that you understand the workflow/job of a radiologist.

It will likely be useless to your education but that is no different than a Radiology rotation at a university. You will not learn much as a med student on Radiology since it is mostly just sitting and watching and therefore it sucks. I always send my students home after like 20 minutes to study and enjoy life before residency.

Last edited:
It would be worth it because it will show that you have a strong interest in radiology and that you understand the workflow/job of a radiologist.

It will likely to useless to your education but that is no different than a Radiology rotation at a university. You will not learn much very useful as a med student on radiology. It is mostly just sitting and watching and sucks. I always send my students home after like 20 minutes to study and enjoy life before residency.

Thanks. Honestly it still sounds better than writing a patient note so the resident can give me a kudos then throw it away.

Reactions: 5 users

It will likely be useless to your education but that is no different than a Radiology rotation at a university. You will not learn much as a med student on Radiology since it is mostly just sitting and watching and therefore it sucks. I always send my students home after like 20 minutes to study and enjoy life before residency.
A radiology rotation at a university is more likely to have dedicated teaching sessions about topics high-yield for medical students, as well as residents to hang out with.