Radiology Residency at UC School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

workaholic007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
238 Step score. Some non-radiology research. Entering 3rd year. Am I on the right track to match into UCLA, UCSD, UC-Davis, etc for radiology diagnostic?

I am curious if I am behind the curve, ahead, or at the curve. Not sure what the step average are but I go to a school not in California and do not have any links to California. I want to go there since I have some extended family, weather, culture, etc. Advice/tips?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a stickied what are my chances thread that's a better place to ask this instead of making your own thread..with the info you've provided you're a below average applicant for academic programs in California. 240 was the average step 1 for all matched applicants in the last charting outcomes and California is particularly competitive. There are a lot of instate students who want those spots and a lot of applicants who are from California and want to come back for residency. Biggest things you can do are get great third year grades, AOA, and crush step 2.

There's a stickied what are my chances thread that's a better place to ask this instead of making your own thread..with the info you've provided you're a below average applicant for academic programs in California. 240 was the average step 1 for all matched applicants in the last charting outcomes and California is particularly competitive. There are a lot of instate students who want those spots and a lot of applicants who are from California and want to come back for residency. Biggest things you can do are get great third year grades, AOA, and crush step 2.
I see, do you think I can still match at a mid tier/top program? I thought radiology was relatively easier to match in. Sucks my 238 score is considered weak.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matching radiology in general is not the same as matching radiology in a competitive location/top program. There is a lot of variance. You will be competing with people with 240-250s all over so the big thing is to make contacts, do aways and get letters from west coast/Cali bigwigs. If they like you as a rotator and you have a overall good application then a 238 won't close any doors, it's just not going to be enough on its own to make you stand out.

Matching radiology in general is not the same as matching radiology in a competitive location/top program. There is a lot of variance. You will be competing with people with 240-250s all over so the big thing is to make contacts, do aways and get letters from west coast/Cali bigwigs. If they like you as a rotator and you have a overall good application then a 238 won't close any doors, it's just not going to be enough on its own to make you stand out.
yeah man really sucks I got a low step score considering my practice exams were 250+.

Do you think 238 is good enough for academic program like university of XXX? I just dont want to end of community program.

238 can definitely get you into solid mid tier academic programs. You may have a tough time at places like UCSF and Stanford. Apply broadly and like I said, try to do aways and get your foot in the door. The score isn't the issue, it's the location. Some community programs in California can be as competitive if not more than some academic programs in other places, even if the training is far better at the latter. This can also vary year to year as radiology can kind of ebb and flow in competitiveness. The best bet is to get to know some of the people in the programs you want to do it, do aways, and build connections with program leadership.

Nothing is guaranteed in CA. It depends on a number of factors including how many people from your class want to match to CA, the total number of applicants that year, etc., in addition to CA just being competetive at baseline. Prob the smartest guy in my class applied radiology and wanted to match Socal to be close to family, he interviewed at UCLA but not UCSD, and didn't match there after ranking it #1 (they took a girl in our class instead of him... looking at the pics of their current residents, they seem to put high priority on a certain 'type' of applicant)

Reactions: 1 users
TBH, with no links to California I would say not much of a chance at any of the UC or any California programs unless you do away rotations there and get strong letters and connections from academic Radiologists from the area. They are very competitive, one of my friends with stronger scores and grew up in California (all the way through college) did not match there. I would suggest a few away rotations if you're gunning hard for this location.
I had high step scores and AOA, all honors, tons of research and got a grand total of 3 interviews in California. No connection to the area. I applied to every program in the state. Disclaimer, I matched my #1 which was non-Cali so can't say if I would've matched to those California programs I interviewed or not. Just wanted to provide my perspective.

238 Step score. Some non-radiology research. Entering 3rd year. Am I on the right track to match into UCLA, UCSD, UC-Davis, etc for radiology diagnostic?

I am curious if I am behind the curve, ahead, or at the curve. Not sure what the step average are but I go to a school not in California and do not have any links to California. I want to go there since I have some extended family, weather, culture, etc. Advice/tips?

Without any links and those scores you are behind the curve. High and mid tier academics are off the table for the most part.

mid tier are off? why do you say that

Bc you have a relatively weak CA application. No radiology research, average score, no CA ties. Unless you have something going for you (top med school, URM, woman) you don't have a strong application. You might get lucky and get a mid tier academic but I wouldn't count on it.

Reactions: 1 users
mid tier are off? why do you say that
Mid tier in california can be as competitive as high tier in less desirable places. There's a lot of people trying to go back or break into that area. You also have to realize some of the truly top tier applications from around the country will take up a chunk of the spots at UCSF/Stanford/UCLA so even good Cali candidates might slip to the mid-tier.

Reactions: 2 users
Mid tier in california can be as competitive as high tier in less desirable places. There's a lot of people trying to go back or break into that area. You also have to realize some of the truly top tier applications from around the country will take up a chunk of the spots at UCSF/Stanford/UCLA so even good Cali candidates might slip to the mid-tier.
Bc you have a relatively weak CA application. No radiology research, average score, no CA ties. Unless you have something going for you (top med school, URM, woman) you don't have a strong application. You might get lucky and get a mid tier academic but I wouldn't count on it.

Wait what about mid tier nationwide. Am I competitive for that? I was under the impression we were talking about mid tier nationwide (midwest/South/east coast)

Mid tier nationwide you will be fine particularly midwest and south. Apply broadly to any location you can see yourself living in.

Nothing is guaranteed in CA. It depends on a number of factors including how many people from your class want to match to CA, the total number of applicants that year, etc., in addition to CA just being competetive at baseline. Prob the smartest guy in my class applied radiology and wanted to match Socal to be close to family, he interviewed at UCLA but not UCSD, and didn't match there after ranking it #1 (they took a girl in our class instead of him... looking at the pics of their current residents, they seem to put high priority on a certain 'type' of applicant)

What does that even mean that they take a certain “type”?

Fellowship seems to correlate better with where people find jobs, anyway, possibly even more so than residency. I know many people who did residency out of state, came to California for fellowship, then ended up staying for a job.