Radiology Reserach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nir1009

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that you need a Step 1 score of about 230+ to be matched into a radiology residency. But I just have a few questions:

1.) What kind of class rank is needed?
2.) Does it matter what medical school you are from. I am from Drexel Medical School and it is not one of the best, so would I need a higher class rank than others?
3.) How early should research begin?
4.) What else would help?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Not sure about class rank, but Im sure AOA helps.
2) The med school you are from matters most in terms of regionality. Most programs are pretty regional in who the interview unless you are a really top applicant. Otherwise it probably doesnt matter too much among applicants with similar stats.
3) Research is a very good thing to have on your application but not necessary. But only do it if doesnt take away too much from your school work and boards studying. If you are going to do it, try to get simple projects that have defined end points (i.e. not bench-top research). That way you are more likely to get published which looks good.

what exactly does AOA mean? I know it has something to do with being in the top of your class. I'm sorry I'm not in medical school yet so I don't know all the terminology.

Members don't see this ad :)
AOA is the honor society at most med schools.

It is considered an honor to be able to join.

It is especially prestigious if one is able to qualify for AOA as a junior!

nir1009 said:
I know that you need a Step 1 score of about 230+ to be matched into a radiology residency. But I just have a few questions:

1.) What kind of class rank is needed?
2.) Does it matter what medical school you are from. I am from Drexel Medical School and it is not one of the best, so would I need a higher class rank than others?
3.) How early should research begin?
4.) What else would help?

Funny that you mention Drexel. My cousin went to Drexel Med (when it was Hahnneman) and he is currently in his 2nd year at Harvard for Rads residency. Funny thing is that he felt like he was more prepared than the other guys in his residency. He had to work harder and get higher scores compared to the others in his class who came from more prestigious places (Tufts, Harvard, etc)