Radiology after Nuclear Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modanq

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can those who have applied to radiology after nuclear medicine residency please share their experiences. I have several nuclear medicine interviews coming up and would like to hear from those who have succesfully made the jump to Radiology. Were your PD helpful in transitioning to radiology? Did your own institution consider you? Are there ways to obtain a position outside of the match? Please PM me or share. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you do Nuclear medicine residency at first place?

Try to find a radiology spot now. If you are interested in Nucs, then apply to a Nucs fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not...I mean do not do a Nuclear medicine residency. Go do some research in Radiology. I can talk from experience.

I did a nuclear medicine residency from a reputable program. But it does not matter where you do it from. You run into all sorts of medicare funding issues after completing one residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I'm a radiologist with a an ABR CAQ in nuclear medicine doing 50% nuclear medicine in my practice. In my opinion, the pure nuclear medicine physician will be obsolete soon, with the possible exception of some academic practices in which research is a heavy component of the practice. Cardiac nuclear medicine is or will soon be practiced solely by cardiologists. What's left is primarily oncologic nuclear medicine which will be mostly PET-CT. You simply cannot do PET-CT well without being an experienced body CT reader. And that skill is difficult to acquire without a radiology residency training program. For that matter, I find that MRI competency is often necessary in interpreting and correlating nuclear medicine exams, particularly bone scans. Also, Like it or not, the field of nuclear medicine, especially without nuclear cardiology, has become "nuclear imaging'. In private practice in particular, productivity is measured by exams interpreted. Deep knowledge in nuclear medicine pharmacy, instumentation, radiation safety, etc. is nice but it doesn't translate into RVU's. I wish it weren't this way, but times have changed.

I would strongly encourage doing a radiology residency. If you know that your interests lean toward nuclear medicine and perhaps body imaging, you can tailor your residency to meet those goals. If getting accepted to a radiology program is a problem, keep trying. And remember the name of the program is less important than the type of experiences that are offered. Good luck!

I have a friend of mine who is looking for a Nuclear Medicine Physician that has a Radiology background. I have no idea on where to go to help him out and thought I would post it on this forum. It seems to be a pretty lucrative job opportunity as they are setting up a full Radiopharmaceutical production facility with a PET/CT onsite. I think they are going to have a PET/MR as well.

Anyone know of any leads or anyone looking for a position please help me help him.

IS
Can those who have applied to radiology after nuclear medicine residency please share their experiences. I have several nuclear medicine interviews coming up and would like to hear from those who have succesfully made the jump to Radiology. Were your PD helpful in transitioning to radiology? Did your own institution consider you? Are there ways to obtain a position outside of the match? Please PM me or share. Thanks.

Is it possible to find a job without doing second residency in Radiology? I read that it is almost impossible to find the job... I am going to have the interview in NM residency, I don't know what to do...