Radial Motors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to do more radial motors, mostly for practice for when I need them. I've used both surface and needle pickup in/over the EIP. I stim 8 cm proximal, then antecubital fossa (ACF), below the spiral groove and above. I've noticed the following -

Usually takes 100 mA and 200 mSec to get full activation for distal stim, which blows the onset curve to hell. Often takes 300 mSec + proximally. Most onsets seem to be around 2.0 - 2.8 ms.

Antecubital and other proximal stims give large postive deflection before the rise, making onset difficult again.

Distal stim amplitude is usually around 3 - 4 mV, proximal 2 mV, sometimes 1-2 mV. Proximal from ACF and back are usually about 1/2 distal stim amplitude.

Measuring seems to be a bitch - even with arm fully extended, I often get NCV in the proximal forearm in the 45 m/s range - like the measurement is off by a couple cm. Similarly, below SG to ACF gives values around 75 - 80 m/s often, even using surface tape measure. It's like my stim point compared to what I'm measuring in the ACF is off by 2-3 cm consistantly.

I've done some Erb's point stims and almost never get a response above 1 mV, if any.

I also have checked for F-waves, and find them in about 25% of those tested. They're short and fat when they are there.

I've read Dumitru's views on radial nerves, and several other authors. Any comments? Others' experiences with radial motors? Tips?

Members don't see this ad.