Rad to derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radtoderm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a radiology residency and would like to switch to derm. I was originally undecided b/t derm and rads, but now realize how much I dislike reading imaging studies all day with very little pt contact. My PGY 1 was in IM. Is the best way to accomplish this through the match, and if so can do any programs match for pgy2 spot beginning 7/05? I was AOA/Step 233, but there is no derm program at my institution. Is it reasonable to expect to match? Also,what is the time constraint/deadline situation?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

this is the first time i'm hearing of someone wanting to switch out of a Radiology residency! interesting. I am a fourth year who was undecided between ENT and Radiology and the final decision was very tough, but I went with radiology, thinking it fit my personality better. I am thinking of doing a surgery preliminary year however just in case in the future i decide i want to do something surgical!

radtoderm said:
I am currently in a radiology residency and would like to switch to derm. I was originally undecided b/t derm and rads, but now realize how much I dislike reading imaging studies all day with very little pt contact. My PGY 1 was in IM. Is the best way to accomplish this through the match, and if so can do any programs match for pgy2 spot beginning 7/05? I was AOA/Step 233, but there is no derm program at my institution. Is it reasonable to expect to match? Also,what is the time constraint/deadline situation?
Thanks

Tell me more about what you don't like about radiology. I'm strongly considering it -- currently it's tied with ENT.

Members don't see this ad :)
medstudent2005 said:
this is the first time i'm hearing of someone wanting to switch out of a Radiology residency! interesting. I am a fourth year who was undecided between ENT and Radiology and the final decision was very tough, but I went with radiology, thinking it fit my personality better. I am thinking of doing a surgery preliminary year however just in case in the future i decide i want to do something surgical!

It seems like every other radiologist that I've talked to was considering ENT! Which is the crossroads I'm at. What's the deal here? Maximum lifestyle, lots of minor procedures, and serious bucks??

You have a strong academic record.You need to show a more of an interest interest in Derm to match,at least an elective.Other applicants have been doing research and cultivating contacts,which is key part of getting a Derm residency.There are many fewer positions in Derm than Rads,so few get in just on scores and grades as they may into radiology.If you really want to get in may be necessary to spend a year post internship as a research fellow to make up for your lack of backround and get to know the right people.

From the perspective of a MSIV who has done 3 rads electives: One thing about rads that I don't like is that PACS almost eliminates the physician/physician interaction that is common draw to rads for a lot of people. I have spoken with multiple attendings who also feel this way. I also felt that a lot of rads was interpretation of films that PMD's ordered to cover their as**s. This got old for me. I also did not like the hedging that commonly occurs in rads. Recently, during an elective I had two attendings tell me the joke "What is the favorite plant of all radiologist? A: The hedge." I laughed, but thought to myself did I go into medicine to hedge? No I prefer absolute answers (big difference between rads and ENT). Also keep in mind that you will get a lot of exposure to rads in fields like ENT, Neurosurg, Neurology, Urology, and Cards. All that being said rads is a fascinating field, but I think it is one of the more isolated enviornments offered in medicine. Do electives in both and do what you like most, but concentrate on what life will be like after residency, not during. I have heard life in PP rads is more isolating that during residency b/c there are no other residents, no conferences etc. Something to keep in mind.

Hudson said:
Recently, during an elective I had two attendings tell me the joke "What is the favorite plant of all radiologist? A: The hedge." I laughed, but thought to myself did I go into medicine to hedge?

The radiology mascot is the Hedge-Hog.

My original plan was Ophthalmology. I convinced otherwise. I personally have interactions when I do Pediatrics (VCUGs/Swallows), US (Pelvic, RUQ US, etc), IR/CT (Biopsies, drainages, etc), and Fluroscopy ( :eek: Defecograms, Barium enemas). That is more than enough patient contact for me. Now why am I still in it again? :confused:

jhadow said:
It seems like every other radiologist that I've talked to was considering ENT! Which is the crossroads I'm at. What's the deal here? Maximum lifestyle, lots of minor procedures, and serious bucks??

I was also deciding between ENT and rads as an MSIV and ultimately decided on rads. The decision was actually made on my ENT sub-I when the fellows were telling me to do radiology instead of ENT. One of the ENT fellows was married to a radiologist, so it seemed like his information was reliable. Utlimately, I realized that I like playing the role of the consultant, and liked doing minor procedures. I was not into the big neck dissections or total laryngectomies. Also, the field of IR was quite alluring, as it seemed to be on the forefront of medicine and very cutting edge. And let's face it, there are only so many ways to take out tonsils.

BenHoganFan said:
The radiology mascot is the Hedge-Hog.

My original plan was Ophthalmology. I convinced otherwise. I personally have interactions when I do Pediatrics (VCUGs/Swallows), US (Pelvic, RUQ US, etc), IR/CT (Biopsies, drainages, etc), and Fluroscopy ( :eek: Defecograms, Barium enemas). That is more than enough patient contact for me. Now why am I still in it again? :confused:

How did you decide rads over ophtho -- I am in the same dilemma and still not 100% sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user