Racism in residency programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you actually think it is that hard to justify getting rid of a resident? Why do you think everyone is scared ****less about saying anything against their program? Because they know how subjective these things are and irregardless of how great a person is, it can ALWAYS be justified easily. All you need is a couple of people on board, a couple of staff complaints which we all have, and voila..
Maybe I was just blissfully self unaware but we spoke up about issues with my program and those issues usually got fixed. After I graduated, complaints about the call schedule led them to switch to a night float system because the residents wanted it and worked out the logistics to make it happen and presented it to the PD.

It actually is hard to justify firing even when warranted. Remember who the people were that hired the bozo in the first place! Lots of residents struggle, but it’s much easier to remediate and get people through the program than it is to fire them, and anyone in academics is there because they like teaching. Being a PD is a huge pain with negligible added compensation for what it requires; only people who like training residents will even think of taking the job.

Now if someone, as you suggest, has multiple faculty with concerns AND clinical staff bothered enough to formally complain, yeah that might be a problem child. Truth is most people don’t have staff complaints at all, certainly not that are reported officially.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Good employers ususally will send the police to check on you if you fail to show up to work and they do not hear from you in 4 to 5 days. If you dont have a good reason as to why you did not show, they will have negative thoughts about you like drugs, mental health, etc. and will likely write you up.

Reactions: 1 user
Good employers usually will send the police to check on you if you fail to show up to work and they do not hear from you in 4 to 5 days. If you dont have a good reason as to why you did not show, they will have negative thoughts about you like drugs, mental health, etc. and will likely write you up.

Exactly. You don't show up for a week and then just say after the fact that you were sick, you may as well have been in Vegas doing hookers and blow.

You think being sick is equivalent to just “chilling at home.” Man, and we wonder why patients hate us. Holy ****

The point is not that sick = chillin at home. The point is that in the absence of an explanation in real time he could have been doing anything. He just literally happened to be at home, probably chilling/resting.

I would expect if one of my residents was sick and could not make it to work, that they would heroically take 20 sec to let me know. We don't know what he was sick with, but odds are it wasn't a coma.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree. Pretty sure one would be fired from most jobs after not showing up for a week without explanation

It’s pretty amazing anyone thinks it’s “not a big deal” and deserves “a warning.”

Goes to show why some residents are fired and think programs are out to get them.

Even flipping burgers if you don’t show up for a week with no notification you’d be immediately fired. And we are doctors. Unless you literally were in a car crash and sedated in the ICU the whole time.

• Love
My opinion is this is a multifactorial issue. Med school/residency is hard some laggards will drop out.

1. From a stats standpoint, under represented minorities tend to have lower hard stat numbers
2. There is racism in isolated instances by not so nice people but I highly doubt there is systemic racism. So yes, they have to deal with this.
3. Growing up under represented, they have dealt with racism thus more hypersensitive when the situation pop up that was not intended to be racism.
4. They typically grew up in a less educated family and an economically lower rung thus adding to the stress of med school/residency. Try going through med school when you have to take the bus to class b/c you can not afford a car or your car breaks down all the time.
5. You have less that looks, acts, grew up like you thus there will be a level of isolation. Its life, people tend to hang around people who are similar.

Add this all together and a few more minor stuff, then you get a higher failure rate.

There were many times when the attendings, upper levels got on me. I am sure I have had things said that could very well been perceived as racist if I were an URM.

Good employers ususally will send the police to check on you if you fail to show up to work and they do not hear from you in 4 to 5 days. If you dont have a good reason as to why you did not show, they will have negative thoughts about you like drugs, mental health, etc. and will likely write you up.
yea exactly. That tells you how much they needed to teach, train him so much so that they did not even ****ing notice he was gone. If you are unaware of my absence, am i really absent?

Based on his explanation a warning would of been more than sufficient. Not like he was just chilling at home. It was an elective. Dude was sick and forgot to tell someone. Big effing deal. The lists of things people have done in residency and not even got a warning for far exceeds his bone headed mistake
This is the exact mindset that is so profoundly foreign to me. If I were out one day, unless I was incapacitated, I would call ASAP. Its just basic mature and responsible characteristics that you would want out of any adult, less a doc in training.

Since my first job at 14 yrs old, I have NEVER been out b/c of being sick. I have been lucky not to be on deathbed but if I can get up, I am going in. I have missed 1 work day when my uncle suddenly died.

But to miss 7 days, not call, is beyond irresponsible. If I were a residency director, and had the power to do so, I would likely have let him go. I know anyone under me, unless he/she is a proven star with a good reason, who pulls this stunt would be immediately let go.

Reactions: 1 users
My opinion is this is a multifactorial issue. Med school/residency is hard some laggards will drop out.

1. From a stats standpoint, under represented minorities tend to have lower hard stat numbers
2. There is racism in isolated instances by not so nice people but I highly doubt there is systemic racism. So yes, they have to deal with this.
3. Growing up under represented, they have dealt with racism thus more hypersensitive when the situation pop up that was not intended to be racism.
4. They typically grew up in a less educated family and an economically lower rung thus adding to the stress of med school/residency. Try going through med school when you have to take the bus to class b/c you can not afford a car or your car breaks down all the time.
5. You have less that looks, acts, grew up like you thus there will be a level of isolation. Its life, people tend to hang around people who are similar.

Add this all together and a few more minor stuff, then you get a higher failure rate.

There were many times when the attendings, upper levels got on me. I am sure I have had things said that could very well been perceived as racist if I were an URM.
Where is that J.O. militarymd when you need him? I bet you he would have plenty to say about this.

yea exactly. That tells you how much they needed to teach, train him so much so that they did not even ****ing notice he was gone. If you are unaware of my absence, am i really absent?
It was an ER rotation. Back then we were allowed to schedule our own shifts as long as we hit a minimum number of hours. When the program received my evaluation none of the ER doctors could remember working with me that first week which is how I got found out.

After that they scheduled our shifts for us for some weird reason.

• Haha
This is the exact mindset that is so profoundly foreign to me. If I were out one day, unless I was incapacitated, I would call ASAP. Its just basic mature and responsible characteristics that you would want out of any adult, less a doc in training.

Since my first job at 14 yrs old, I have NEVER been out b/c of being sick. I have been lucky not to be on deathbed but if I can get up, I am going in. I have missed 1 work day when my uncle suddenly died.

But to miss 7 days, not call, is beyond irresponsible. If I were a residency director, and had the power to do so, I would likely have let him go. I know anyone under me, unless he/she is a proven star with a good reason, who pulls this stunt would be immediately let go.
Interestingly, one year later I had a kidney stone and tried to stay at work since I was on call and they wouldn't let me.

I did manage to stay at work through several GI bugs and upper respiratory infections after this went down.

You think being sick is equivalent to just “chilling at home.” Man, and we wonder why patients hate us. Holy ****
Hardly. I screwed up royally and was lucky not to be fired. HR wanted to but my PD gave me a second chance.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone who has been here for a while has seen ridiculous stories. One fired resident posted on here about how they were unfairly targeted and someone just hated them... Then three pages into the thread it came out they were fired for hiding a camera in a bathroom and the fired resident kept trying to justify their actions...

I'm sure that there are still residencies where this happens and residents get fired inappropriately. But the residents that I personally knew who were fired definitely deserved it and got many, many chances to redeem their professionalism issues.

I also love my residency program and felt I could honestly provide feedback to my PC, PD or department chair and they would take me seriously. We got to vote on things like night float vs 24 shifts and our votes mattered. Every single year the residents voted to keep a particular part of our schedule that one division wanted to change. And the resident vote overruled the request of the attendings from that division every single year, as an example.

I agree. Pretty sure one would be fired from most jobs after not showing up for a week without explanation
This is actually a great idea example of programs not wanting to fire people. Beyond the pain in the butt procedures and paperwork, it screws up the call schedule, clinic patient panels, and you have to deal with people asking why.

It's why outside of severe unforgivable problems, you almost always get at least a second chance.

Reactions: 7 users
Let’s put it this way- for every resident I know that was possibly “targeted” and treated unfairly, I know 10 that definitively SHOULD have been fired and now are unsafe or highly unprofessional attendings.

Reactions: 3 users
Let’s put it this way- for every resident I know that was possibly “targeted” and treated unfairly, I know 10 that definitively SHOULD have been fired and now are unsafe or highly unprofessional attendings.
Dang isn’t that the truth! The research on this has been pretty compelling that those who have issues as med students and residents end up being the attendings that are more likely to be sued or have a licensure action.

The issues definitely don’t just vanish once training ends.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
That's why people rave about residency programs so much because they are run by good people!!! Dude, get your head out of your rear, please!!

6ljk2z.jpg

Residency wasn't pleasant but that was more of a factor of the general situation: lots to learn, limited time, sick patients etc.

Some attendings were unpleasant but the majority including the PD and chair were fine.

• Haha
I trained 20 yrs ago in a shock trauma/knife/gun club residency. Residents broke rules left and right. I am sure admin knew about it b/c some of the young attendings hung out with the senior residents.

One resident would moonlight like crazy, paid other residents to cover their shifts and nothing happened. I know of a guy who used drugs, I am sure the PD knew, and he graduated.

To be fired from residency, you have to almost try to be fired or you really pissed a higher up somehow.

I trained 20 yrs ago in a shock trauma/knife/gun club residency. Residents broke rules left and right. I am sure admin knew about it b/c some of the young attendings hung out with the senior residents.

One resident would moonlight like crazy, paid other residents to cover their shifts and nothing happened. I know of a guy who used drugs, I am sure the PD knew, and he graduated.

To be fired from residency, you have to almost try to be fired or you really pissed a higher up somehow.
Eh, that was also 20 years ago. Stuff like that absolutely would get you in trouble these days, and fired if you didn't stop doing it.

Yes, there are residency programs that even test for nicotine these days. Forbid somebody is doing NRT with gum or something

Yes, there are residency programs that even test for nicotine these days. Forbid somebody is doing NRT with gum or something
That’s more about saving money on their employee health insurance rates though, they don’t actually care about it otherwise.

That’s more about saving money on their employee health insurance rates though, they don’t actually care about it otherwise.
I just don’t see the point in testing for gum unless cotinine is the only reliable test for tobacco. Vyvanse/adderall Is probably much worse for the heart than nicotine and it’s prescribed like candy for the most part.

That was then, this is now. 20 years ago, there were no pyxis anywhere. Wanted to take out narcotic it was all done from a double cabinet and paper. Waste,pfffffttttt!!! It was hardly monitored. Now 1 drop of waste goes missing, you are done.

I just don’t see the point in testing for gum unless cotinine is the only reliable test for tobacco. Vyvanse/adderall Is probably much worse for the heart than nicotine and it’s prescribed like candy for the most part.
Nicotine testing is the standard. There might be another way to check for tobacco use that I'm unaware of, but if so it's probably very expensive and pretty difficult to do.

??? It's exactly like he was chilling at home. He was literally at home. For 9 days, he couldn't take 20 sec to email/call/text anyone?!?

The absolute most basic tenet of any job is: show up. To fail to do so for a week, with an explanation only after the fact, is gonna get you in hot water every time.
There are a lot of SDNers who don't understand that residency IS a job. For many med school graduates, it's the first job they've had in their life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
That means that approximately 46/6887 - or 0.67% - of Black residents were fired that year - compared to a rate of 0.2% overall. If we extrapolate out to over the course of a training period - which averages 4 years - rather than per year, then ~97% of Black trainees complete their residency compared to ~99% overall. This varies significantly per specialty - if you look at slide 44 of the initially linked document, the Black trainee pipeline dismissal was as high as 12.3% in Surgery or as low as 2% in Pediatrics, with White trainees ranging from 0.3% to 2.0%

That's simultaneously a relatively big and a relatively small difference. What percentage of the difference is racism? I have no idea. Certainly not zero. Probably not 100%.

Isn't one of the messages we should take from this data that it is extraordinarily hard to get fired from residency. If 99% of white trainees and 97% of black trainees finish a 3-5 year residency, that is far and above the job retention rate in the rest of the U.S. Maybe just don't be in the bottom 1-3% of residents. That gives you a large landing strip to be successful on. Systemic racism and bias are always things we as a medical system need to work at and be vigilant about preventing as much as possible, but if you are in the bottom 3% of residents maybe look internally first before pinning the dismissal on bias. All these claims need to be settled in court or adjudication anyways, we can't get enough granular detail or specifics on each of these cases to make accurate judgment about them online anyways.

We fired 2 residents in my 5 year residency with 50 total residents, one URM and one ORM. Both were horrible residents, made terrible mistakes that led to them being fired and ultimately would have been horrible surgeons. I wish my program would have fired at least double that to keep the quality of surgeons high and protect patients.

• Love
Lots to comment upon. Again, I appreciate the (mostly) constructive and respectful posts from those on all sides of this discussion. Usually, threads like this end up being closed by this time.

As mentioned above, the relative difference in termination rates between races seems quite large, however the absolute difference is very small -- since the vast majority of residents graduate without difficulty. This doesn't mean that it's not a problem, but does impact how we evaluate it. Many have mentioned how this was not a problem in their programs -- which is good news obviously. But a small absolute difference like this isn't going to be noticeable to 99% of people -- you only see it when you look at population statistics.

It is: the black people admitted to medical schools tend to have lower scores than the asian people admitted to medical schools. For this we have pretty compelling objective data.
This is certainly true. Anyone who looks at the AAMC data can see a marked difference in MCAT test score averages -- 506 vs 513 in the latest data comparing Black and white matriculants. Since the standard deviation of both those metrics are 6 (I'm rounding all of these numbers for simplicity), this is a quite significant difference.

However, the MCAT is designed to predict how well people will do in medical school. It's certainly not perfect, some would argue it doesn't work well at all. Just because one group of people have a lower MCAT score than another doesn't necessarily mean that they will inherently do worse in medical school -- although it's also quite possible that they will. Even with this difference, I personally doubt this is the main driver of the difference we see. I realize I have no data to support this -- it's simply my opinion and it's no better than your opinion. My experience has been that USMLE score is a poor predictor of resident quality.
While I cannot answer the bigger question of why black people score lower on tests than asian people, I think it’s pretty obvious why the black people admitted to medical schools score lower than the asians admitted to medical school:

The black people who scored or would have scored as high or higher elected to pursue different fields than medicine. Their reasons for picking other fields may partly be related to a perception that they would face discrimination in the medical field, or possibly they found other paths (tech, finance) more lucrative and interesting.
This is a very interesting supposition. Do you have any data that supports it?

I don't need a double blinded randomized controlled trial to know that I need a parachute when I jump out of a plane.
Conveniently, one of these has been done: Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma when jumping from aircraft: randomized controlled trial

Spoiler alert: it demonstrated no improved survival of wearing a parachute and jumping from a plane.
I don’t see a plausible explanation for how racism drives lower test scores other than that the URMs who would score higher simply aren’t applying to medical school. But of those that do apply, they clearly have lower knowledge base and lower aptitude as measured by the exams they took. Even if ills of society led to these inequities, it doesn’t alter the fact that the URMs entering med school do so with lower aptitude than others overall.
A common explanation is income. MCAT (and other exam) performance often tracks with familial income. Improved family finances often results in students not being required to work (so more time to study), better study tools. It may also result in an upbringing more supportive of good study habits -- it's really hard to help/support your kids academic goals if you're working 2 full time jobs. Although I'm sure plenty of parents do just that.

This is the conundrum -- we use MCAT as a predictor of performance in medical school, as a way to measure aptitude. If someone's life circumstances lead to a lower score despite an equivalent aptitude, then that seems an unfair process. But if someone's aptitude is in fact lower, then giving them a boost due to their life experiences also seems unfair. And life isn't fair, so there isn't a good way to fix this.
You’re right that the resident dismissals have little to do with test scores - most ent residencies don’t care much about ITE scores at all. I definitely know it wasn’t the issue in the linked article. I do think that it probably impacts the numbers reported by ACGME though, and it would be really easy to control for usmle and mcat scores and see if the attrition rate changes. In some ways, the fact those data are just sitting there and acgme hasn’t analyzed it suggests they probably did but didn’t want to publish what would be a highly unpopular result.

Where I think implicit bias drives attrition is when residents get in trouble. Not only is there the potential for faculty to see them as other, but they often lack the availability of good mentors who can help them remediate. I can think of one URM resident I saw get into hot water as an intern and who has since bounced back beautifully - a key factor was a URM faculty who took him under his wing, gave him assigned reading and met frequently to go over material and get him up to speed. I can imagine if he were in another program without such a faculty member, things may have gone differently.
Agreed on both points. I would like to the the exam metric data for the ACGME data. And it's quite possible that some of the difference we are seeing is that residents of all races get into remediation trouble at equal rates (no way to know this), but end up with a difference in terminations due to the issues you mention. Many would call that "systemic racism" - no one is trying to be racist, but the system is stacked against minorities.
Even if URMs are being admitted with worse MCAT scores/GPA it also begs the question whether or not they're receiving adequate support to "catch" up to their peers with higher MCAT/GPAs. Not to mention URMs usually having a different "cultural mindset" that might not match their usually white PD/attending expectations. This is one of the reasons they encourage minorities into leadership/mentorship positions so they can provide their own "cultural viewpoints" into the mix
This is also a very interesting point / issue. It also raises the question of how much deficiency residency programs should need to remediate. If a new intern is quickly discovered to be "worse than a 4th year sub I" in their performance, is it our ethical responsibility to remediate that? Or can we demand some minimum level of performance in our trainees / employees and hold them to that standard? And how to we measure success? Let's say the intern mentioned above, 6 months into internship, is now caught up to where an intern would be expected to be on day 1. Is that success? Should we extend them for a whole 6 months or even a year? Or do we decide they just don't meet our standards? There is no correct answer, and I expect programs will differ in their viewpoints -- and the impact of this on co-residents may be very different in programs of varying sizes and specialties
We will have to agree to disagree. One person in power can absolutely unilaterally make a case for dismissing someone. The due process requirements are non existant. This isnt a criminal trial. Residency is a contract, you give enough notice, I do not have to give you a reason why I am firing you. Residency programs abuse this. Try reporting your hours accurately and see if you dont get ****-canned. Classic cases of retaliation. I am not saying your examples do not exist. There are absolute sociopaths that need to be dismissed but my examples exist not infrequently.

I would encourage you to read through any program’s handbook and policies from their ACGME office about the process for terminating a resident. There is absolutely a due process, just different from that of the criminal justice system. There are some offenses that trump due process, but most things require some kind of written notice, remediation, etc.

I’m sure some retaliation has happened, but it’s exceedingly rare. No matter how much one person hates a resident, you still have to justify your decisions to all your fellow faculty. If you try to can someone they all think is great, it could backfire and you might find yourself having a meeting with your chairman.

It also creates a big risk for your program as too many firings will dissuade top applicants from applying for a few cycles. Privately I’ve heard this from a few faculty that they started dropping lower on their rank list after terminating a couple residents.
I'm going to agree that firing a resident, although not easy, also isn't all that impossible. Once a resident is placed under closer scrutiny (which is often required due to patient safety concerns), addiitional errors and problems are almost certain to be found. This would be true of anyone. Programs that want to get rid of residents can compile these reports and work with HR towards termination. The due process of GME is almost always a review of the "process" -- did you give the resident an adequate warning and chance to improve. It's very difficult for the GME office or other PD's (whom are usually called upon to staff any appeal / grievance process) to assess clinical skills. If the surgery PD says the resident is a klutz in the OR, and they have examples, there is no way for me to assess the validity of that.

Interestingly, in #2, you state that you "highly doubt" systemic racism is at play.
#3-#5 are what I would consider "systemic racism". As mentioned earlier in this thread, this is a common point of disagreement. Systemic racism, by most definitions, does not mean "lots of people are racist in the system". It means that despite well meaning people in the system, the rules / processes / culture of the system impacts minorities in a negative way. Black residents having a lack of good mentors is a classic example of systemic racism.

-----

The ACGME data presented is interesting, but doesn't "prove" anything. Most likely the difference is due to a mixture of factors, many mentioned on this thread. It's worth exploring further to see. No amount of further exploration is going to definitively determine the cause of the difference, but it may shed more light on it.

There may be other explanations. The ACGME data is not actually on residents whom were terminated / fired. We simply report to the ACGME residents who left training before completion. It's possible that Black residents choose to change specialties of their own volition more than while residents. Although I doubt this is the explanation (mainly because of my own experience), I realize that my experience is too small to see a population difference like this. Perhaps because Black residents have less mentors / role models, as they progress with training and get exposed to more people they see a different career pathway more frequently.

In the end, I worry that the actual cause is as above -- that minority residents when placed in a remediation plan may end up in a "death spiral" more frequently than white residents. There are all sorts of reasons this may be -- less mentors / someone willing to take them under their wing, they may on average be of lower socioeconomic means which might impact their ability to perform (i.e. may have increased distractions outside of work), or implicit bias in those in leadership positions. Someone gave @VA Hopeful Dr an extra chance. The decision to do so is very subjective, and our inherent implicit biases may impact these types of decisions. Realizing this may help fix the problem -- programs asking themselves "why is this resident struggling?", and trying to assess resident performance as a group which helps mitigate against biases.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Interestingly, in #2, you state that you "highly doubt" systemic racism is at play.
#3-#5 are what I would consider "systemic racism". As mentioned earlier in this thread, this is a common point of disagreement. Systemic racism, by most definitions, does not mean "lots of people are racist in the system". It means that despite well meaning people in the system, the rules / processes / culture of the system impacts minorities in a negative way. Black residents having a lack of good mentors is a classic example of systemic racism.
I do not think anyone doubts that there are instances of racism against blacks, whites, asians, etc. But I will stand by my opinion that currently, racism is less than it has been in our lifetime. Will we ever get to zero racism across the board, of course not.

#3-5 is just the straw that a person drew/life is not fair, but in no way would I consider this systemic racism. You can put an Asian into #3-5 easily, and I know many who grew up dirt poor, uneducated 1st gen parents working min salary jobs, and had more black/Hispanic classmates than their own race. These are just life's hurdles rather than systemic racism.

However, the MCAT is designed to predict how well people will do in medical school. It's certainly not perfect, some would argue it doesn't work well at all. Just because one group of people have a lower MCAT score than another doesn't necessarily mean that they will inherently do worse in medical school -- although it's also quite possible that they will. Even with this difference, I personally doubt this is the main driver of the difference we see. I realize I have no data to support this -- it's simply my opinion and it's no better than your opinion. My experience has been that USMLE score is a poor predictor of resident quality.
If you consider the USMLEs a poor predictor of resident quality, ortho, radiology, plastics, dermatology, and neurosurgery program directors are functioning with different assumptions and experiences. Not to mention that most upper tier residencies for IM, OBGYN etc definitely have Step 1 cut offs to even allow interviews that are often in the 230+ range. The thought that a higher Step 1 score translates to a likely stronger resident is not a radical idea.

"Objective Measures Needed - Program Directors' Perspectives on a Pass/Fail USMLE Step 1"

Most PDs from the survey disagree with changing Step 1 to P/F or are neutral on it. They definitely feel it offers some way to gauge how good a resident is. Is it a perfect measure? No, nothing is. But it is fair and straightforward.

Conveniently, one of these has been done: Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma when jumping from aircraft: randomized controlled trial

Spoiler alert: it demonstrated no improved survival of wearing a parachute and jumping from a plane.
It's just a tongue in cheek study by some bored researchers. Really doesn't dispute my point.

Agreed on both points. I would like to the the exam metric data for the ACGME data. And it's quite possible that some of the difference we are seeing is that residents of all races get into remediation trouble at equal rates (no way to know this), but end up with a difference in terminations due to the issues you mention. Many would call that "systemic racism" - no one is trying to be racist, but the system is stacked against minorities.

All minorities aren't complaining of systemic racism. The article quoted initially is arguing that Black residents are unfairly targeted for dismissal but somehow East Asian, South Asian, and Middle Eastern minorities all happen to escape this. Somehow, the racism seems to escape my people.

I'm going to agree that firing a resident, although not easy, also isn't all that impossible. Once a resident is placed under closer scrutiny (which is often required due to patient safety concerns), addiitional errors and problems are almost certain to be found. This would be true of anyone. Programs that want to get rid of residents can compile these reports and work with HR towards termination. The due process of GME is almost always a review of the "process" -- did you give the resident an adequate warning and chance to improve. It's very difficult for the GME office or other PD's (whom are usually called upon to staff any appeal / grievance process) to assess clinical skills. If the surgery PD says the resident is a klutz in the OR, and they have examples, there is no way for me to assess the validity of that.

Firing a resident isn't supposed to be impossible. But it isn't a situation where a PD can fire someone on a whim. There are set procedures that need to be followed.

The issue is why would a program go out of its way to fire its own resident? Can racism be a reason? Sure, but I think that reason is highly overstated because there is a domino effect of this: rotation scheduling/call coverage, board passage rates etc. I typically feel programs fire residents when they don't think they can become board certified/competent/safe physicians in their field of training and my personal experience has shown this to be true. I know anecdotes don't equal data but having been in practice for a few years, sometimes experience is a reasonable surrogate to guide decision making.

The lay article in question claims the resident was fired from her ENT residency program for being Black by her new PD. The program in question only has 3 residents per year and other minorities as well. There are 2 possibilities in my eyes: the new PD is racist only against Black residents and decided to get her fired or she wasn't as good as she thought she was and they didn't think they could graduate her to be a competent ENT. I happen to think the latter is more accurate just based on what is most likely.

The decision to do so is very subjective, and our inherent implicit biases may impact these types of decisions. Realizing this may help fix the problem -- programs asking themselves "why is this resident struggling?", and trying to assess resident performance as a group which helps mitigate against biases.

In a perfect world, each program would do everything in its power to help each resident graduate. Reality unfortunately tells us that some residents are just going to flame out. Is it the obligation of the program to graduate each and every resident? Realistically no. Some just won't be able to practice safely or competently in a chosen field.

The ENT resident who was fired apparently did occupational medicine. She may be excellent in her new field but just was never going to be a competent ENT. Or if she could be a competent ENT, it would be above and beyond what the program wanted to invest in her training so they decided to cut their losses. We won't know the truth at this point because the story she gives is that she was a budding superstar resident who was cut down by a racist PD.

Not every first round NFL/NBA draft pick goes on to be a starter. No one seems to ask why teams didn't do more for Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russel.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ACGME can easily look at this on a more granular level than my pontificating. They have years of data and immense resources to do so.

This was my initial reaction, TBH. However, on the same day that the OP posted this, the following article was circulated by a very well-respected Black faculty member at my institution:

No, I've never heard of statnews either, but they cite some solid peer-reviewed publications. It's difficult to come away any conclusion other than graduate medical education, on the national level, does have a race problem. Of course nobody ever thinks it is a problem at their own institution, but I think this is something we need to be cognizant of and vigilant to ensure that we are, in fact, affording the same opportunities to all trainees. Being aware there is a problem in the first place and acknowledging that it exists is the first step to fixing the problem. And we all should strive to do better.

Based on the data this article cites, Hispanic residents are dismissed at a rate that is roughly proportional to their representation in residency training. Indeed, in 2016, Black residents were around 3 times more likely to be dismissed than their Hispanic counterparts. Are residency directors just really selective when it comes to which groups they despise?

On the flip side, Hispanics are URMs and also have lower test performance relative to their non-URM peers. If academic underperformance were the biggest factor that contributes to dismissal of Black residents, I'd imagine Hispanics would be dismissed at similar rates.

To be honest, though, I don't know if we should put a lot of weight on this data or view it as evidence of a widespread racial problem. A vast majority of residents successfully finish their training, regardless of race. For every Black resident who gets canned, there are at least 100 who graduate. If we're going to talk about residents being fired, we need to acknowledge that we're talking about extreme outliers.

If you consider the USMLEs a poor predictor of resident quality, ortho, radiology, plastics, dermatology, and neurosurgery program directors are functioning with different assumptions and experiences. Not to mention that most upper tier residencies for IM, OBGYN etc definitely have Step 1 cut offs to even allow interviews that are often in the 230+ range. The thought that a higher Step 1 score translates to a likely stronger resident is not a radical idea.

"Objective Measures Needed - Program Directors' Perspectives on a Pass/Fail USMLE Step 1"

Most PDs from the survey disagree with changing Step 1 to P/F or are neutral on it. They definitely feel it offers some way to gauge how good a resident is. Is it a perfect measure? No, nothing is. But it is fair and straightforward.

I think you're hitting on a correct point but disagree with your interpretation.

Over all, Step 1 scores were a marker for attitude/effort. No one questions the concept, but the significance. That just says higher scorers have a higher chance of surviving residency, passing the boards and becoming board certified. I agree it doesn't reflect the underlying clinical competence very much at all. Worked with a lot of high scoring people in rads that had very little aptitude for radiology.

Past a certain point I didn't find much use in step 1 scores. In most competitive specialties if you are in the ball park range, you will do perfectly fine. The cut-offs are often just that, an arbitrary cut off to wean down the pool because there aren't resources to interview every candidate.

The real value is on the low end. Specialties run the numbers and know what low end scores will translate to failure. I once sat in on a neurology program review. The program was struggling, with almost a 50% board failure rate. They cited 215 as a cut off that if you were below it you had a 50% chance of failing boards. Anecdotally in rads that number was 220-225ish.

Based on the data this article cites, Hispanic residents are dismissed at a rate that is roughly proportional to their representation in residency training. Indeed, in 2016, Black residents were around 3 times more likely to be dismissed than their Hispanic counterparts. Are residency directors just really selective when it comes to which groups they despise?

On the flip side, Hispanics are URMs and also have lower test performance relative to their non-URM peers. If academic underperformance were the biggest factor that contributes to dismissal of Black residents, I'd imagine Hispanics would be dismissed at similar rates.

To be honest, though, I don't know if we should put a lot of weight on this data or view it as evidence of a widespread racial problem. A vast majority of residents successfully finish their training, regardless of race. For every Black resident who gets canned, there are at least 100 who graduate. If we're going to talk about residents being fired, we need to acknowledge that we're talking about extreme outliers.
I don’t know why the data about Hispanic and Black residents diverge. I would not use that singular data point as evidence that there is not a racial problem within residency programs.

I have a hard time buying your point about test performance, because when you’re talking about surgical sub specialties you’re talking about a group of residents who all scored high (at least 230+) even on the low end of the bell curve. While I could imagine they could underperform compared to their peers it seems implausible that such a high percentage would get outright failed out of residency, when failing out of residency as you say is a rare event.

And just because failing out of residency is a rare event doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to explore disparities because it is a profoundly career and life-altering event to the people that it does affect. Furthermore, it is plausible that disparities in dismissal could also bely less severe disparities in residency treatment.

I’m not sure why it is so difficult to acknowledge that there are disparities in outcomes for residents who are of racial and ethnic minorities. As I and others have said, this doesn’t mean we have to castigate anyone as being “racist”. It doesn’t mean someone is being consciously malicious. I’m not even saying that we shouldn’t dismiss residents who are not performing appropriately if they happen to be of a racial or ethnic minority. What I AM saying is that all of us who participate in training fellows, residents and students should consider the possibility of implicit biases affecting our evaluations. We should examine whether we are treating our trainees equally, both in concrete cases such as disciplinary action and giving the benefit of the doubt, and in more nebulous cases such as assignment of patient difficulty/inclusion in academic opportunities/mentorship/etc. If we are actively trying to be cognizant of these issues and disparities persist, then I think a further consideration should be how do we identify trainees who may be “at risk” earlier and help them before they are at the point of dismissal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

It's a metric. PD's use it simply because it's there, and when you're a Derm program taking 2 people per year and get 400 applications, you need something to winnow the pool. Whether it's "fair" or not is exactly what we're discussing.

It's just a tongue in cheek study by some bored researchers. Really doesn't dispute my point.
I realize it's a silly study. It's in the BMJ Christmas issue, which is full of studies like this. But the point of it (which perhaps I should have been more clear) is that you need to make sure you're asking the right question. You seem to dismiss any suggestion that race plays a role as obvious. I don't think it's so obvious
All minorities aren't complaining of systemic racism. The article quoted initially is arguing that Black residents are unfairly targeted for dismissal but somehow East Asian, South Asian, and Middle Eastern minorities all happen to escape this. Somehow, the racism seems to escape my people.
Maybe it does? I don't know. But it's possible.
Firing a resident isn't supposed to be impossible. But it isn't a situation where a PD can fire someone on a whim. There are set procedures that need to be followed.

The issue is why would a program go out of its way to fire its own resident? Can racism be a reason? Sure, but I think that reason is highly overstated because there is a domino effect of this: rotation scheduling/call coverage, board passage rates etc. I typically feel programs fire residents when they don't think they can become board certified/competent/safe physicians in their field of training and my personal experience has shown this to be true. I know anecdotes don't equal data but having been in practice for a few years, sometimes experience is a reasonable surrogate to guide decision making.

The lay article in question claims the resident was fired from her ENT residency program for being Black by her new PD. The program in question only has 3 residents per year and other minorities as well. There are 2 possibilities in my eyes: the new PD is racist only against Black residents and decided to get her fired or she wasn't as good as she thought she was and they didn't think they could graduate her to be a competent ENT. I happen to think the latter is more accurate just based on what is most likely.
Looking at individual cases is difficult. Perhaps this resident was terrible. Perhaps she was a fine surgeon / physician but just rubbed people the wrong way enough to get fired. Residents whom "deserve" to be fired often blame external factors. Hence why it's so difficult to assess this situation -- the outcome is rare and the details are often not publicly available.
In a perfect world, each program would do everything in its power to help each resident graduate. Reality unfortunately tells us that some residents are just going to flame out. Is it the obligation of the program to graduate each and every resident? Realistically no. Some just won't be able to practice safely or competently in a chosen field.

The ENT resident who was fired apparently did occupational medicine. She may be excellent in her new field but just was never going to be a competent ENT. Or if she could be a competent ENT, it would be above and beyond what the program wanted to invest in her training so they decided to cut their losses. We won't know the truth at this point because the story she gives is that she was a budding superstar resident who was cut down by a racist PD.

Not every first round NFL/NBA draft pick goes on to be a starter. No one seems to ask why teams didn't do more for Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russel.
Agree with the first paragraph. Hard to say whether she was ever going to be competent.
The ACGME can easily look at this on a more granular level than my pontificating. They have years of data and immense resources to do so.
Totally agree

• Love
EA, SA and ME minorities usually easily defer to their leadership so they're less "susceptible" to racism. And if it does happen they usually won't complain to not rock the boat.

• Dislike
EA, SA and ME minorities usually easily defer to their leadership so they're less "susceptible" to racism. And if it does happen they usually won't complain to not rock the boat.
Historically it really is only one race that has been the target of discrimination and racism in a large scale in this country so I am not surprised that the other minority groups are less "susceptible" to racism.

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Historically it really is only one race that has been the target of discrimination and racism in a large scale in this country so I am not surprised that the other minority groups are less "susceptible" to racism.
Um… the Bracero program? Trail of tears? Internment camps?

The point about other races and ethnicities seemingly not getting disproportionately failed out of residency is valid and probably deserves some thought. I would not use that as evidence of a lack of systemic racism within medical residencies, though. I suspect the answer is the implicit biases manifest in different ways for members of different races and ethnicities, though obviously I’m just speculating without studying this more closely.

• Love
I take it that in your bubble you've never heard of the Chinese Exclusion Act, or if the internment of the Japanese during WWII, or of the fact that women couldn't vote until 1920?

Why is racism tolerated in some or not all of residency programs in this country? I have heard of stories where a resident is either terminated or extended just because an attending is racist. Why is this tolerated in any residency?
Unfortunately racism in medicine happens not infrequently. As a woman and a Hispanic woman I've experienced it plenty. It is typically veiled as "resident doesn't do this or that" when in reality issues are race based - same thing that a white resident does is not tolerated for a non white person. On eof the big issues is how subjective residency evals are - I remember when I was a resident I got in trouble for supposedly not washing/sanitizing my hands all the time - which wasn't the case as I did likely more than most of my residents. When the mentor talked to me about this ding on my eval, I said- well all these people (both residents and attendings) are not doing it, he kinda smirked. This is a menial example but happens all the time unfortunately and I think the biggest contributor is that the subjective evals prevail as a grading system.
The healthcare system is racist and sexist in general - patients unfortunately are no different. They assume men are the physicians, and women are nurses - particularly the old ones.

Do you actually think it is that hard to justify getting rid of a resident? Why do you think everyone is scared ****less about saying anything against their program? Because they know how subjective these things are and irregardless of how great a person is, it can ALWAYS be justified easily. All you need is a couple of people on board, a couple of staff complaints which we all have, and voila..
It's very easy to justify getting rid of a resident - becasue everything is subjective and legally speaking there are no rules that protect residents. a PD or malignant attending can make up whatever (oh this resident's clinical judgment wasn't good, their notes weren't thorough enough, they weren't "professional", etc - how do you really work against that)? It's very easy to do. They can go through the motions but once a program wants you out you are out

It's very easy to justify getting rid of a resident -
That was my point. All they have to say is youre not professional in your interactions we are concerned about the safety of this resident. It's a joke. Having said that and knowing all this as a resident your job is to attempt to win an academy award on how good of an actor you are.

• Okay...
It's very easy to justify getting rid of a resident - becasue everything is subjective and legally speaking there are no rules that protect residents. a PD or malignant attending can make up whatever (oh this resident's clinical judgment wasn't good, their notes weren't thorough enough, they weren't "professional", etc - how do you really work against that)? It's very easy to do. They can go through the motions but once a program wants you out you are out
So would you suggest grading them on something… objective… such as… exam scores?

I feel like this thread is about to come full circle.

Reactions: 2 users
That was my point. All they have to say is youre not professional in your interactions we are concerned about the safety of this resident. It's a joke. Having said that and knowing all this as a resident your job is to attempt to win an academy award on how good of an actor you are.
Pretty much. Or my "favorite" - "resident is not excited about rotation." I actually asked once - am I supposed to be excited about all my rotations, even if I'm clinically good, efficient, have excellent knowledge, good outcomes and know what I'm doing? My excitement level was never brought up again lol :)

So would you suggest grading them on something… objective… such as… exam scores?

I feel like this thread is about to come full circle.
I don't think there is an easy answer. my point is simply that as a resident evals are very subjective - and it's very very easy to get rid of a resident that is not liked, regardless of how good or bad they truly are.

I don't think there is an easy answer. my point is simply that as a resident evals are very subjective - and it's very very easy to get rid of a resident that is not liked, regardless of how good or bad they truly are.

All jobs have subjective evaluations. This is seen in every field.

Unless you're in solo practice, you will still be evaluated subjectively by others who theoretically could be racist.

I work at a FQHC and the site director (a physician) and the Women's health director periodically review me and the other physicians based on subjective measures.

All jobs have subjective evaluations. This is seen in every field.

Unless you're in solo practice, you will still be evaluated subjectively by others who theoretically could be racist.

I work at a FQHC and the site director (a physician) and the Women's health director periodically review me and the other physicians based on subjective measures.

Yes, but it's as a resident you have no power and with "attending" type evals, unless someone is doing something really egregious, they are a formality. Good luck trying to fire someone for no cause not to mention all the legal processes in place to ensure that any negative action has countless legal loops employers have to go through. apples and oranges

I trained in what I considered a pretty dysfunctional program in the setting of worse institutional dysfunction and we had a hell of a time trying to fire a few residents who no one had any qualms about letting go.

On an individual basis, yes someone can get railroaded out of residency. I'd agree with the possibility. But even if railroading is occurring, there's gonna be some checks and balances on the process. It's not nearly as simple as "i don't like that person, they're gone". Doesn't matter if you're super full professor, PD or even chair. There's still other attendings, the clinical competency committee, and the GME.

From a program/institution perspective, if one malignant person is repeatedly railroading residents out of the program then that person is gonna get their own talking to and be removed from their position of power.

Sounds like people are losing sight of the fact that if someone is fired, it was probably among the consensus of A LOT of people.

Last edited:
  • Love
Yes, but it's as a resident you have no power and with "attending" type evals, unless someone is doing something really egregious, they are a formality. Good luck trying to fire someone for no cause not to mention all the legal processes in place to ensure that any negative action has countless legal loops employers have to go through. apples and oranges
Uh what? Almost all attending physician jobs you can be fired for no cause. There's just a period between saying you're fired and when you actually have to leave and stop working.

My employer can tell me tomorrow for absolutely no reason whatsoever that my contract was terminated, I would just have to stick around for 3 months.

Uh what? Almost all attending physician jobs you can be fired for no cause. There's just a period between saying you're fired and when you actually have to leave and stop working.

My employer can tell me tomorrow for absolutely no reason whatsoever that my contract was terminated, I would just have to stick around for 3 months.

That hasn't been my experience but ok. plenty of legalities re: firing especially if you have a contract. I have a contract that states what I can be "fired" for. They just can't tell me hey you are gone, see you later. If you feel residency evals are super fair that's your choice. I don't think they typically are. I see much more reasonableness as an attending.

yes but they cant hurt you as much. Who gives a **** what they say about you at that point as long as there is no Malpractice issues

I

Sounds like people are losing sight of the fact that if someone is fired, it was probably among the consensus of A LOT of people.
And you seem to think there are not like minded people in medicine. They will get rid of you if you come in with a Trump Ultra Maga Hat

That hasn't been my experience but ok. plenty of legalities re: firing especially if you have a contract. I have a contract that states what I can be "fired" for. They just can't tell me hey you are gone, see you later. If you feel residency evals are super fair that's your choice. I don't think they typically are. I see much more reasonableness as an attending.

My contract does have a "no cause" loophole stating I can be fired whenever. However, in my case, that would nullify my noncompete and I believe they have to pay me out 90 days even if they want me out sooner than that. My employer walks you out same-day if you are fired. Otherwise I have reasons listed in my contract that are fireable and the caveats that go with each.