Racism in ireland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duskboa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new member and found this site really educating, i am interested in irish medical schools and have some questions for those already there. is there racism in ireland? i am black and this is really important to me as i had problems with the law in spain my (adopted county) for having beaten up some racists....i am 2.2m tall, my weight is 120Kgs, very well-built, i am bad-tempered......

I studied in an international school here which teaches in english and have no problems with funds but my real concern is being expelled, or jailed for harming people....your suggestions are very welcome

Members don't see this ad.

Duskboa said:
I am a new member and found this site really educating, i am interested in irish medical schools and have some questions for those already there. is there racism in ireland? i am black and this is really important to me as i had problems with the law in spain my (adopted county) for having beaten up some racists....i am 2.2m tall, my weight is 120Kgs, very well-built, i am bad-tempered......

I studied in an international school here which teaches in english and have no problems with funds but my real concern is being expelled, or jailed for harming people....your suggestions are very welcome

Sadly there is racism in Ireland, but let's be honest, where isn't there racism? I'm Irish and I've been called a 'fenian bastard' since coming to Glasgow. Black people got an awful lot of bad press in the papers over the past few years due to the flood of Nigerian refugees into the country who were abusing the system, so Irish people aren't as tolerant as they used to be. It's hard to know whether it's got worse since I was young, when there were very few foreigners in the country, or whether its simply because there are more foreigners in the country now. Despite what the politicians might say, I think its probably worse.

Ireland isn't too bad though by international standards though - we've never had race riots like the UK has. It won't be as bad as Spain either I'd say. I don't know much about racism in Spain except for the way the Spanish 'fans' make monkey noises at black players during some football games... It's not fair to judge a society on an incidents like this, but you can't help wonder if this is some reflection of the society there as a whole... :(

Look, wherever you go you're going to meet small-minded bigots that are going to make fun of you and call you names. I shouldn't have to say this as it's obvious, but you can't let these people get under your skin, otherwise they win. Why should you care what they think? They're just yobs that have probably dropped out of school and have no prospects in life, while you've the world at your feet. You hit one of them and it feels good for a few minutes I'm sure, but it isn't worth the long term consequences. The only real danger is by yourself late at night maybe, and even then I don't think it'll happen to you a lot. Hang around with a group of people once you get to Ireland and you shouldn't have any problems though.

If someone does call you a name, and you injure them and they report you, you WILL be charged with assault. It doesn't matter that they were provoking you, AFAIK you'll still come out much worse from it when the courts are finished with you. This doesn't apply just to Ireland, but anywhere in the world. You are just going to have to learn to control your temper - and believe me, you don't need to learn to control your temper just to deal with racists. Considering some of the people you will have to deal with in medicine; patients, your colleagues etc. if you can't control your temper, you're going into the wrong line of work!

Hey

Well said Dr S.

Bottom line is that if you do not get yourself into anger management and prove you can change you own anger issues no medical school is going to take you. Jail time is the sortof thing they want you to be upfront about, if your not and they find out later they will certainly have ground to expel you.

Secondly, your talking about entering a profession where you will deal with diverse people. Hell, im a cracker and often get racial slurs directed at me when taking care of a black or hispanic gang member in the ER or Trauma room (or in the helicopter). The reality is you just have to smile and say "that wasent very nice" or you WILL lose your job. So if you cannot control that anger, youll have a rocky road in health care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Duskboa said:

If you are worried about whether you will be jailed for harming people and not worried that you will harm people I would suggest getting help and not becoming a doctor.

You admit to being bad tempered and that your real concern is not that or that you might beat somebody up for some racist remarks, but you might be expelled.

Medicine does not need impulsive and aggressive bullies. It's time to grow up. If someone calls you a name, and you attack them, I hope to christ you end up in jail. Grow up.

Yes, in Ireland the police arrest and convict people for assault. No, it is not a racist policy to arrest criminals. It's called civilisation.

john182 said:
If you are worried about whether you will be jailed for harming people and not worried that you will harm people I would suggest getting help and not becoming a doctor.

You admit to being bad tempered and that your real concern is not that or that you might beat somebody up for some racist remarks, but you might be expelled.

Medicine does not need impulsive and aggressive bullies. It's time to grow up. If someone calls you a name, and you attack them, I hope to christ you end up in jail. Grow up.

Yes, in Ireland the police arrest and convict people for assault. No, it is not a racist policy to arrest criminals. It's called civilisation.

I think the two acts of harming and getting jailed aren't mutually exclusive, and as you clearly missed the point i wouldn't have worried about racism if i wasn't concerned about 'me' and 'others'. I will not dwell on this though,however, you must be sympathetic to those nerds as you clearly defend them.....and may i say this, don't you talk for the medical profession! godamn it.

Whether i can make a good doctor or not isn't what i asked about and i don't like people getting too far telling me about their background and everything,above all, my question was really very restricted on racism in ireland.

Criminals and the police? don't you reread my post gentleman? i never said a word about them, i think you are one of those semi-sleepy people who think every black person is a gangster,acting upon the facts in hand, you are the one who clearly needs to GROW UP. and one more thing, i kick the butts of your narrow-minded lot.

To dr strangelove and mike

Thanks for your educating posts, i really go through some bad experiences when i travell around europe, my problem is, i am too conspicuous.....very talk and heavy.......i don't really get angry about everything or words somebody utters, but incidents like one in a supermarket where i was buying some food, a woman had a 5yrs old kid, and upon seeing me she told the kid in spanish, mom i am gonna buy u a doll like this size (she means me) i was standing and i thought ow she thought i was static i smiled and moved and she repeated the same thing even when she saw me moving......... i was furious, i lost control........i had to serve six months jail term but thanks to my father, he is a senior UN diplomat, i was vindicated......i dont want to see such people in my life. thanks for all your input.

Duskboa, I'd be more inclined not to resort to violence, no matter how angry you get... a sharp tongue can be much more damaging and eye-opening than your fist. I understand losing your temper and control, but if you thought of something witty to say, you'd not only have vindicated yourself, you'd have shown up the mother in front of her own kid and anyone else who was listening in. Not to mention that you hit a woman - regardless of who was right and what was said, it makes you look like a woman-beating monster. You will have to deal with "mean" consultants - I know one who insinuated that a muslim girl in our class rotating with him at the time just had to be part of Al Qaeda and kept making Taliban quips, much to the horror of everyone else. If I ever got assigned to him, I'd have a hard time keeping my tongue in check...but a tongue is better than a fist.

Regarding Ireland, I think some Africans here may feel out of place, and part of that may be a language barrier. I'm Asian-American and haven't noticed any overt racism towards myself or others, but it could be a little different for the black population. I was talking to some black nurses/doctors (in the work place, everyone's treated just fine - equally and with respect) and they thought Dublin was unsafe - well, pockets of it anyway. But they agreed with me that every major city has pockets where you wouldn't go by yourself at night and things like that.

I think with me, some people are taken by surprise that I speak unaccented English and can communicate well - but it's so much better now than it was in 2000 when people automatically assumed I couldn't speak English. They also used to be surprised that my friends are mostly white and my best friends are Irish, because they assumed that since I was asian, I'd be hanging around mostly other asians. They just assume that because I look Asian, I have to be from China. But you have to remember that for Ireland (and indeed most European countries) , having so many "foreigners" move into their country in such a short time span is really a new concept for them, and it does take time for them to adjust. I think they're doing well, once educated properly. There is no place as integrated as the US, where we all grow up as Americans with our heritage being a secondary influence - this hasn't happened anywhere else to the same degree yet. Once they see you communicating and being friends with the Irish/rest of your class, they'll understand that you're here for a good purpose and will respect that.

Another touching story about beating up a woman in a grocery store in front of her children.

Don't you just see you're just a keeping the sterotype going? They call you a monster and then you act like one. It would be much better in the long run for everyone if you could learn to turn the other cheek.

Ireland is racist. And homophobic. And xenophobic to some extent. Not everyone, but some. You'll always be foreign there even if you're pasty white. Does that mean they'll treat you bad? No. But you might have to work to be accepted in some cliques. All it takes is time man. And that you be a good person. No matter where you go, there will always be people who welcome you with open arms and those that are more cold.

Will you have trouble because you're black? I'll be honest, you might have some rough spots from time to time. Will they not like you if you're not a good person? Doesn't matter what skin colour you are - you won't be accepted. My advice is to not come to Ireland. I don't think you'd enjoy it here.

Duskboa said:
i was furious, i lost control........

A woman and kid, though. Damn. :(

I thought you had been made fun of by a gang of Spanish teenagers, or something like that - some people that while not being your own size, wouldn't have been defenseless. Best not to jump to conclusions though; I'd like to wait and hear what you meant by 'losing control'. I hope it isn't what I think it is... Please tell me you just shouted at her, although I doubt they give jail sentences for that.

If I didn't know any better I'd say your posts were tongue-in-cheek.

Otherwise, I'm very, very scared.

You DO realise how incredibly creepy you sound?

You'll always be foreign there even if you're pasty white.

This is soooo true. I know of a case where a woman from Northern Ireland, an Irish woman, was told by a southerner that she "should go back where she came from and stop taking jobs from Irish people". Folks, if you're a foreigner if you're from Northern Ireland, then there's no chance that we will not be regarded as foreigners :( Or maybe :laugh: would be more appropriate - what else can you do really? That being said, most people cope, and in the university and hospital setting it is usually not a huge problem (although being white I probably don't see the worst of it).
Nowhere is perfect.

Kaptain Krunch said:
If I didn't know any better I'd say your posts were tongue-in-cheek.

Otherwise, I'm very, very scared.

You DO realise how incredibly creepy you sound?

If someone sounds creepy(annoying) to me, i wouldn't waste my energy in replying to his thread.

Med2ucc,sage880,dr strangelove and leorl thanks for your insightful posts. I was giving an example of how unbelievable acts of racism can be perpetuated in a country that boasts of hundreds of years of civilisation, i used to think too much of those people some years back, i think i was naive at the time, i wanted to know what was going on in those pple's minds, i mean, it is crazy when someone approaches you in Rome (a big city) and tells you, may i touch you, and do you have blood in your bodies and how does it look like...these are my experiences firsthand not somebody's. The woman is a good family friend now, she has really changed, i don't know what i did to her myself, because i really can't remember anything when i get RED but the police said it was a blow but thanks to God there were no serious medical implications, she fell down and was taken to the hospital and discharged the same day.
I usually go back to Africa where i have my close and distant relatives and things i can't understand constitute why should 'they' treat us like monkeys while they are treated like kings in our homeland, 'they' are handled like eggs in africa.

I don't think i will take the risk of going to ireland, i might try south africa, that is the only place i can get sound education with no prejudice, anyways, thank you very much for your time and input, i really appreciate it, as it made me make a U-turn.

Duskboa said:
If someone sounds creepy(annoying) to me, i wouldn't waste my energy in replying to his thread.

Med2ucc,sage880,dr strangelove and leorl thanks for your insightful posts. I was giving an example of how unbelievable acts of racism can be perpetuated in a country that boasts of hundreds of years of civilisation, i used to think too much of those people some years back, i think i was naive at the time, i wanted to know what was going on in those pple's minds, i mean, it is crazy when someone approaches you in Rome (a big city) and tells you, may i touch you, and do you have blood in your bodies and how does it look like...these are my experiences firsthand not somebody's. The woman is a good family friend now, she has really changed, i don't know what i did to her myself, because i really can't remember anything when i get RED but the police said it was a blow but thanks to God there were no serious medical implications, she fell down and was taken to the hospital and discharged the same day.
I usually go back to Africa where i have my close and distant relatives and things i can't understand constitute why should 'they' treat us like monkeys while they are treated like kings in our homeland, 'they' are handled like eggs in africa.

I don't think i will take the risk of going to ireland, i might try south africa, that is the only place i can get sound education with no prejudice, anyways, thank you very much for your time and input, i really appreciate it, as it made me make a U-turn.

Well, if you can't remember anything, it certainly sounds like you really did lose control. You were most certainly the bad guy in that situation. What happens if next time you 'lose control' someone's lying on the floor and there's a lot of blood around? In reality nobody should have to stand for racism but it happens and you just have develop a thick skin and ignore these people. I don't know if you realize it yourself already, in which case I hope I'm making a good case, but you need help. Go and talk to someone you trust about how you feel, not necessarily a healthcare professional but someone who's advice you value. Until you've learned to manage your anger I would strongly advise you against becoming a doctor.

If you do learn to cope, don't dismiss Ireland, or any other country for that matter, as you're just limiting yourself. If you truly want to be a doctor, you must be prepared to make sacrifices when it comes. Look around these boards and you'll read about people who have travelled to the far ends of the earth to pursue their dream; some of them have no doubt suffered greater hardships than you in this quest. The only thing that should stop you from applying to Ireland is your academic record, not the colour of your skin. If you're an EU citizen now unless you're in the 99th percentile you won't have a hope in hell of getting in.

I am an Irish doctor. You, clearly, are deeply disturbed. There is no place for you in Ireland or in the medical profession. Don't blame so called "racists" for your obvious problems with violence and anger control. Anyone with sense can see straight through you.

...because it is strangely, hilariously disturbing! JEEZ! this guy needs to learn the definition of racism first, from his story there I don't see at what point the woman said anything racist, she was only pointing to his size!

Anyways, was weirdly pleasant to read some of the responses!:D