• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

Racism in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When one looks at the word racism you generally think about people having prejudice of one another simply due to differences in appearance and skin colour. Culture can also play a big role in racism, even people of different European origins discriminate or have certain prejudiced ideas about each other. Having grown up in post-apartheid South Africa it has been my experience that the term racism has become something of a taboo. In order to be politically correct you avoid any mention of race or culture in both directions, as much as humanly possible and it's often to a laughable degree. This is particularly evident in the older generation who experienced apartheid. I find that us youngsters who can't remember it are far more celebratory in terms of ethnic and cultural differences. It's cool.., :D

Anyway, I know that MANY MANY South Africans have migrated to Oz and I was wondering if the Australians showed resentment towards them, or viewed them as they view Asian migrants or just tolerated them or accepeted them or...?

Just wondering. I think they could probably start a South African colony in Perth by now.

Regards
Mae;)

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed since I moved here that a lot of Asian women date white Australian men, and a lot of white Australian women like to date Pacific Islanders and African American men. Rarely though do I see a white Australian woman with an Asian men, the stereotype is that Asian men are effeminate. I am African American and I find it ridiculously easy to hook up with white Australian women, also with European women residing here. I have dated Italian, Scandinavian, German, and Spanish women here. My sex life has been excellent despite being a povo medical student.