/r/MCAT just got banned and cannot be accessed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sniksnek

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure what sparked this, but it seems like we can't access the subreddit at the moment.

upload_2018-8-10_18-45-15.png

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what sparked this, but it seems like we can't access the subreddit at the moment.

View attachment 238619

That is odd. I was reading the MCAT reaction thread and got the "banned" window after i backed out. Wonder if the MCAT gods complained to reddit. But i thought the moderator said only those who revealed specific questions would be banned, not the whole group.

I don't know what I'd do without this subreddit. It is insanely helpful for aamc explanations and study advice. I'm actually upset right now.

Reactions: 1 users
I just checked the reddit too, it seems like the website is banned. omg...where can we ask questions on the practice???? it was so helpful and my test in in a week. AAHHHH. I hope they will reactivate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out that the questions are still cached in google. So you can search a question, say AAMC FL 1 CP 2, and you can click the green arrow and view the cached page. All hope is not lost!

Is it permanently banned?! Wth, whyyy. I recently discovered reddit and it was helpful in so many ways :(

Idiots kept posting screenshots of AAMC material.

Turns out it was UWorld material. I don't think I would call them idiots either, I don't think there were any explicit subreddit rules about posting them and asking for help

Turns out it was UWorld material. I don't think I would call them idiots either, I don't think there were any explicit subreddit rules about posting them and asking for help

How do you know it was because of this? Do you know if they're going to put the subreddit back up later?

A sad day indeed...

As someone who self-studied, /r/MCAT and SDN were invaluable to me. Hopefully a solution can be made that doesn’t involve deleting all the information on the subreddit.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know it was because of this? Do you know if they're going to put the subreddit back up later?

I'm learning all this from the subreddit discord chat. One of the mods put up a screenshot with the takedown message from Reddit.

I think it's likely the subreddit will be restored - we have great moderators that have already addressed it. It's likely in the future there are going to be stricter rules about posting UWorld and AAMC questions though

Reactions: 1 users
I'm learning all this from the subreddit discord chat. One of the mods put up a screenshot with the takedown message from Reddit.

I think it's likely the subreddit will be restored - we have great moderators that have already addressed it. It's likely in the future there are going to be stricter rules about posting UWorld and AAMC questions though

Can you please link the chat? I'd love to follow up on it as well. And I hope so! there is so much valuable info on there

reddit used to be the place you would go to discuss and share the infomation "they" said you are not suppose to. If enough people were tech savy enough to do it I'd say we create an underground forum like the Silk road or something lol.

Does anyone know or know anyone who knows whether r/MCAT will be restored with the offending pages/materials deleted?

FWIW, assume that Conde Nast's legal department didn't want to spend the time and money on legal challenges from copyright holders. We've spent a lot of money on lawyers to fight-off inappropriate claims in the past.

Copyright infringement is illegal, which is why we support valid DMCA removal requests. However, remember there are for-profit organizations that will use any method possible to prevent information from being shared freely in any manner; it impacts their bottom-line.

Reactions: 3 users
R/MCAT mod here. As another user mentioned, we’re all busy with med school but we’re working on addressing the issue as soon as possible. Sorry for the impact on your studies!

Reactions: 4 users
Why was the mcat reddit thread deleted? Was it because people were basically writing questions/ answers that were on the mcat?

Because someone posted Uworld screenshots on it...UWorld freaked out b/c of copyright scares and got the entire sub-forum deleted :annoyed: they could have just banned those two posts. No need to destroy the hopes and dreams of 30,000 pre-meds lol :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
They’re blaming Uworld. Check Reddit, they’ll be talking about it more there. Sucks for all the helpful notes there but they’re posting links to find them again.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Because someone posted Uworld screenshots on it...UWorld freaked out b/c of copyright scares and got the entire sub-forum deleted :annoyed: they could have just banned those two posts. No need to destroy the hopes and dreams of 30,000 pre-meds lol :rolleyes:

Do people not do that on the r/medicine sub?

Do people not do that on the r/medicine sub?

I'm not sure, but I think it's more common on the MCAT forum since that's where everyone tends to post screenshots of q's they need help with:shrug:
Either way, I really hope they get the forum back up again. So many valuable resources are on there

Uworld DMCAd 2 post. Reddit of course just deleted the whole sub. The mods should have deleted the post but if course almost all those mods are in medical school. None of them are even premeds so they probably did not see it until it was too late

Why was the mcat reddit thread deleted? Was it because people were basically writing questions/ answers that were on the mcat?

Here is the story:

• Two poor souls create two separate threads about UWorld explanations.
  • The questions were legitimate -- screenshots are attached :nono:.
  • Anon contacted Reddit claiming copyright infringement
  • Reddit Mods threw ban hammer to /r/mcat instead of deleting select content
  • Users.exe moved to /r/premed complaining about the take-down
  • Independent user inquiries led to the possibility of UWorld being the agent behind the take-down
  • Mods and users contacted UWorld
  • UWorld responded back
  • UWorld blamed AAMC claiming AAMC had taken action
  • Smart mods and users contacted AAMC
  • AAMC responded
  • AAMC claimed they have never gone overboard, not now not ever
  • DMCA requests made by AAMC in the past back up the story
  • AAMC vindicated
  • Screenshot of Reddit report log entry shows UWorld alone denounced the subreddit
  • /r/premed riots upon seeing the screenshot
  • UWorld realizes their mistake
  • UWorld claims to be "helping" with the restoration of /r/mcat

Reactions: 5 users
Here is the story:

• Two poor souls create two separate threads about UWorld explanations.
  • The questions were legitimate -- screenshots are attached :nono:.
  • Anon contacted Reddit claiming copyright infringement
  • Reddit Mods threw ban hammer to /r/mcat instead of deleting select content
  • Users.exe moved to /r/premed complaining about the take-down
  • Independent user inquiries led to the possibility of UWorld being the agent behind the take-down
  • Mods and users contacted UWorld
  • UWorld responded back
  • UWorld blamed AAMC claiming AAMC had taken action
  • Smart mods and users contacted AAMC
  • AAMC responded
  • AAMC claimed they have never gone overboard, not now not ever
  • DMCA requests made by AAMC in the past back up the story
  • AAMC vindicated
  • Screenshot of Reddit report log entry shows UWorld alone denounced the subreddit
  • /r/premed riots upon seeing the screenshot
  • UWorld realizes their mistake
  • UWorld claims to be "helping" with the restoration of /r/mcat
Not surprised at the overreaction and then lying from UWorld. I used to write for them. The CEO is way paranoid and the MCAT team is not run by anyone with medical or med school experience. When you log into your free account MCAT, USMLE, anything, we were collecting a scary amount of information about you, your computer, your location. Try to take a screen shot of a UWorld question in the typical way (e.g. using windows snip), watch what happens. SDN collects similar information on you, but not to the extent that UWorld does.

Pretty unethical how they would try to blame the AAMC. I wonder who they talked to. The whole team is quite young and inexperienced.