qustions about Vitamin B12 and LDH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miki511cn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vitamin B12: why it is elevated in CML and Polycythemia Vera?

LDH: why it is elevated in hematology malignancy?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Vitamin B12: why it is elevated in CML and Polycythemia Vera?

LDH: why it is elevated in hematology malignancy?

Thanks a lot!

B12: Who cares? Seriously. I've never even heard of that. Not saying it's not a thing, just that it's irrelevant from a patient care standpoint.

LDH: It isn't always. But when it Is, perhaps you should consider this thing called tumor lysis syndrome. It kills people. Quickly.

B12: Who cares? Seriously. I've never even heard of that. Not saying it's not a thing, just that it's irrelevant from a patient care standpoint.

LDH: It isn't always. But when it Is, perhaps you should consider this thing called tumor lysis syndrome. It kills people. Quickly.

Thanks for answering!

Just want to understand the underlying mechanism. Vitamin B12 elevation seen in liver disease, polycythemia vera and CML. In older days, elevated Vitamin B12 was used to diagnose of polycythemia vera. But just not understand how?

Regarding LDH, agree not always, not it is a prognostic factor in NHK lymphoma and several other hematology malignancy. It is used as indicator for the tumor load and prognosis. The likely explanation will be too many tumor cells and they are lysing, which release the LDH from cells?

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding LDH, agree not always, not it is a prognostic factor in NHK lymphoma and several other hematology malignancy. It is used as indicator for the tumor load and prognosis. The likely explanation will be too many tumor cells and they are lysing, which release the LDH from cells?

Yes.

thanks,
just looked in Williams hematology, likely the elevated VitB12 due to the increased
leukocyte turnover and increased B12 binding protein

In other words, you could have answered the question yourself with minimal work.

I did google the questions and looked into pubmed before I raised them in the forum yesterday. However, I got nothing.
In other words, you could have answered the question yourself with minimal work.

I did google the questions and looked into pubmed before I raised them in the forum yesterday. However, I got nothing. After searching on webs without satisfied answers, I thought it may be an easy question for the attendings or others in the forum. Today, one of the hem/ onc attending referred me the Williams hematology. I just downloaded the e- version and want to share the answers. I am not the type of person to ask somebody here without doing any home work. Maybe these easy questions do not belong to this forum.