Quoted: W on transcript

MSmentor010

DO/systems-based/Rotations
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for your time and honesty in answering my question. I have a situation. Last year, I began taking classes at large private school as a post bacc and had to withdraw. I have now relocated and will be restarting in the fall at a new program. I am wondering if I have to talk about the W on my future applications? If I do not, will they be able to find out? and How bad does it look if I withdrew for personal reasons, even though I had A's?

Thank You

Hi! Most of the time, a "W" will show up on your transcript, so you can't really hide from it. I wouldn't necessarily write it in your application, but be prepared to discuss if it is brought up at an interview. I had a "W" on my transcript, but I ended up switching to a different class in the same department; therefore, that may be a reason no one asked me about it. No one even asked me why I switched to the other class but I was prepared just incase. I also had friends that had a "W", and no one seemed to care. As long as your other grades are fine and you didn't make it a habit, I don't think it matters. They just don't want to see "W's" all over your transcript because that would probably be a red flag for you not being dedicated or committed. I hope that helps a little! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, and thank you for your time and honesty in answering my question. I have a situation. Last year, I began taking classes at large private school as a post bacc and had to withdraw. I have now relocated and will be restarting in the fall at a new program. I am wondering if I have to talk about the W on my future applications? If I do not, will they be able to find out? and How bad does it look if I withdrew for personal reasons, even though I had A's?

Thank You

I agree that a W or two won't hurt you overall. As long as your BCPM an your overall GPA are high, you should be fine. Without specifically mentioning the W -- especially a single withdrawal -- you may just want to address what was going on for you that term in your PS. I, too had some W's on my transcript, and in sciences, even. However I worked more than full time while in school, and honestly I simply couldn't give the classes the time they needed when my real life workload got overwhelming. My PS was very clear about the struggle I had to get through school as an adult while supporting myself and working, and I think if you have an overall file that shows you are dedicated and able to overcome the adversity that is a real part of adult life, you will be fine.

What you would need to specifically explain is if you withdrew entirely from school in any one semester or had a long gap between withdrawal and return to studies.

Good Luck!