Quoted: Potential obstacle to licensing

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am about to apply for my california medical license and had a concern. Two years ago I was in an internship where I wasn't happy and didn't do too well either. I was placed on probation midway through the year. I was not enamored with that specialty and it really reflected in the quality of my work. They didn't care for me too much but I was not thrown out..I finished out the year and received my diploma and credit for it, but was not asked to remain for the following year. They allowed me to resign, with the off-the-record understanding that they would seek to throw me out if I didn't gracefully bow out of the program.
Since then, I went on to a different residency in a completely different specialty where I've been happier and done well. I finished last year without any problems. Now, in my second year in this new residency, I am about to apply for my state license. I am concerned what impact my subpar performance and probationary status in my first residency program will have on my ability to secure a license. I am not even in a program of that particulary specialty any longer.
Will it be an issue if I went on since then and did well? How do I approach this topic in the application being that they do require some explanation as to any disciplinary actions. It goes without saying, I really don't want licensure to be denied especially since I am required by my program to be licensed by next year.
Any thoughts on this topic will be welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We'll see what aPD has to say on this one, but I don't think you need to report this for licensure applications. However, your current program director or a legal expert in licensure in the state of interest (in this case, California) would be the best source of information.

Members don't see this ad.

Much will depend on what your prior program will document in your file. If they say "He/She completed the year satisfactorily and transferred to another specialty" -- then there's no foul, and you don't report anything, and all is well in the world.

If your documentation from your prior program states "was put on probation" or anything like that, then you do need to disclose this. The worst thing to do would be to say that all was well, and then have your paperwork disagree. That will raise some serious red flags. Actually, even worse would be you reporting that you were "on probation" when your actual paperwork from the program doesn't mention it.

You also need to figure out if they will disclose that you would not have had your contract renewed, or whether they will simply say that you left at the end of the year.

Several options:
1. If you're still on good terms with your prior PD, you could contact them to see what your paperwork says / will say.
2. There is some chance that your current PD obtained such paperwork as part of your transfer, and it might already be in your file.
3. You could have your current PD contact your prior PD, if you think that would work better.
4. The license application you are submitting will have a form that will need to be completed by your previous program. Some applications have you obtain the form and include it with your application. If so, your problems are solved -- get the form, see what it says, and then complete your part of the application as appropriate.

i need serious advice from someone....

iam current 4th year resident and will be finishing my residency 2009. Iam interested in applying for california license. about 10 years ago..... even before med school i was arrested for a misdominor and my record was expunged. iam looking at calfornia license application they are requestion the all criminal record to be disclosed even including expunged. I don't know what to do??? that incident happened in the past and i forgot about it until now. Can someone give me info on this issue...should i disclose this info to california license

:(:(:(:(

I would pay for an hour of time with an attorney who specializes in these kinds of issues. Contact the California State Bar for a referral to the appropriate law practice that deals with this. It is difficult to know whether you need to disclose based on the vague facts presented here. I know CA is a tough state in terms of licensure. If you don't need to dredge up ancient history that is no longer relevant, that would be best. But you should get sound legal counsel from a reputable attorney before omitting this information on your licensure application. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would they really stop you from getting licensed for a charge that was expunged??? Was it anything related to violence or drugs?

I highly doubt that at this far in the game they would deny you, but I could be wrong. Interested in others opinions about this...

I would get an attorney's advice (about the expunged charge) FOR SURE.
What I am wondering is how the California medical board would even find out about a charge that was expunged. I mean, expunged means gone from the records, right? An attorney could probably tell you what kind of paper trail, if any, an expunged charge is likely to leave.

I remember that ? on the Cali medical license application too, and it's kind of weird. I think most or all other states I've seen just ask for felonies or misdemeanors you've been charged with...but don't specifically ask about expunged charges.

On a higher note, if the charge was something relatively minor (like underage drinking or smoking marijuana or something) and it was 10 years ago, I bet they wouldn't deny you medical licensure based on that. It might definitely hold up your license application though, and California takes a notoriously long time to process the license applications as it is.