Quoted:How much do residencies look into your personal life?

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you apply for residencies, how much do they look into your personal life? I have a friend who is a D.A. and she said when they're hiring they do extensive internet searches and etc. to see what's out there about the person. I'm wondering where the line between professionalism and personal life tends to fall.

aPD can certainly answer this better than I can, but outside of any required criminal background checks I think this type of searching would be very rare. I'm not sure what you're really concerned about that wouldn't be found by a criminal check, but I personally doubt that residency directors care much about what they'd find out from an internet search. In other words, the pics from the weekend in Cancun on Facebook and Myspace won't be an issue. I suppose that one could say something in an interview that would get someone curious ("My spare time activity is developing software to illegally download music" might get some attention....), but generally I'm doubtful they much care. As always, common sense is a good idea.

Anyone that would participate in a racist or similar website group using an identifiable name or picture probably doesn't have the common sense to make it through residency, but I suppose if a PD was tipped off about this they might look. I doubt that happens often if ever. If the issue is a past divorce or something of that "personal" nature, I think it would be very very unlikely to be something that would concern a PD.

We'll see what aPD has to say.....

Members don't see this ad.

When you're hiring a DA, presumably you have 2-3 people you're looking at seriously. So, you're likely to search them out in great detail. IN addition, DA's have a very public life, and embarrassing personal details can be used to totally derail a case.

In residency, there are many applicants. There is no way to do a deep search on each.

I only investigate claims that are either really cool sounding, or those that sound frankly unbelievable.