Quoted: Don't Know how to

MSmentor020

DO/Single student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm opening this up to any SDN member who has advice for the OP.

I had wanted to go to med. school for the longest time. I have recently missed the admission process last yr.
I'm preparing to go for my MCAT, this yr. Had never taken one. Also, I had thought of joining a reputable institution to be involved in some publication (was accepted) so that I can have it added to my CV.

1) How can I be able to study very well for my O CHEM, CHEM and Physics with very basic: intro to physics class and intro to inorg+org chem background and on the side trying to do my volunteer research work? How do I study for the above tough subjects. I had only bought a KAPLAN Premier MCAT book. HELP :scared:
2) With the research thing, I had started out carrying a flaming torch baton. Now before I had actually conceptualize my research topic on paper, the flame is starting to die out.
Overall, what I have thought Of starting out to do I have not done nor doing......HLP

Thanks for looking thro' and for you advice. I appreciate your time:bow:

To address your first question... I realize that the MCATs can look very intimidating and studying for it can easily become overwhelming. The secret to it, is to confront each topic separately. Don't try to learn physics in one day, but instead concentrate on mirrors/lenses, then electrical and magnetic fields the next, etc... Also, prioritize what your weaknesses are and really concentrate on them. That should help raise your score. As for books, I personally used Kaplan and Exam Krackers, but that's completely up to you. Best of luck! :luck:

I personally, do not have much research experience yet, so I'll refrain from commenting on your second issue. But it's open to ALL SDN members!

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to get into research in either undergrad or medical school is to find a general area in which you're interested, find a faculty member who does research in that area, then latch onto whatever he/she is doing. Most faculty members are more than happy to have you. Ask around about who's good to work with and you can't go wrong. Your "flaming torch" shouldn't be so huge this early in your career. Otherwise, like you said, it'll burn out.

Also, please make it clear from the beginning with ur researcher about how much hours u r willing to put.

In my college, 3hrs per week per credit hrs. so, I put ~12 hrs /week.

I am doing research right now with 3 classes( org II, biochem I, apII) .

It does takes lots of time as I am doing 3 credit hrs research.

best luck