QUOTED: Disability in Healthcare

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in college with a fairly substantial physical disability--so substantial, in fact, that I think it will truly limit my ability to meet technical standards for pharmacy or medical schools--two fields I'm considering. I have poor fine motor skills (problems with compounding and medical procedures), poor balance/walking ability, (can't walk unassisted or go up stairs), can't lift or carry things/people, etc. I've done research and found that I would have serious difficulties meeting the general technical standards of these schools and if I did enter one of these fields, I would be severly limited in the type of work I could perform (academic research or drug info, probably not much practice), taking out much of what attracts me to the fields in the first place (variety of working situations, patient contact, active role in healthcare, wide job markets, etc.). Thus, I've considered other fields like social work and clinical psych, where functional limitations would be less of an issue. Yet, I remain fascinated by medicine and pharmacy and have had people who know me tell me to "go for my dream" or "don't give up." However, it seems many of them are saying this to avoid seeming rude or bigoted, and I don't want to get into a field I can't suceed in, either in the clinical schoolwork or in practice. Thus, I wanted to ask--anonmously--to what extent someone with my degree of functionally limitations could succeed in these schools or jobs, based on what you know of your programs and/or professions.

Than you!

You seem to have a reasonable understanding of the situation. Your physical limitations will limit your ability to perform in some aspects of medicine, but do fine in others. As far as medicine is concerned, I imagine you could do pathology, psychiatry, PM&R, and perhaps neurology. I'm sure there are other fields I'm omitting.

I've seen some students with serious impediments in medical school and residency. One of the applicants to our psych residency was completely blind, and we've had an anesthesia resident in a wheelchair. So, it's do-able but for sure will be difficult. You'll probably need some sort of exemption from surgery, or some sort of altered surgical experience (clinic only, or just an observer in the OR, or something like that). Many of your other clinical rotations could be difficult, if you have trouble "keeping up" with the team. Still, others have overcome these issues.

Hopefully others will share their stories here, both successes and problems.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a sophomore ....... professions.

Than you!

I just wanted to say that I have met several people who are handicapped. For example, there is one pediatrician at my school who has a serious arm malformation, and he cannot function that arm or write with it - but this did not prevent him from getting his MD. He is very successful at what he does and his patients all love him very much. His disability has not prevented him from doing what he wanted to do.

Maybe more people can chime in.

I wish you the very best!

It sounds like you have a good understanding of what you're up against. You have additional challenges - but they're not insurmountable.

A while back, I came across a story that I liked that I think you may appreciate:
Triple Amputee to Graduate from Medical School (UCLA)

You'll probably want to discuss this with your doctor and have the information prepared in advance. From what I've seen of Secondaries thus far, they all seem to include a "Can you meet the technical/physical requirements of our program?" section. Obviously, it's possible to get in while answering "no" to that (or these brave folks we've cited on this thread wouldn't be doing what they're doing), but I don't know what one must do to address that.

Good luck to you! If you do decide that medicine is for you, I'm sure you'll have a perspective shared by few physicians.

Also, it seems you are somewhat worried that the "reasonable accommodation" schools advertise is just feel-good rhetoric, you may want to consult a disability lawyer, who could help you understand the situation better. (Not to threaten anyone, but so you have all the information you need to make an informed decision.)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the OP--sorry for the delay in responding! Thank you all for the advice--I am looking into consulting with a lawyer regarding the "realities," so to speak, of the ADA and also investigating the procedural requirements of different specialities and considering doing some shadowing in the ones that seem like they may be doable for a person with my limitations.

Does anyone know a professonial organization for medical students or doctors with physical disabilities? I've done some Google searching but haven't found anything substantial.

Thanks again!