Quoted:Before medical school

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have experienced quite a tribulation during the fall semester of my sophomore year in college. As such, I believe that it is perhaps most wise on my part to take some time to mature before applying to medical school. I am about to become a junior, but I am curious to know what the options are for those people who do not plan to enter medical school directly after college. What kinds of suitable jobs or internships are available? What do most students do during those years before medical school to gain further insight or familiarity with the health field?

In addition, if my situation involves an incident of academic dishonesty (for which I have previously seeked advice on studentdoctor.net), should I include it in my personal statement? Or should I write about it exclusively on the portion of the application that tells me to explain the event? If I address the problem on the personal statement, how much should I devote to this? Just a short reference and then elaborate more on the explanation portion of the application?

I hope my questions are not too confusing and I appreciate your help. Thanks!

I'll let others comment about the job question. With regards to the academic honesty, this will need to be explained fully in writing. Where to put this depends on the application process, but it definitely needs some explanation such has been described before on this forum of what happened and how you've learned/grown/overcome it.

Members don't see this ad.

The OP asked me to comment on how long the essay should be.

It really depends on where you explain it - but, in general, I'd think about 5-6 sentences that says what happened, what you learned from it, and how you've moved forward in your life would be about right. Too long and you're dwelling on it, too short and your not giving it enough attention. :rolleyes:. So, a short but clear, non-defensive sounding paragraph should do the trick here.

Academic dishonesty: If there is a section of the application dedicated to adressing this, then devote several sentences, as Tildy describes, to briefly explaining the incident then describing the outcome and what you have learned/how you have changed. If you are able to address this completely in the appropriate section of the app, then I would advise against revisiting this topic in your personal statement. The PS is a chance for you to sell yourself, shine on paper, talk about your goals. It shouldn't be the place to remind others of your shortcomings.

I would say the same for nearly any other negative/controversial situation. Address it in the portion of the app dedicated to that topic, and ignor it in your PS. Remember that at many schools, interviewers only get a limited peek at your app. Some only get the PS and some demographic info. Thus, if you get past the Selection Committee screening, your interviewer will be oblivious to these transgressions uinless you choose to divulge them in your essay or the flow of the interview.

Jobs: If you are motivated to become a physician, the best thing you can do is work with physicians/researchers. You'll get experience, letters of recommendation, and a great insight into the medical profession. There are many jobs at a hospital that you can be trained for: EMT, Respiratory, Anesthesia tech. Also think research, but I think it may be a touch more suspicious to work with a researcher if you have a history of scholarly dishonesty. If you can apply for and get the job without discussing that facet, though, go for it. It will show you are a trustworthy member of a research team.

Posted for the OP:

Is that true though? that the panels interviewing me for admission to medical school will likely not even be aware of the violation or even raise questions about it? I have already conjured up images of my being almost interrogated about the incident and having to be expected to give a perfectly coherent and logically persuasive explanation in front of the interviewers as they stare into my eyes to detect any sign of deception. I just hope that they don't think I am such a bad person that I don't deserve a second chance.

I know I should be honest but will information about this incident be requested in all of my applications to graduate or professional schools that I choose to pursue in the future?

Also, is it true that since residencies in primary care, such as internal medicine, are less competitive that those who want to become IM physicians don't have to get into top-notch medical schools but could still successfully get a match through mediocre or less prestigious medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the same for nearly any other negative/controversial situation. Address it in the portion of the app dedicated to that topic, and ignor it in your PS.

Do you include having a low gpa should be one of these negative situations or should we speak about the gpa problem in our PS?

OP:

One piece of great advice I have heard is to try to build bridges with the professor you wronged through your cheating (can you do research for him or her, etc?). Also, check to see if it is on your official record. If not, don't put it in your PS, if so mention it briefly only if there isn't another place to do so. You have to tread carefully in this arena as many adcoms have thresholds for tossing out your app.

Posted for the OP

It's not on my official record but there will be a place on the application where I will have to bring it up. As Tildy advised, it's best just to write about 6 sentences, not too short but not too long. But do you think it will definitely be brought up during the interviews? Also, what do you mean "tread carefully in this arena as many adcoms have thresholds for tossing out your app"? As in if i don't mention the violation and pretend that it didn't happen that it will lead to automatic cancellation of my application? cause that's not something i plan to do. Or do you mean there will be some schools that will just outright turn me down for that violation?

If the incident is reflected in your transcript or any of the letters sent by anyone from your school, then the adcom will know about it. I strongly recommend honesty throughout the process. I do not think most adcom members would refuse to consider an application without at least hearing, in writing or in person, about what happened. They will look for what you have done since then to demonstrate maturity and regret. Any evidence of deception since that event would likely be grounds for immediately rejecting the application. Ultimately, you may have to apply and see what happens. If you don't get in, with an application that is otherwise very solid, then consider taking a few years, doing something that you want to do and then apply again. No one can entirely predict what will happen to any application.

When I said "tread carefully", I wasn't suggesting that you lie, but that you are very careful in how you frame and describe the incident, as well as explain how you've grown from it. Other people can afford to take their personal statement lightly, you cannot. There will indeed be some schools that screen you out, at least with my adcom time that seemed to be true. That's all.

Posted for the OP

It's not on my official record but there will be a place on the application where I will have to bring it up. As Tildy advised, it's best just to write about 6 sentences, not too short but not too long. But do you think it will definitely be brought up during the interviews? Also, what do you mean "tread carefully in this arena as many adcoms have thresholds for tossing out your app"? As in if i don't mention the violation and pretend that it didn't happen that it will lead to automatic cancellation of my application? cause that's not something i plan to do. Or do you mean there will be some schools that will just outright turn me down for that violation?