Quoted: Academic probation and MD/DO apps

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted for a member

I was on academic probation for a semester during the first semsester of junior year. I had some personal problems and other hard classes on my plate, I ended up receiving Ds in my O chem II and in a Bio class durin my sophomore spring semester. I retook those course and got B and A respectively, but I had to be on academic probation for a semester. It did not affect my enrollment since it was a warning to do well in school. I graduated this year with 3.2 GPA overall and 3.0 GPA in my science classes. So my question is should I talk about this in MD and DO primary application. There is a section where they ask :

DO:
Were you ever the recipient of any action for unacceptable academic performance, (including but not limited to academic probation or academic warning) or were you ever the recipient of any action for conduct violations by any college or school?

MD:
Were you ever the recipient of any institutional action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw?

What should I do? should I talk about the bad semester? Also, what if the reason is too personal? what should I do then?

Please advise me. I am filling out my primary application, and I don't know what to do about that section. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if academic probation counts as "institutional action," because as you say it is really just a warning that you need to get your grades up.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more certain I am that it is NOT an "action." It could be called a "notice," or a "warning," but NOT an action. An action would be, for example, the school forcing you to take a semester leave of absence due to academic performance... or the school giving you F's because you were suspected of cheating.

However, two points:

1) You may consider asking your school if they consider academic probation "institutional action" (I'd be very surprised if they did), since their opinion is more important than mine, and

2) You may still wish to consider writing about the bad semester, particularly if you learned any valuable lesson(s) that has made you a better student.

I disagree with the above. The questions above clearly are asking about this type of process. In fact, the DO question specifically includes "academic probation".

Here's the test I would use: If the term Academic Probation (or similar) appears on your transcript, then it was an official institutional action. If not, then it was unofficial (i.e. dean says: get your GPA up or I'll kick you out).

Even if it is not on your transcript, remember that if you answer "no" and later someone else feels you lied, you can be terminated for fraud regardless of your current performance.

There is no question you need to report this (related to AMCAS). The question is how to describe it?

My general opinion is that things that are ultimately reflected in your grades need little explanation in your essays. A simple "I had a single difficult semester but my work since them provides evidence of my abilities" will suffice. Do not make excuses in detail in your essays. In the interview, again, go with a "I had significant issues, but have since worked through them, etc". Do not give the impression that you are a student who will do badly when you have family or other personal problems. Rather, indicate that you HAD a bad semester, learned how to adapt and are a great applicant. There are some exceptions to this (if you were seriously hurt/ill, lost a parent, etc) in which one may wish to briefly explain what happened, but in general, it is best to simply say you have gotten over whatever made you have a single bad semester, class, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic Probation = Institutional Action

The good thing for you is that most applications give a chance to explain what happened! Be honest without giving too much information. Ex. Yes, I was on AP, due to .......

Good Luck!!! AP s not the end of the world it's how you handled it.

Academic Probation = Institutional Action

The good thing for you is that most applications give a chance to explain what happened! Be honest without giving too much information. Ex. Yes, I was on AP, due to .......

Good Luck!!! AP s not the end of the world it's how you handled it.

Well said. Never, ever lie or be deceptive on a school, job, or licensing application. It WILL be discovered, either right away or in 10 years.