Technology quick question??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medscholhopeful

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i wanted to convert my textbook into audio , so i can study more efficiently since i wil be on the run most of this semester. Are there any software/websites i can use to achieve this? I do have access to my textbook online tho but can i convert it to audio... any help is appreciated. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure there are multiple ways to do this. One way that I can think of from the top of my head is that if you have your textbook as a document, you can easily convert this to a .lit file (google for free software that does this) and open the .lit file with Microsoft Reader (another free software). Microsoft Reader can read the file for you out loud and you can record it using your mp3 recorder or computer. I must warn you that the reading will sound very robotic and monotonous but I imagine that it will be the same with any other software you use.

www.spokentext.net

if you have the document in any text format (word, pdf, html) you can drop it into the area and this site will convert it into ipod format, mp3, wav, etc. I have used it to drop UpToDate articles in and listen to on the drive to work. It is the easiest solution I have found and works very well. Most med schools have access to books on the web which will hopefully give you the text you are looking for to drop into mp3 format. It's not always perfect and it is clearly a computerized voice but it's still very good for what it is (free!).

you can easily drop in pdf journal articles as well. time to make some use of your commute!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Dragon Speak has this function now too, among its original functions of transcribing speech to text. There's also a medical version:

http://www.nuance.com/healthcare/products/dragon_medical.asp

Although I don't think that's what you need. The above link does seem good if you don't want to spend any money. DS is kinda expensive :(

thanks guys, i'll look into all the websites you mentioned!!!! hopefully i can get some help with that , and also make good use of my commute time...as dr j pointed out. thanks!!