quick question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fort lincoln

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iam interested in trying to get into a ED as a tech for experience for PA school?? Is it more beneficial in going the EMT-B route or CNA route. IT seems that most hospitals in Maryland want cna , but not quite sure?

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

fort lincoln said:
Iam interested in trying to get into a ED as a tech for experience for PA school?? Is it more beneficial in going the EMT-B route or CNA route. IT seems that most hospitals in Maryland want cna , but not quite sure?

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Good question, there are a couple of things to consider, but first I'll give you my $0.02, Absolutely and positively go the EMT route. From an experience and opportunity perspective it's far superior in my opinion.
1. PA school wants to see that you have patient care experience, that means you take care of a patient's medical needs. They want to know that you can make independent decisions that have a rational basis. CNAs take care of patient's comfort care needs (cleaning, feeding, toileting, etc), not their medical problems, there is very little independent decision making. EMTs see a variety of different cases, and often take decisive action in life and limb threatening situation. I can't really see a CNA doing much in the way of this, unless you consider ass wiping and bed changing decisive action.
2. I'm not saying you shouldn't take a CNA job, keep in mind you can always learn. It doesn't really matter if you are a CNA, EMT, Medic, PA, MD or janitor, if you pay attention and can read you can learn. Obviously the learning curve has different slopes based on the learning opportunities your job presents you with.
3. There are alot of different levels of responsibililty for ED tech, it depends on the hospital and what they require as a job pre-requisite. Chances are if a hospital is looking for CNA credentials, you won't be doing anything too glamorous. If you are sure the ED tech job is what you want get the CNA certification. Just make sure you know the sort of work you'll be responsible for while on duty. Maybe what they really want is a CNA to work in the ER. Carefully consider the nursing administration's definition of an ED tech's job duties, especially if they frown on EMT credentials and favors CNA credentials as a job pre-requisite. Maybe it really isn't the job for you afterall.
I hope this has been helpful to you. -Niko

Thank you for your very informative response. Iam definitly going to take the EMT route at this point. I figure if these schools want some type of clinical exp. I'd rather have it trained in this arena, as supposed to the nursing model. If I can't get a ED tech position somewhere at least I can find a more EMT oriented position and maybe go for EMt-1 or paramedic from the EMT-B ,while still finishining up pre-reqs and attaining some soild experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
fort lincoln said:

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Hospitals in Texas & Oklahoma require you to be an EMT-B at non-trauma hospitals and an EMT-P at trauma centers. CNAs are not employed in the emergency room.