[Quick Question] Prejudice vs. Stereotypes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FauxBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been struggling to identify whether or not a situation is usually due to prejudice or stereotypes. i think i need another person's take on this to get a better hold on the differences...can someone help explain~?

Ty very much~!

Members don't see this ad.

I think prejudice is when you have a preconceived thought about a certain group of people w/o having actually encountered this themselves (like being prejudice against African American people). I think stereotypes are when you take a single characteristic that a person possesses and label them into a group based on that single characteristic; you are oversimplifying basically (like you see an asian, so you automatically think they are smart)

Reactions: 1 user
Wrong forum buddy.
But to answer question, according to Oxford bibliographies:
Prejudice: "refers to the attitudes and feelings—whether positive or negative and whether conscious or non-conscious—that people have about members of other groups."
Stereotypes "specific beliefs about a group, such as descriptions of what members of a particular group look like, how they behave, or their abilities."

Prejudice: PRE conceived notion that leads to categorizing members of a group as being such and such
Stereotypes: generalized beliefs about a group that are a result of SEEING WHAT ONE MEMBER OF THE GROUP HAS DONE.

ie. Group A and B are working on a project. You see 1 member of group B fooling around and think the entire group is lazy and irresponsible. -stereotype.
You see a lazy classmate in Group A and think the whole group is lazy.-Prejudice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong forum buddy.
But to answer question, according to Oxford bibliographies:
Prejudice: "refers to the attitudes and feelings—whether positive or negative and whether conscious or non-conscious—that people have about members of other groups."
Stereotypes "specific beliefs about a group, such as descriptions of what members of a particular group look like, how they behave, or their abilities."

Sorry buddy! Is it possible to transfer this thread?