Quick question about TLR 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arkteryx

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going through my immunology lecture, professor has a few slides on TLRs. Some basic info categorizes them (cell surface and endosomal)...my question is: He has a third slide on TLR 4 specifically, and I was curious if this was an especially important receptor, or a favorite of his personally, or what?

Members don't see this ad.

just know general TLR. no need to know #

Members don't see this ad :)
Learn as much as your professor wants you to learn (if he has an entire slide dedicated to TLR4...chances are HE/SHE thinks it's important and potentially testable), that much is school specific.

For long term retention (board relevancy) look up what it says in FA and know that.

Going through my immunology lecture, professor has a few slides on TLRs. Some basic info categorizes them (cell surface and endosomal)...my question is: He has a third slide on TLR 4 specifically, and I was curious if this was an especially important receptor, or a favorite of his personally, or what?
Toll-like receptor 4 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the TLR4 gene. TLR4 is a transmembrane protein, member of the toll-like receptor family, which belongs to the pattern recognition receptor (PRR) family. Its activation leads to an intracellular signaling pathway NF-κB and inflammatory cytokine production which is responsible for activating the innate immune system.[3] It is most well known for recognizing lipopolysaccharide (LPS), a component present in many Gram-negative bacteria (e.g. Neisseria spp.) and select Gram-positive bacteria.

Even I know this, and I an not a microbiologist. LPS bad. Hence, I suspect this is why your professor had this on the slide. But it sure smells of minutiae.

I did some transfections for a colleague last week, as she wanted to see if her constructs would express her favorite gene. She gave me some miniprpep DNA.

I pointed out that endotoxin would probably hurt the cells.

Her: No, I've had good luck transfecting miniprep DNA. And these cells don't have TLR4.
Me: Okaaaay.

Sure enough...massive cell death. It was still a win... enough cells survived to express the protein. But I told her that if she wants a western done on the lysates, she'd better use some maxiprep DNA.