Quick question about periodic trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdb09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I was just wondering regarding periodic trends of electron affinity and ionization energy for the noble gases - are they 0 for the noble gases, or do they have a value? Say there was a question on which has the highest electron affinity or the highest first ionization energy - and you could select Cl or Ar...which is the right choice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Technically anything can be ionized, but the energy for noble gasses is extremely high. I doubt you would see a question like that.

I made a thread about this! I think it's on this first page somewhere. But what I have concluded: electron affinity of noble gases is (basically) zero.

Ionization energy = energy required to remove an electron. Noble gases DO have ionization energies - extremely high infact- indicating it requires A HUGE amount of energy to remove an electron from them (they are stable with their octet and consequently have no intention to let someone steal their electrons!)

Say there was a question on which has the highest electron affinity or the highest first ionization energy - and you could select Cl or Ar...which is the right choice?
Highest first ionization energy could be asked on the MCAT, and I believe the right choice would be Argon. The noble gas has the highest 1st ionization energy.

As far as highest electron affinity, that is a little tricker. Don't know if this would come on the MCAT. And honestly don't know what I would put (a quick googling says there are no conclusive measurements of electron affinities of noble gases, they are often assumed zero). So I think I would pick Chlorine.

Great question