Quick Advice on School Choice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeyes15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm sure people have posted similar things but I couldn't find them so here we go.

I applied 2 cycles ago with obviously low stats (don't know what I was thinking). I have spent the last year getting my CNA certification (which I have had a hospital job for 6 months part time so I have 300 hours and counting, in addition to the 300 I already had.) I'll be working full time in it too starting in May.

I've also retaken a few classes and my gpa is now 3.4 (allopathic) and 3.6 (osteopathic). I have a 25 MCAT on file but am retaking on April 1st, and have been hitting 505-510 on practices.

I live near Chicago now and have also lived in Ohio. I have strong ties to Iowa and Wisconsin as well.

Any help on school choices would be much appreciated. Not delusional and think I'll get in everywhere haha good ECs and comfortable interviewee. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone I'm sure people have posted similar things but I couldn't find them so here we go.

I applied 2 cycles ago with obviously low stats (don't know what I was thinking). I have spent the last year getting my CNA certification (which I have had a hospital job for 6 months part time so I have 300 hours and counting, in addition to the 300 I already had.) I'll be working full time in it too starting in May.

I've also retaken a few classes and my gpa is now 3.4 (allopathic) and 3.6 (osteopathic). I have a 25 MCAT on file but am retaking on April 1st, and have been hitting 505-510 on practices.

I live near Chicago now and have also lived in Ohio. I have strong ties to Iowa and Wisconsin as well.

Any help on school choices would be much appreciated. Not delusional and think I'll get in everywhere haha good ECs and comfortable interviewee. Thanks!
If you can hit 510, 3.6/510 makes you good for any DO school (assuming your sGPA is the same).

Your current stats are good for some DO schools. If you score greater than 505 on the MCAT you could apply to any DO school. Schools to consider if you do no better than your current MCAT of 25 (500 on the new MCAT) include:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
CUSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
any new DO schools that open in 2017 (there should be several)
Apply to more if you do well on the MCAT.

For MD if you score 508 or higher consider your state school (Illinois) and :
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane
California Northstate
Any private MD schools that open in 2017 ( Seton Hall, Henricopolis, Roseman, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I may have miscalculated...I will be at 3.5 (osteopathic) and 3.3 (allopathic). Does one GPA point change that much if I can still nail the MCAT?

Actually I may have miscalculated...I will be at 3.5 (osteopathic) and 3.3 (allopathic). Does one GPA point change that much if I can still nail the MCAT?
Not for DO, but you'll be hard pressed to get into MD's outside of your home state without a very high MCAT score and a 3.3.

With a 3.3, I would focus on D.O because M.D will be a reach... Don't make the same mistake I did..