Quick advice for an M2 - get B grades and work on step 1 or get As?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suji0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a week and a half till finals begin, and have borderline grades in most of my important classes. Then my dedicated step 1 prep starts.

I can either continue working on my qbank (uworld) etc and take the Bs in my classes, or ditch the step 1 stuff and work on making sure I get an A.

The real question I am asking is, for an ophthalmology program, how much do preclinical grades really matter? I will not be AOA for sure (I have made a couple of other Bs in my first year), and am trying to go to some mid-range programs (but nothing top 10)

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1. Hands down. No one ever mentioned my (less than stellar) preclinical grades at interviews but a good step 1 score will get you in the door. Is there a class where it would take less time to get an A than others? Maybe shoot for an A in one class, but it's definitely time to be focused on Uworld. I stopped studying class notes half way thru second semester of M2 and did only Step 1 prep and it worked out just fine.

Step 1. Hands down. No one ever mentioned my (less than stellar) preclinical grades at interviews but a good step 1 score will get you in the door. Is there a class where it would take less time to get an A than others? Maybe shoot for an A in one class, but it's definitely time to be focused on Uworld. I stopped studying class notes half way thru second semester of M2 and did only Step 1 prep and it worked out just fine.
I would definitely second this. Just make sure you pass.

haha passing isn't the issue, its just that we are on the A/B/C/F scale. im pretty much guaranteed a B in those classes but wasn't sure how my transcript would look riddled with Bs and not being ranked too high in the class

thanks for taking the time to respond!