All Branch Topic (ABT) Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm getting conflicting information from my recruiters and would appreciate it if you guys could set the record straight.

I submitted my SF86 (100+ page security clearance document) and the status changed to "OPM scheduled" in late September.

I believe I am being considered for a "Secret" clearance.

Could you please answer the following questions:

1) Recruiter #1 says the actual background check won't happen until well after I begin dental school. Recruiter #2 says that it MUST be completed before commissioning or I can't commission. Who is correct?

2) I also heard from an HSCP selectee that this check includes a personal interview. Someone else who already held a position as a military physician, on the other hand, told me that it is an online check and there is no interview involved. Which statement is correct?

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe it is needed before commissioning. Some people require an interview, but it seems that is only if there is a red flag on your app (for instance, something as simple as traveling out of country recently). My references were not even called, and I assume it is because my family is American born and we all have not traveled outside of the States in recent years.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe it is needed before commissioning. Some people require an interview, but it seems that is only if there is a red flag on your app (for instance, something as simple as traveling out of country recently). My references were not even called, and I assume it is because my family is American born and we all have not traveled outside of the States in recent years.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard a peep since I commissioned in May, and I travel outside the country all the time. Where did it say your OPM status?

I haven't heard a peep since I commissioned in May, and I travel outside the country all the time. Where did it say your OPM status?

My recruiter pulled it up on her computer.

Depending on the luck of the draw you could be in for a long wait. OPM has a huge backlog and I know of some people still waiting for 18 months for their clearance.

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on the luck of the draw you could be in for a long wait. OPM has a huge backlog and I know of some people still waiting for 18 months for their clearance.

So I suppose they grant you an interim clearance in the meantime when you commission?