Questions to ask a preceptor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzie516

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have a different preceptor interview me every 30 minutes (a total of 4 preceptors) for an on-site interview. Should I be asking different questions to each preceptor? What are some questions that you guys are planning to ask a preceptor? I have come up with a few, please give me some more ideas, thanks!! :)

- How much mentoring time is spent with you on your rotation?
- What is the relationship between the pharmacy department and the medical and nursing staff?
- How often do you give positive and constructive feedback? Format of feedback?
- How would you describe the primary roles served by residents while on your rotation?
- Do you assign any specific projects to your residents?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you like the most about working here?
What did the previous resident do after they completed their residency?
What do you think is the main challenge this hospital is going to face over the next year?
What new services/changes/innovations are you planning to implement over the next year?
What kind of teaching/precepting opportunities would I have? (assuming you are interested in teaching)
What research projects do residents here typically work on?
What are the staffing requirements?
What is your ideal resident like?

Just a few off the top of my head... at least, these are the things I would be interested in if I was applying...

What do you like the most about working here?
What did the previous resident do after they completed their residency?
What do you think is the main challenge this hospital is going to face over the next year?
What new services/changes/innovations are you planning to implement over the next year?
What kind of teaching/precepting opportunities would I have? (assuming you are interested in teaching)
What research projects do residents here typically work on?
What are the staffing requirements?
What is your ideal resident like?

Just a few off the top of my head... at least, these are the things I would be interested in if I was applying...

These are very very helpful! Thank you so much!

I have one more question... sorry :( Should I be addressing all preceptors by their last names? (Dr. so and so). I have already gotten to know the program directors pretty well through emails and have been using their first names, I wonder how I should address them :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
These are very very helpful! Thank you so much!

I have one more question... sorry :( Should I be addressing all preceptors by their last names? (Dr. so and so). I have already gotten to know the program directors pretty well through emails and have been using their first names, I wonder how I should address them :confused:

I always ask the person how s/he would like to be addressed to avoid any assumptions.

When you come and meet them, and they extend their hand and say their name - that's your clue. If they say "Hi, I am Jane" - then it's your clue that first names are OK. If they say "Good morning, I am Dr. Doe" then it's Dr. Doe. If you have already been using first names, then I would say it would be awkward if someone who always addressed me as such suddenly used my title and last name. Also, take clues from the way person speaks, dresses, stands - it all tells what kind of communication style they prefer. :) If in doubt, say Dr. Doe, and then wait whether they say "Just call me Jane".