questions regarding m4 scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljl1982

ljl1982
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 interested in diagnostic radiology with decent Step 1 scores (1s.d. above the mean) but unfortunately no significant research (radiology-related or otherwise).
I have a few questions about scheduling my M4 electives/away rotations/research rotations, and I would greatly appreciate any input from other SDN members:

1. When would be the best time to take my Radiology rotation at my home school (4 week "career elective"). I'm thinking July/August...

2. I have heard from other students that the number of away rotations should be limited (<3?)...and was wondering if other students have heard this also.

3. My school allows up to 8weeks of credit for a research rotation. Should I take this before my radiology rotation, or between my radiology and away rotations.

4. Best time to take the StepII?

Members don't see this ad.

1) June/July, so the letter of rec is in your file early.

2) There's no point in doing away rotations in rads unless youre REALLY interested in a particular program in a different region...wtf are you going to do as a med student to impress a radiologist?

3) Id say as early as possible to increase chances of having pubs by the time you submit your app.

4) As early as possible if you think you can rock it, having good step2 scores will give you a little edge over those who dont.

Agree with above.

you only need to take 1 radiology rotation during your 4th year, at most 2. any more than that and you'll loook like a slacker. take stuff you're interested in learning 4th year and you'll be that much more well rounded after you graduate

Members don't see this ad :)
ljl1982 said:
I'm an MS3 interested in diagnostic radiology with decent Step 1 scores (1s.d. above the mean) but unfortunately no significant research (radiology-related or otherwise).
I have a few questions about scheduling my M4 electives/away rotations/research rotations, and I would greatly appreciate any input from other SDN members:

1. When would be the best time to take my Radiology rotation at my home school (4 week "career elective"). I'm thinking July/August...

2. I have heard from other students that the number of away rotations should be limited (<3?)...and was wondering if other students have heard this also.

3. My school allows up to 8weeks of credit for a research rotation. Should I take this before my radiology rotation, or between my radiology and away rotations.

4. Best time to take the StepII?

1. Your home elective will be the easiest to schedule so see how everything else falls out and then schedule this. Probably makes no difference when you actually do this elective unless you need letters (in that case early).

2. I agree with the above posts. Away electives arent that helpful in rads. You arent going to impress anyone. My advice is to only do away electives if you feel a strong need to go to a particular program or to get the inside scoop about some place.

3. Do your research as early as possible so that you can have pubs or at least submitted papers to put on your application.

4. Step 2 - depends on your Step 1 score. If you did really well, why risk it? Take it as late as possible. If you did mediocre/poorly, take Step 2 early to beef up your application. Step 2 doesnt matter as much for rads as it does for specialties like medicine.

The only advice I would add is to not schedule hard rotations around your interview month (if they only give you one). I unfortunately had to schedule core rotations and it was extremely difficult to get time off, to the point my dean had to get my back, because the clinicians felt I "was missing an essential part of my medical education". I was like - heh don't you get it? I'm going into radiology. I really don't think missing a day of an outpatient clinic is going to change my life....

The best time to take Step 2 CK is then you're good & ready to strut your stuff. For better or worse, some programs screen by Step 1 alone since many qualified applicants are taking Step 2 CK later & later...This can be a tenuous path, though, if your medical school requires your passing :rolleyes: to graduate. Especially if you just need to pass, you don't want to take your Step 2 CK too early and bite the dust with a low score...ouch :eek: !

I always believe in good preparation to do my best on those blasted board tests and took a few extra months to prepare for Step 1 even though I sacrificed "vacation time" ;) or "research time" in senior year....so the best time is when you can perform with a good score! Research in my opinion is extra :) good :) but over-rated as a scheduling fixture if you don't really know if you can crank out a publication in barely a month...