Questions on Prereq Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunflower1991

Reaction score
Hello. I am a nontrad applicant playing around with my prerequisite timeline and schedule. By the time I apply for Medical School my previous coursework will be 10-14 years old. I plan on doing a DIY Postbacc for a year and then studying for the MCAT in the Winter of the following year. I think I want to retake Chem 1 and Microbiology because they are part of a series, the info relates to other required prereqs, and I remember pretty much nothing from the first go around. I graduated with a 3.6 cumulative GPA. Obviously my science GPA is lower due to the grades below, but if I am able to ace the prerequisites I think it should be high enough since I haven't taken that many prereqs yet. Additionally, these classes were all my freshman or sophomore year and I can show an upwards trend in my GPA. My first degree was in Sport Management & Accounting.

I took the following courses during my time in undergraduate: Intro Stats (A-), Intro Psych (B+), Intro Dev Psych (A-), Gen Chem 1 (A-), Gen Chem Lab (B), Intro to Microbiology (C+)

My current plan:
- Do not retake Stats or Psych. Review this material on my own using various resources before doing a DIY postbacc to get back in the learning mindset and cover MCAT material.
- Take any prereqs required by the Postbacc school at a community college while still working.
- Take the following prereqs as a DIY Postbacc at a local 4 year University:

Winter 2021Spring 2021Summer 2021Fall 2021Winter 2022
Bio 1Bio 2Physics 2Orgo 2Upper Level Bio/ Genetics
Chem 1Chem 2Orgo 1BiochemMCAT Study
Physics 1Microbiology
SociologyUpper Level Bio/ Genetics

Questions;
1. I think it would be useless to take an upper level Psych class for the purposes of Med School admissions and it would be better to take an upper level biology class and review psychology on my own for the MCAT. Am I on the right track here?
2. Regarding my DIY Postbacc schedule: Are there any glaring issues or things I should seriously reconsider? Due to MCAT timing, I know most classes should be done by the second winter. Additionally, I really need to continue working through the end of 2020. As such, I can take community college classes at night or over the weekend during 2020, but can't take any University classes because they aren't offered at night.
3. I know Spring/Summer classes are controversial, but I need to utilize that time. Are there classes that would better fit during that time or that I really should take in Winter or Fall.

Any other feedback is always appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Micro will be low yield for MCAT IMHO. I would try to stick a cell bio or physiology course in there. I don't know that the bulk of a regular stats class is particularly helpful, but if you had the opportunity to take a biostats class it would probably be good for the MCAT and definitely good for med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! There is a cell bio class available. I will add that where micro is. I did look into biostatistics classes. However, it does not appear that either my local community college or university offer this class. Would it still be useful to take the class if I can only take it online?