Questions in regards to choosing Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMD836

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new to this web site...so hopefully this works for me :) I will be starting medical school in 2005. I'm really interested in Dermatology for many reasons. I have been told it's the hardest residency to get placed into..that you have to be within the top 3 in your class. My first question is what can I do during medical school, other than do awesome on my boards, that will help me get into Dermatology. What are these residency directors looking for? At what point would I have to start doing research, and does research really play a significant role in the entire process? What's the best advice someone can give me who has already gone through the process? Thank you so much! Have a nice Easter =)

Members don't see this ad.

FutureMD836 said:
Hi everyone! I am new to this web site...so hopefully this works for me :) I will be starting medical school in 2005. I'm really interested in Dermatology for many reasons. I have been told it's the hardest residency to get placed into..that you have to be within the top 3 in your class. My first question is what can I do during medical school, other than do awesome on my boards, that will help me get into Dermatology. What are these residency directors looking for? At what point would I have to start doing research, and does research really play a significant role in the entire process? What's the best advice someone can give me who has already gone through the process? Thank you so much! Have a nice Easter =)
If you are really serious,the earlier in med school you focus on derm the better.Reseach is important to residency directors,Derm is very academic.Get to know the key players in your schools derm dept,they can do wonders for an applicant they know and like.But as you have not even started med school you might still wait a bit so as to look at other fields.You might find another specialty you prefer.

I guess you are a Dermatologist...Congratulations! Thank you for the advice. Is it true you have to graduate at the top 5 of your class? This may seem like a dumb question...but what makes Derm. so competitive: the fact that there aren't that many residency programs or the fact that it's just really popular due to lifestyle, hours, etc.? Would it be better for me to goto a higher ranked school..or does the medical school really not matter for obtaining a Derm. residency? You can be honest from what you've seen. I'm going through the process right now of deciding. I definitly want to keep my mind open too...I've volunteered in the hospital for years and shadowed many physicians...so luckily I have some idea of what really interests me before I enter med. school. I'll keep my eyes open though. Thank you :D

While numbers are important, no speciality - including derm - is purely a numbers game. You can certainly match without being "top 5".
Derm is competitive simply because there's a high number of very able applicants relative to the number of residency positions. So program directors have the luxury of choosing among a very wide and deep field of applicants.

If you're focusing on derm, show it by attending clinics, taking derm electives and getting involved in derm research (talk to your chair/professor or an approachable attending).

Yes, high class ranking, AOA status and outstanding USMLE scores certainly improves your chances of matching a residency. But it's not sine qua non. If you can document a solid and persistent interest and aptitude for derm, and have good Letters of Recommendation from luminaries in the field, that can certainly compensate for weaknesses in other areas. Thus, you can be a strong applicant if it's obvious that you've had a strong interest in dermatology since entering med school. Perhaps even a stronger applicant than a person with stellar "numbers" who apply to derm solely because it's competitive.
Best of luck.