questions for ucd-goers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arachniphobic73

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey ppl planning on going to ucd,

hmm we're supposed to be applying for residence after may 1st - do you guys know which residence building you're going to choose? i wonder if they house international students together (i've emailed AB about this - have yet to hear back)...

i just realized that i forgot to send in my hep B consent form a while back ( i just found it lodged in my agenda i don't use - crap)...it says that we're supposed to go get tested by ucd the week before registration, but most of us probably won't get there til the day before - i hope it doesn't prevent us from registering for classes and such.

i know this is a little premature, but is anyone flying out from toronto? pm me if you are - it'll be nice to meet someone before heading out there.

and lastly, for ppl already in ireland, what are some key things that we should bring? i've heard that contact lens solution is expensive there...? any other ideas?

thanks guys - hope to hear from you soon

-arach

Members don't see this ad.

biggest thing i can say is relax. once you get here you'll realize the irish do NOTHING on time so don't worry about hep b, it all gets sorted and no one will be stopping you from going to class or doing anything because of that.

as for residence, unless things have changed since i was in res (2003-04), you don't get a choice. most people end up in merville residence, a FEW in glenomena. glenomena is meant to be a postgrad res and has wireless internet and everyone gets their own bathroom. merville is more traditional and they do put all the internationals in apts together

forgot to mention in last post, contact lens solution is like liquid gold here so definitely bring it. ummm if you like peanut butter bring that...what else....very few brands of bar soap here so if you ahve a preference bring it, razor blades are expensive so bring those, and DEFINITELY bring deodorant because they really don't have anything here...a few brands of spray and roll on, no stick variety like we'd have at home......pretty gross....you will learn to identify new varieties of body odour you never thought possible

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your post...very informative :D

-arach

BadKarma is an invaluable member of this board!

I emailed Carl Lusby a while back about this. She said it will not be a problem. You can get the serological test on the 6th if you like.

i hate electronic dialogue. was that a dig at me or something!? anyway, yeah, carl lusby is the international student advisor and lower year medical student advisor. she is the ONLY person at UCD who will answer your questions honestly, get things done for you, and tell you she doesn't know something if she doesn't know (as opposed to BSing you like everyone else). seriously go to her or call her because the buck really stops with her.

No man. I meant no one else gives the type of advice you just gave or share their experiences like you do. Much appreciated and thanks for all the PM answers :).

ah no worries. it's helpful to know what things to bring/not bring etc....so you know what to expect.