This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DysonPhilips

Reaction score
Good evening,

I've developed an interest in x-ray sources and imaging techniques. There is a lot of great information out there but I feel there is gaps in my knowledge of the subject.

Below I included a list of questions for anyone to answer. I don't expect one person to answer them all so I numbered them. I also included my thoughts on what prompted these questions for ease of understanding.

Feel free to respond to just one question if you know the answer. Thanks for your time and help guys.

Radiology Questions 3/25/20

1.) Why is the face not prioritized with leaded protection?

I've seen x-ray glasses, caps, gloves and thyroid collars. I'm confused why full face masks are not more widespread considering whats available for other body parts.

2.) Is the chemical makeup of the intensifying/phosphor screens different when comparing the front (tube side) screen to the backside?

Just wondering if both the phosphor screens are identical. If they are identical it would seem the cassette determines which is the tube side. Or maybe the phosphor screens have slightly different composition and that determines the tube side.

3.) Green vs blue film. Why would anyone use blue?
In my experience the rare earth green screens emit so much more light when compared to a blue screen. I'm not sure why anyone would use blue considering the difference. I heard blue has higher resolution, realistically how much better is blues resolution when compared to the resolution of a green screen

4.) Why do we even use x-ray film?
If DR panels have such high resolution and near instant developing time it seems irresponsible to use anything else to diagnose a condition. Not to mention the lower radiation dose to the patient. Unless I'm mistaken the individual components of a DR scanner are not particularly expensive. Yet they seem to cost at least 15k+ when new.

5) I was wondering how different facility handle the removal of old equipment. Is there a specific process you have to follow or are the hospitals selling or donating it.

Curious how different facility's handle the removable of old equipment. Where does it go and who gets it? If a tube goes bad do you just throw it away? or are there specific procedures you have to follow to dispose of it.

6.) How much maintenance are radiologist expected to do on x ray machines?

Do they do things like replace the tube or electronic components of the HV power supply. Or are larger companies handling all the service of the machines?

7.) When you are developing film manually can you develop and fix multiple films at one?

Assuming your using a 8x10 tray that sits flat on a table (not a vertical tank) is it okay to develop two films right on top of each other in the developer/fixer solution.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you are all health and safe during this time,

Matt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What country are you in? I ask because your questions seem focused on film radiography which we don’t actually do a lot of in the US anymore. Even mammo is mostly digital now.

For your first question about the shielding: we shield what is important/ radiosensative. Thus the glasses and the thyroid shield. The rest of the face just isn’t as high price real estate from a radiation safety standpoint.

On the maintenance question the answer is none. That would be a tech or a physicist or most likely the vendor depending on what you are talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
I live in Canada (Vancouver area) but spend about half the year in the US. Also I'm not a student in the medical field.

I didn't know that film radiography isn't done much anymore. Now I'm thinking a veterinary forum may have been better to post to. I kinda doubt that a x-ray service forum exists but I'll google it after I post this.

I'm now currently working on building an x-ray imaging device that digitizes the image to an analog oscilloscope. The main reason that I'm building a DR system is because developing the film is such a tedious process.

It's really the engineering of the x-ray tubes, sources and imaging systems that is of interest to me. I also have a kiln and lampworking equipment so manufacturing x-ray tubes myself is also something I’d like to do. I am currently testing different phosphors for the creation of the scintillation crystal array that will connect to the photo multiplier tube. I hope to have the imager semi-functional in the next couple weeks.

All safety precautions are accounted for. Entire assembly is housed in exactly 200lbs of home cast square ingots (think lead legos). The ingots then are then covered with a 1/16" lead blanket. There are multiple geiger counters and PMT systems recording all levels before, during, and after exposure.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a forum better suited to the more technical questions. Sorry if I have wasted your time.

I am still curious about the quality/purpose of green vs. blue film if any radiologists was doing manual film processing back in the day. Also if you noticed any significant differences in resolution.

For your DR scanners that are in consistent use, how much maintenance do they require on average? are you required to do a annual service? is there any component that is prone to breaking regularly?

I found a forum better suited to the more technical questions. Sorry if I have wasted your time.

I am still curious about the quality/purpose of green vs. blue film if any radiologists was doing manual film processing back in the day. Also if you noticed any significant differences in resolution.

For your DR scanners that are in consistent use, how much maintenance do they require on average? are you required to do a annual service? is there any component that is prone to breaking regularly?
I don't have any technical answers for you, but I think you would enjoy this video - somebody literally constructs a CT from scratch in their garage (and is mindful about the radiation).

I don't have any technical answers for you, but I think you would enjoy this video - somebody literally constructs a CT from scratch in their garage (and is mindful about the radiation).

Thanks! That video was my original inspiration behind this project along with another video demonstrating the process of blowing small Kv x-ray tubes. Ben from Applied Science is extremely talented and has also built a SEM microscope and NO2 generator in his garage. He is really on another level when it comes to the DIY science projects.

The fundamentals of our imaging devices are very similar. The main difference is I plan to use two XY tables with stepper motors to move both detector and tube in conjunction with one another. These 3D printer components are very inexpensive now. Hopefully this will produce a higher quality image assuming there is minimal backlash in the system.

Thanks
Matt

If people are interested in safe home experimentation with x-rays "United Nuclear" sells a x-ray kit that is capable of producing decent radiographs. They sell the tube for $50 and the HV supply for $180 (Both found considerably less on eBay). While I don't have experience with their kit it appears safe enough to be sold online as long as basic radiation safety is followed. Another interesting thing is that this company is owned by Bob Lazar the original Area 51 whistle-blower.