Questions for Allergy/Immunology Fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY-1 resident in IM from community Hospital trying to get into Allergy/Immunology Fellowship.
What is the best Allergy/Immunology Book that could be used for rotation in Allergy?
And does it matter where you do research, do I have to go to the University Programm where they have Allergy Fellowship or it's ok to do it in my Community Hospital?
Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a research fellow in A&I now. Best book for Allergy is Middleton's. But it's enormous. The AAAAI has a review book for Fellows that is quite good if you can get your hands on it. I would say just read reviews in JACI; they are quite good. As far as research, basic science is the way to go. You should see the board questions that come up ... so esoteric basic science crap. I mean, the clinical fellows like to ask me questions since I basically do immunology research, but some of it, even I don't know. Anyway, my point is that this field loves to feel like they are hard core scientists, even though at the end of the day, they are just giving allergy shots and desensitizing pts. The basic practice of allergy (not the immunology side) hasn't changed in a long time. Personally, I feel the emphasis on research is an attempt to overcome an inferiority complex that they are less academic than other specialties. My personal view ... allergy is boring but the immunology is fascinating.

Sorry to distract from the original post, retroviridae, but I was hoping you could tell me a little bit more about A and I. I am interested in the field, but it seems very research oriented to me. Is the private practice job market good now for those coming out of fellowship? How easy is the transition into solo or group practice? Does one have to live in very large metropolitan areas to get the appropriate patient volume?

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
SmallTownGuy said:
Sorry to distract from the original post, retroviridae, but I was hoping you could tell me a little bit more about A and I. I am interested in the field, but it seems very research oriented to me. Is the private practice job market good now for those coming out of fellowship? How easy is the transition into solo or group practice? Does one have to live in very large metropolitan areas to get the appropriate patient volume?

Thank you in advance

It's only research oriented in academia. In private practice, it is all about the money. The market is good. Everyone of our fellows leaving for the real world has has no trouble landing a job. There are too few A&Is out there for the demand, and there is a push to open new training programs around the country. Most of our fellows go into group practice; only one went into solo practice at a new hospital with no A&Is. He was guranteed a salary though. I don't think you have to live in a large area to do well, but it can't hurt. Most docs though, have too many patients to handle. The usual solution is to hire PAs or nurse practitioners. Most allergy can be handled by anyone. They do well at the simple stuff. So you can effectively double or tripple your office's ability to see patients. And the more patients you see, the more money you get.

I think it is a good field, just that outside of academia, it is boring. But lifestyle and salary are pretty good.

Thank you for the reply, retroviridae. What advice do you have for someone trying to match into A/I?