Questions about Research, Publishing, and Academic Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an informal thread for people who would like to ask Tildy questions about publishing in a peer-reviewed journal. To read his previous posts on this topic, see Tildy's thread on manuscript submission. Suggestions for additional topics to be covered are welcome as well.

To ask Tildy questions about academic medicine, visit his Academic Medicine thread in the Mentor forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tidly

One question here.

Point #10 says, "As a last resort, the editor may offer the reviewer the option of writing an editorial commentary or a letter to the editor in rebuttal of a paper."

I did not know this mechanism existed. Would you therefore say, that "most" letters to the editor regarding specific studies are usually written by the referees themselves? In all these cases, the authors also get a reply. So would you say that in many/most cases, this exchange can be viewed as sort of a review, that has gone public?

Tidly

One question here.

Point #10 says, "As a last resort, the editor may offer the reviewer the option of writing an editorial commentary or a letter to the editor in rebuttal of a paper."

I did not know this mechanism existed. Would you therefore say, that "most" letters to the editor regarding specific studies are usually written by the referees themselves? In all these cases, the authors also get a reply. So would you say that in many/most cases, this exchange can be viewed as sort of a review, that has gone public?

I think this is actually fairly uncommon. Most SUBMITTED letters to the editor are from folks who either really hate a paper or who want to say "I did research on this too!" Most PUBLISHED letters to the editor are those in which a specific detail of the paper is called into question, often the statistics or experimental techniques. This usually happens after publication.