Questions about Post-Bacc GPA and apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mprin002

Reaction score
Question about how MDs/DOs take into consideration Post-Bacc GPAs?

A little background info on me, so in my undergrad I underperformed and ended up switching majors my sophomore year. Ended up scraping by but graduated. I ended up doing a Post-Bacc and did well.

Undergrad Stats:

Major- Switched from Biochem to Neurobio

Undergrad cGPA: 2.65

Undergrad sGPA: 2.5

Post-Bacc:
45 Units

GPA: 3.91

Committee Letter of Rec

MCAT: 515

W/postbacc:

cGPA: 2.85

sGPA: 2.75

ECs:

300 hrs of Volunteer Experience at a rural hospital

200 hrs of Clinical Experience

250hrs of Shadow Hours with the Department Head of Surgery at my local hospital w/ a letter of rec as well.

Took part in 3 medical missions to the same area in an underserved area in a foreign country (I try to continuously go to the same area and help the same community).

My question is how MDs/DOs would focus on my post bacc stats compared to my undergrad. As well as with the trend. To note, the formal post-bacc program I’m in tends to have alot of their former students get into medical school.

As well, would it be a good idea to call/ask schools directly in regards to my situation? I was told that some schools may take it into consideration and send a secondary because of how screening is.

Members don't see this ad.

Question about how MDs/DOs take into consideration Post-Bacc GPAs?

A little background info on me, so in my undergrad I underperformed and ended up switching majors my sophomore year. Ended up scraping by but graduated. I ended up doing a Post-Bacc and did well.

Undergrad Stats:

Major- Switched from Biochem to Neurobio

Undergrad cGPA: 2.65

Undergrad sGPA: 2.5

Post-Bacc:
45 Units

GPA: 3.91

Committee Letter of Rec

MCAT: 515

W/postbacc:

cGPA: 2.85

sGPA: 2.75

ECs:

300 hrs of Volunteer Experience at a rural hospital

200 hrs of Clinical Experience

250hrs of Shadow Hours with the Department Head of Surgery at my local hospital w/ a letter of rec as well.

Took part in 3 medical missions to the same area in an underserved area in a foreign country (I try to continuously go to the same area and help the same community).

My question is how MDs/DOs would focus on my post bacc stats compared to my undergrad. As well as with the trend. To note, the formal post-bacc program I’m in tends to have alot of their former students get into medical school.

As well, would it be a good idea to call/ask schools directly in regards to my situation? I was told that some schools may take it into consideration and send a secondary because of how screening is.
Plenty of MD schools and all DO will reward reinvention.
Target these:
Emory
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
UCSF
Dartmouth
Sinai (maybe)
Netter
Hofstra
Wake
GWU
SLU
Gtown
Creighton
Seton Hall
NovaMD
TCU/UNT
EVMS
Your state schools
MCW
Drexel
NYMC
Albany
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Miami
Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Plenty of MD schools and all DO will reward reinvention.
Target these:
Emory
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
UCSF
Dartmouth
Sinai (maybe)
Netter
Hofstra
Wake
GWU
SLU
Gtown
Creighton
Seton Hall
NovaMD
TCU/UNT
EVMS
Your state schools
MCW
Drexel
NYMC
Albany
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Rush
Rosy Franklin
Miami
Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.
Thanks Goro! I do know from my post bacc program at East Bay, alot of their applicants ended up being accepted by UCSF. Thanks again for the help.

Reactions: 1 user