Questions about Podiatry....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBJfan23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone i hope you all are doing okay. i have a few questions for those who are currently podiatry residents or are practicing podiatrist.

1) What is the future of Podiatry? is the field growing or not growing? is there a demand for podiatrist? is it worth it to pursue podiatry now?

2) how much can one expect to make right after residency? and also when one is experienced? Economic safety is very important to me.

3) How is the lifestyle of a podiatrist? are you happy with the balance of work and family?

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone i hope you all are doing okay. i have a few questions for those who are currently podiatry residents or are practicing podiatrist.

1) What is the future of Podiatry? is the field growing or not growing? is there a demand for podiatrist? is it worth it to pursue podiatry now?

2) how much can one expect to make right after residency? and also when one is experienced? Economic safety is very important to me.

3) How is the lifestyle of a podiatrist? are you happy with the balance of work and family?

thank you!
Most of these questions were recently discussed on this forum in various threads. Please use search function. There is a lot of good discussions and posts.

I can't answer your question, since I am not Pod student, resident, or podiatrist.

Last edited:

thank you!
Search function.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I love the profession, love the work. However, unless you are able to finance podiatry school without debt, I would not pursue the field. I think you will be busy, but a hard look at the numbers is sobering when you consider loan repayment after taxes then see what's left. Doesn't justify the monetary and time investment.

Reactions: 2 users
I love the profession, love the work. However, unless you are able to finance podiatry school without debt, I would not pursue the field. I think you will be busy, but a hard look at the numbers is sobering when you consider loan repayment after taxes then see what's left. Doesn't justify the monetary and time investment.
Thank you for the reply. Gives me something think about. But as far as the job prospect goes is it reasonable to find work after one gets out of residency??

It's hard for one to predict the future, but I believe the field is growing and more hospitals are beginning to see the value of podiatry. I feel like there will always be a demand for podiatry, especially because of wound care. I think with podiatry you will live a comfy life, but I wouldn't say you would be rich. With tuition getting higher every year, reimbursement getting lower, deductibles getting higher and higher interest rates for loans, I feel like there are better ways to make money. If podiatry is something you are interested in, then I think you'll be happy.

I've heard of starting salaries ranging from 80k-220k.....so it's not hard to find a job, but it's hard to find a job that pays you well and lets you practice your full scope of training. Podiatry is a little strange due to different job positions that have a strong influence over your salary. Whether you work in an ortho group, multispecialty group, large podiatric group, small podiatric group, solo practice or at the hospital there will be a difference in starting salary and your max earning potential.

This is an extremely variable question and it's what you want to make of it. Do you want to take call? Do you want to do wound care? How busy is the practice you work at? How much money do you want to make? I know podiatrist that work 5-6 days a week and take call, others work 3 days a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's hard for one to predict the future, but I believe the field is growing and more hospitals are beginning to see the value of podiatry. I feel like there will always be a demand for podiatry, especially because of wound care. I think with podiatry you will live a comfy life, but I wouldn't say you would be rich. With tuition getting higher every year, reimbursement getting lower, deductibles getting higher and higher interest rates for loans, I feel like there are better ways to make money. If podiatry is something you are interested in, then I think you'll be happy.

I've heard of starting salaries ranging from 80k-220k.....so it's not hard to find a job, but it's hard to find a job that pays you well and lets you practice your full scope of training. Podiatry is a little strange due to different job positions that have a strong influence over your salary. Whether you work in an ortho group, multispecialty group, large podiatric group, small podiatric group, solo practice or at the hospital there will be a difference in starting salary and your max earning potential.

This is an extremely variable question and it's what you want to make of it. Do you want to take call? Do you want to do wound care? How busy is the practice you work at? How much money do you want to make? I know podiatrist that work 5-6 days a week and take call, others work 3 days a week.
Thank you for your insight. :) I do like podiatry and I don't want to be super rich, I just want to be stable enough to support my family, got a lot riding on me! From your insight it seems like podiatry may be in my future. Thanks dude!

Is that your view on medicine in general or podiatry only?
Both, but I think it applies somewhat more to podiatry. I would do everything possible to avoid going into debt, even for a field like medicine. If you really want to be a doc and don't have the money, then go military, they will pay your way. You can do it for podiatry, but there are few slots. Just my opinion.

Non dischargeable debt is nothing to take on lightly, but there really isn’t any other option. There really aren’t in state Pod schools, and by the time you get done with your education it’s gonna be 250-300k in debt.

I wonder how long it will be until payment of student loans can be considered a tax deduction. I think that would really help out doctors, while not absolving them of the debt.

Though most of the pod salaries tend to be in the 150k range, which is around 100k after taxes. If you can live off of 30k/year, you could be debt free in 5 years.

Both, but I think it applies somewhat more to podiatry. I would do everything possible to avoid going into debt, even for a field like medicine. If you really want to be a doc and don't have the money, then go military, they will pay your way. You can do it for podiatry, but there are few slots. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Non dischargeable debt is nothing to take on lightly, but there really isn’t any other option. There really aren’t in state Pod schools, and by the time you get done with your education it’s gonna be 250-300k in debt.

I wonder how long it will be until payment of student loans can be considered a tax deduction. I think that would really help out doctors, while not absolving them of the debt.

Though most of the pod salaries tend to be in the 150k range, which is around 100k after taxes. If you can live off of 30k/year, you could be debt free in 5 years.
Or you could double down. Buy an existing practice that's grossing 600K + (for a reasonable price) and start bringing in closer to 200K after taxes from the beginning. It's nothing more than a business with several variables.

Are there banks that would loan out that much money if someone already has 300K in student loan debt?

Or you could double down. Buy an existing practice that's grossing 600K + (for a reasonable price) and start bringing in closer to 200K after taxes from the beginning. It's nothing more than a business with several variables.

Reactions: 1 user