MSW Questions about MSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a few questions about different programs and housing. Do MSW programs offer graduate housing or would I have to look for apartments? I am planning to move from the Northeast to the Southeast when I apply for programs. I emailed some of the schools but I still haven't heard back from any of them. I am also thinking of applying to a few Counseling programs as a backup plan in case I do not get into any of the programs.

Also, does anyone know about these Clinical Social Work progams:
- Appalachian State University
- Fayetteville State University
- North Carolina A&T/UNC Greensboro Joint MSW
- UNC Chapel Hill
- Limestone University
- Florida International University
- Florida State University

Do you all think I have a chance of getting into any of these programs? My undergrad GPA was a 2.6 while my grad GPA (masters in psych) is a 3.6 so far. I also have no volunteer or clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s been too long since I went to school to pretend to remember what schools are ranked what. There is a forum on The Grad Cafe that has all that info. There is a forum specifically for social work. They can help with stats etc.

Yes, most of the state programs will have housing for grad students. The programs will most likely focus on your graduate GPA, though some of the more competitive programs might consider it. My main advice is to consider cost of the program. There are a few highly competitive schools that cost around 90k for a two year program and you will most likely never make that in a year with an MSW. It’s a huge weight to carry.

Last edited:
My main advice is to consider cost of the program.
1000% agree. Stick with brick and mortar state institutions. It's a plus if that program has been around for a few decades or longer.

Also, if you are deciding between 2 (or more) similar programs, choose one in the area where you see yourself more likely to stay and work so you can take advantage of that program's networking and local reputation. Good luck!